myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who is fighting regulation of mercury?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard would you cut the police force in Malibu or in Cal in half?
It would save taxes.
How about all those noise regs and rules against building a meat packing plant in Malibu?
Neither you or I care for gov.or an overegulated society but I cant think of many rules I would change either.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
With regard to regulation, I see it this way. If you took half the cops off the street would you see a doubling in murders. The answer is absolutely no. You might see a 1% spike or so. Same with regulations. If you make sensible rules, and have sensible enforcement, you don't need an entire epa full of bloated yes men.

Taking the cops off wall street created a 12 trillion dollar bubble and bust:
http://www.portfolio.com/executives/features/2008/09/18/Profile-of-SEC-Chief-Christopher-Cox/index1.html

Questioning and cutting superfluous regulations makes perfect sense, yet what you're attacking is the regulating agencies themselves. That means, you are attacking the very legitimacy of the advocate for the public good versus private interests.

Look at it this way: if you're so bent on driving across dry river beds (wetlands) and you do manage to break your oil pan, the next rain might wash the mess elsewhere and it's not your problem anymore. I can't walk up to you and force you to act responsibly, but I am sure glad the EPA can.

It takes a small measure of intelligence and imagination to put yourself into the shoes of the other person and realize that you do in fact benefit greatly from many of the protections and regulations you so despise. I am sure that thought is lurking somewhere in your head already.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no more regulated industry than the nuke biz. Because my work is in an area of new techniques,which we were developing on site, I was writing procedures for filling holes. In that biz a procedure is treated as a regulation.
You can not do anything else after that.
Soon our procedures and the bulky naming and cross-referencing of them became phonebook size.
We laughed.It became two phonebooks.And a novel.
New rule:we had to carry them with us everywhere.No longer funny, we have to carry a lot of tools also.We asked permission to leave the new procedure books in our office to refer to when needed.We wrote that book.We did not need it.
They gave us a guy making $75/hr to follow us carrying the books.
Sometimes both Bard and I feel that the whole USA is going that way.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
There is no more regulated industry than the nuke biz. Because my work is in an area of new techniques,which we were developing on site, I was writing procedures for filling holes. In that biz a procedure is treated as a regulation.
You can not do anything else after that.
Soon our procedures and the bulky naming and cross-referencing of them became phonebook size.
We laughed.It became two phonebooks.And a novel.
New rule:we had to carry them with us everywhere.No longer funny, we have to carry a lot of tools also.We asked permission to leave the new procedure books in our office to refer to when needed.We wrote that book.We did not need it.
They gave us a guy making $75/hr to follow us carrying the books.
Sometimes both Bard and I feel that the whole USA is going that way.

Enter the iPad. Smile Pays for itself in about 10 hours.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd get along just fine with half of the govt employees we have today, except the military. And yes I would cut half of the police, and load up on some more 9mm ammo.

Secondly, I've never supported the Wall st bailout. I wish those criminals had been left out to dry, then we wouldn't need so many regs or regulators. I do however support incentives that make it easier for manufacturing agriculture and construction business to re-establish themselves here, which means less govt intrusion and less regulation. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARGUE, JUST GO TO ANY CITY HALL AND ASK WHAT IT TAKES TO DO ANY OF THE ABOVE THINGS.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Nah Steven. It's not that there are too many police. They just go for the soft targets!

We have regular cartoons in our papers showing half the counties police force descending, lights flashing and sirens blaring, on some hapless motorist who has stopped on a yellow line, (or some innocent 5 year old who enquiringly asks a black boy if he is from Africa), while a couple of streets away unchecked gang warfare, drug dealing, stabbings and shootings and general mayhem is the order of the day!

Cartoons? How about real life? I got a face full of loud, angry cop for several minutes while he told me twice that the only reason he was not arresting me for reckless driving compounded by public endangerment was because he was the first responder on an urgent call to an ongoing home invasion. I think all that saved both him and me from a trial with lawyers (in this state, the charge would likely have led to losing my insurance, my license, and possibly my car) was my polite reminder that he should be on his way to that home invasion in case some housewife's life was in danger.

What had I done? Turned a corner at 20 mph in a 40 mph zone, with just enough throttle to slip my back tires 4-5 inches laterally (that's what he claimed; I don't believe it, as I have full time AWD). The only other vehicle within 500 meters was the cop, who had made the same turn 50 meters in front of me.

These idiot cops in this state not only have me watching my speedometer much more closely than I watch the road ... seriously ... but played a big part in my selling that car last week for a less notorious model. The cop admitted that he was watching me for a violation specifically because of the car I was driving.

Meanwhile, according to the newspaper, automobile THIEVES (not burglars) get zero jail time until their SEVENTH grand theft auto conviction in Washington state. IMO, they should get a year, then 5 years, then life in prison for their first three convictions.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Meanwhile, according to the newspaper, automobile THIEVES (not burglars) get zero jail time until their SEVENTH grand theft auto conviction in Washington state. IMO, they should get a year, then 5 years, then life in prison for their first three convictions.

Who's going to pay for all that jail time? I've read that it costs from $50,000 to $100,000 per year to keep someone locked up, all funded by taxpayers.

Your tax dollars at work?
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
We'd get along just fine with half of the govt employees we have today, except the military. And yes I would cut half of the police, and load up on some more 9mm ammo.

Is there an emoticon for "slapping my forehead"?

Of all things we can't cut the military, of course. Although we're spending almost as much as the entire rest of the world combined. Please, tell me what good eighteen Ohio-class nuclear missile subs have done for the US in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars....

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately pueno, that's the same argument (it costs too much to imprison) thet's been employed over here, for too long.

Consequently, repeat offenders, even for quite serious crimes, from whom the public should long ago have been protected are given ineffective tagging and curfew orders (slap on the wrist...and please don't be naughty anymore) which do not prevent them from simply reoffending.

Part of the problem is lack of 'zero tolerance' to petty crime. (Wasn't 'zero tolerance' introduced in some American cities, to great effect?) As any school master soon learns, ignore the lesser transgressions and you pretty soon have problems. It is not lost on'baddies' that if law enforcement (including sentencing) is weak, crime pays!

Such things as city 'no go areas' for ordinary folk were not evident within my living memory, and I often wandered city streets alone, late at night, with no thought of trouble. Only a fool would do so nowadays. There is no doubt in my mind that the streets were safer then,, as were we inside our own homes. (We had no need to turn them into a fortress.)

As an intelligent liberal pueno, I'd be interested to hear your ideas as to what should be done, to reverse the descent of society into lawlessness? It does seem to me be be heading in that direction!
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

As an intelligent liberal pueno, I'd be interested to hear your ideas as to what should be done, to reverse the descent of society into lawlessness? It does seem to me be be heading in that direction!

Enlightened but very serious education, starting at the age of 5.

You guys still do "forms" in school? I did, even here in the States, and got the stuffing whacked outta me for misbehaving -- had to do extra chores in the 3rd form until my fingers were raw, just because I spoke back to a master.

I still remember those six years. Hated it then, but I know it gave me an appreciation for hard work and respect for those deserving respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: