myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who is fighting regulation of mercury?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed there is no response from Virginia. I was hoping for something suitable for parody, such as exposure to toxics is a neo-Darwinist strategy for improving the species, along the line of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Or perhaps there is an officially sanctioned list of approved air toxics from the Catholic bishops that includes mercury and particulate matter, and comes complete with plenary indulgences for those exposed?
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
...one of the lab techs spilled a dab of mercury on his lab coat.

And to think of all the kids who flinched and bit off a (mercury) thermometer back in those days, swallowing liquid mercury. It boggles the mind.

I wonder if that explains the GOP and Faux News clowns?

isobars wrote:
...douse him heavily with some powder that absorbs mercury...

Powdered zinc. Forms an amalgam.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should check Iso and Michelle Bach for visible brain lesions.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to regulation, I see it this way. If you took half the cops off the street would you see a doubling in murders. The answer is absolutely no. You might see a 1% spike or so. Same with regulations. If you make sensible rules, and have sensible enforcement, you don't need an entire epa full of bloated yes men.

True story. Tentants in an apt building started coughing and had severe watering of the eyes and trouble breathing so they called in the hazmat team. Full dress dozens looked like astronauts as firemen broke down doors, only to find a mexican lady making chile rellenos.

Here are photos of a kiter being rescued here in malibu a couple of days ago where they brought in dozens of lifeguards, dozens of firemen, 5 jet skis, an inflateable boat, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. coastguard, and dozens of L.A. county and Ventura county sherrifs, along with Urban search and rescue. The guy refused to let go of his kite when he was only 100 yards off shore. He ended up a mile out when rescued.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With regard to regulation, I see it this way. If you took half the cops off the street would you see a doubling in murders. The answer is absolutely no. You might see a 1% spike or so. Same with regulations. If you make sensible rules, and have sensible enforcement, you don't need an entire epa full of bloated yes men."

Bard, do you think you're really making sense?

First, removal of cops off the street doesn't change any laws or regulations, so it's a mystery to me why you're introducing it under that tent.

Secondly, you seem to be suggesting that regulations are not sensible as they now stand. We all know that less rules and regulations only leaves us with less legal authority when problems arise. Are you so naive to assume that some folks won't take advantage of a less regulated environment? All you have to do is look to the past for a wealth of evidence how some have trashed the environment in terrible, and sometimes irreparable ways.

Do you remember "Tin Can Beach"? Now, littering is a relatively minor offense in the scheme of things, but even today it isn't too hard to find litter everywhere you go. So much for assuming that folks will readily do the right thing.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
I think we should check Iso and Michelle Bach for visible brain lesions.

Palin, too.

But certain physical limitations mean those lesions would be small.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno--there's great silence from Virginia, probably upset that we didn't buy his argument that regulations representing 0.04% of GNP are causing all the economic problems. So can you help me with the current "market" value for indulgences? I have a coach from College Park who is in the market, and all he can find for comps is priests.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Chandler, we put the govt on every street corner? 50 responders turn up for a single kiter, hazmat crews for chile rellenos, wetland fines where there is no water? The whole system is crazy.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Steven. It's not that there are too many police. They just go for the soft targets!

We have regular cartoons in our papers showing half the counties police force descending, lights flashing and sirens blaring, on some hapless motorist who has stopped on a yellow line, (or some innocent 5 year old who enquiringly asks a black boy if he is from Africa), while a couple of streets away unchecked gang warfare, drug dealing, stabbings and shootings and general mayhem is the order of the day!

Think Gilbert and Sullivan ....the brave Gendarmes.. we run 'em in etc.

Human nature, innit?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, rhetorical sarcasm doesn't ever help make one's point as it is largely non-responsive. Perhaps addressing the issue directly could help.

As for the emergency responders, those I know often comment that some instances of en masse turnout for small cases is directed by the commanders as "live training" exercises. Perhaps emergency services' over attendance is ssuch an example rather than attributable to their stupidity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: