myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tubamancha!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amstrasser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Tubamancha! Reply with quote

Anybody going this weekend? I have not been out there and I am hesitant about going it alone.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch tides.
You can sail Limantour just as well, with off/side/off winds, at the lower tides without the hour pinch upwind.
Tuba is straight offshore wind, so you're sailing full speed DTL and sometimes both directions in super flat water, so it's a fun experience, but is it worth one hour pinch up and 35 minute run back downwind IF the winds stay up. Oftentimes, in dying NW winds, the winds go non planable downwind by 4, while you can still sail Tuba because you're beam reaching.
esteban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what gear you are on but I sail from Limantour beach upwind to Tuba on wave gear in 25 minutes max...sure beats walking up the beach with a funky back pack set up as I have sen some guys do. The DTL long wave rides make it totally worthwhile for me...never had more than a couple turns on the Limantour wave
Spring coming hope its gonna be good!
streetsailing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Tuba Video Reply with quote

http://vimeo.com/7935798
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought if you had a small fishing boat you could launch from Johnson's Oysters go to the end of the slough rig up and climb over the dune.
Anybody ever try this?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking. I"m always up for saving a long hike, or a 1.8 mile upwind pinch with semi wave gear. I'm not good enough to make it up in 25 minutes, I guess. You could of course, take the small boat out thru the opening of the estero and land it on the beach on the S side, rig up and you're easily out.
Now that few windsurf in waves, any ideas on saving the walk down to PaloMarin? I'm feeble, and have trouble handling the first part with board, sail, and wetsuit. The long way around is just too far, at the end of the road. Short steep way, 1/4 mile. Long winding way, just over one mile.
As in aside, normally, drought years make for great NW winds, and great for winds in general. Should we revive Palo as a viable surfsailiing spot?
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
I always thought if you had a small fishing boat you could launch from Johnson's Oysters go to the end of the slough rig up and climb over the dune.
Anybody ever try this?

Don't think it is legal as you can only kayak and the Estaro is closed to kayaking from March 1st to June either 1st or 31st. Pup season!
I could be wrong but I think the oyster farm only has legal right for a motor boat. I have thought of this myself and kayak out there but it would be one h@ll of a paddle back in a head wind of 28+ wind with all your gear strapped to a sea kayak. It's hard enough when the wind get's to 15mph to paddle back, I have done it many times.
tcevans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about launching from Drakes Bay road beach? It looks closer on google maps and more of a reach. Is it more obstructed by hills? Any camping near (either) beach?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the hostel at Limatour still operate?
Motels in Inverness about 10 miles away.
Cliffs make sailing back to Drakes grim. I"ve sailed back and forth across the mouth, not what I"d call fun. Cliffs as high as 100'.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try it too...never been but ready to pay my dues.

If I had to guess, with nobody to tell me better, I'd try to sail it up from Limantour. Even a long crappy upwind beat is better than carrying that shit up miles of beach. Of course if you were marginally powered it would completely suck, or even worse you'd never make it...just putz along back and forth at Limantour going nowhere.

PM me or respond here or email pacspeed@gmail.com...lets get it on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: