myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who is fighting regulation of mercury?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Texans are pretty quick to shoot thieves.

They and Bard would love New Mexico's laws, which (as of 1999) authorize any citizen the use of deadly force to stop ANY felon, no matter how hard he's running away while carrying a hamburger wrapper he lifted off the seat of your open convertible. In addition, any non-felon can walk the streets with a Glock strapped to his hip.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF is about as real world as it gets. This place is on fire right now, with entrenpeneurs racing here to get a part of the American dream, work for Intel, or Google, or Apple...its incredible, but guess what ? you need a serious degree, and be willing to work your ass off...so that disqualifies 99% of the population.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
if that mother would have had access to free contraceptives

It's fine that YOU wish to buy her contraceptives -- go right ahead -- but what right do you have to put a gun to your atheist, let alone Catholic, neighbor's head (or authorize the government to do that in your behalf) to force HIM to buy them? That's exactly what you're advocating. Hell, even Fidel Castro admitted that form of government has failed.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
How about paying the needed taxes to ensure that "those that didn't have the guidance from a stable family structure" are less subject to "end up breaking the law"? You know, invest more in assisting them early on through education rather than punishing them later? That would be my choice.

I agree.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb said:
Quote:
How about paying the needed taxes to ensure that "those that didn't have the guidance from a stable family structure" are less subject to "end up breaking the law"? You know, invest more in assisting them early on through education rather than punishing them later? That would be my choice.

If I believed this would work, great. However, without a respectful, motivated student from a caring family, it won't happen. Kids without a solid family behind them very rarely make it, regardless of the money thrown at education. This hasn't changed in my life time, but it is getting worse.

Once in the penal system, yes, some sort of education and training should be attempted in the hope that some will get smart enough to stay out.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

You may be aware that over here, many junior schools (5 year old intake) are increasingly facing major problems. Many children have never so much as opened a book, and some are not even toilet trained.

Sounds a bit like here.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Increasingly, they have NO concept of self control. They want their own way, and want it now!

Why are you talking about our republican congressmen?

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
To compound the problem, sensible sanctions have been removed from teachers. Even a stern telling off can be construed as verbal abuse, with said teacher being 'hung out to dry' by the very authorities who should be backing them. People now just want to cover their own backs, and not stand up and be counted.

I think that we suffer much the same here, though it's worse in our public schools. Private school teachers have much more authority. (Note that "public" and "private" schools mean something else to you.)

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Some universities complain that they are forced to run 'remedial' tuition to their new intake, to bring them up to par.

Very true. I regularly see young students fresh from high school who cannot compose a complete sentence.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
...effectively applied sanctions, and punishment for those who refuse to display self discipline and accept a commitment to civilised behaviour are necessary.

I agree completely. Though I'm a liberal, I *do* believe in strict discipline -- which is sorely lacking in many of our public schools and colleges and universities. Our standards have declined over the decades to accommodate everyone rather than the top half (let's say). The result is that kids get away with murder, parents don't know or care, and the legal system protects the guilty. The better children are bored and the bottom kids are demotivated and don't want to learn.

It unfortunately goes back to parenting and home life and values.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
techno900 wrote:
Costs? A bunch, but I am willing to pay the needed taxes to support ample jails and prisons.

Also, what do people here think of corporal punishment (e.g. caning) as an alternative to prison time (or lack thereof)? I have mixed feelings about this concept, but think that an adequate/humane implementation could potentially be a cheaper and much less harmful deterrent than jail time, at least for first and/or non-violent offenses.

Unfortunately here in Los Angeles education is bearing the brunt of the cutbacks. Parents are being asked to make up the shortfalls through donations. Works OK in my "privileged" neighborhood. For everyone else, the cut backs likely mean the school system will barely prepare them to be a Walmart greeter.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Unfortunately here in Los Angeles education is bearing the brunt of the cutbacks. Parents are being asked to make up the shortfalls through donations. Works OK in my "privileged" neighborhood. For everyone else, the cut backs likely mean the school system will barely prepare them to be a Walmart greeter.

All a motivated kid of normal learning ability needs to graduate is a book, an adequate teacher in an adequate classroom, some classroom discipline, and an adequate home life. That minimum level needs decent parents, good school officials, an end to political correctness and insane laws*, and the eradication of teachers' unions more than it needs tons of cash.

* May I presume you all saw the details of the story about the principal who looked into a little girl's lunchbox, took away her legally balanced home-fixed meal, made her eat the cafeteria junk food I would not eat, and BILLED HER PARENTS FOR THE JUNK FOOD?

Donations? While criminally incompetent teachers are immune from dismissal because of the damned unions? [/i]
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"* May I presume you all saw the details of the story about the principal who looked into a little girl's lunchbox, took away her legally balanced home-fixed meal, made her eat the cafeteria junk food I would not eat, and BILLED HER PARENTS FOR THE JUNK FOOD?"

I think most of us would appreciate some real facts about what you're commenting on. I hope that you have more to offer than just Fox News commentary.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I think most of us would appreciate some real facts about what you're commenting on. I hope that you have more to offer than just Fox News commentary.

I KNEW it! You guys really aren't getting real news ... voluntarily!. All I've seen is two weeks of videos, extensive local news coverage, personal live interviews with the girl's mom, the public apology (but NOT one to the Mom!) issued by the school administration after it got publicity they could not ignore, and I've not even been paying attention to it beyond the first few news stories on it because it's nothing new ... it's gotten more press than the BFF/FFF issue EXCEPT in the left wing media, where it would and certainly should cost the Nanny State advocates a few million votes.

Back to peace and quiet ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: