myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Auto bailouts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just one more link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_United_States
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
ok, just one more link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_United_States

Many of those stats don't mention the fact that there are 20 million illegal aliens in the U.S., most without insurance. They arrive eager to work, yes, and willing to work for no insurance. That reflects on the fact that some 10th generation Americans also cannot or will not work for those wages. The end result, lower wages, benefits, more welfare, and a shorter life expectancy. If we hadn't allowed so many in the 1st place, the dynamics would be very different.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a single category that, given at least adequate ranking in the others, transcends all in my mind. Quality of life!

Quality of life is subjective. Greeks, Romans, Stone Age Brits must have known so. In times of strife and emotional turmoil I didn't go to the doctors, I sat at the base of the main tower inside York Minster, back against a column just gazing up at the stained glass window and vaulted roof, absorbing the atmosphere and history of the place.

Once, I was lucky enough to be sitting there alone late on a Summers evening, with the sun streaming through the huge stained glass window, as the organist was playing a cantata. It was emotionally and spiritually overwhelming as the music reverborated through that magnificent structure, and it could have been two hundred years back in time. No medical treatment on earth could have been so healing. If I was terminally ill, that is the place to which I'd return.

Our experiences in life make us what we now are, and that is where we belong. Tabulating things means little to some of us.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had this discussion about comparing the quality of health care delivery before. One indicator that those that wish to define health care success by life expectancy might be interested to know...

Minnesota and Sweden have almost identical life expectancies.
Hawaii is only about 6 mo. less than Japan.
Italy and California are within 1 yr.
Mississippi is nearly 8 years less than Hawaii!!!

Health care or healthy living?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
i think it is the responsibility of those that have so much to help take care of those that may not be born to privilege.

and yes there's always the bitchin' about universal healthcare here in Canada too,and no, its not perfect, but

i'd much rather have the system we have, than the 'American style' healthcare the right are constantly trying to copy.

Do you have the slightest concept of how many hundreds of thousands of dirt poor Americans got filthy rich the old fashioned way: by EARNING it?

A HUGE amount of the bitching about the Canadian and UK NHS comes frrom informed Canadians and Brits, from the streets to the highest bastions of their governments and health care systems ... not to mention dying people online who hear about the differences between their shitty care and the less shitty care we get in the US.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Tabulating things means little to some of us.
And that's exactly why the Left can't comprehend simple economics, from "Ya can't keep spending what ya don't have" to "How does it make ANY sense to take money from the productive, skim a big chunk off for the government till, and give what's left to the unproductive".

It's why the Left favors prose that can't even be diagrammed, let alone acted upon, while the Right prefers discrete and actionable and accountable ... dare I say BULLET? ... points.

It's why touchy feely Leftie idiots often treat their cancer according to what their DEAD Uncle Joe did, while pragmatic Righties dig into the tabulated research and make informed, actually USEFUL, decisions.

It's why using -- in the worst sense of the word -- some frigging starving or crippled ISOLATED child to suck votes and cash from the public should be criminal when the politician knows damned well little Johnny is an isolated -- often proved later to be bogus -- case.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again,from what was posted earlier..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States
not as many as you think..
it seems its a dream.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt wrote

Quote:
There is a single category that, given at least adequate ranking in the others, transcends all in my mind. Quality of life!

Quality of life is subjective. Greeks, Romans, Stone Age Brits must have known so. In times of strife and emotional turmoil I didn't go to the doctors, I sat at the base of the main tower inside York Minster, back against a column just gazing up at the stained glass window and vaulted roof, absorbing the atmosphere and history of the place.

Once, I was lucky enough to be sitting there alone late on a Summers evening, with the sun streaming through the huge stained glass window, as the organist was playing a cantata. It was emotionally and spiritually overwhelming as the music reverborated through that magnificent structure, and it could have been two hundred years back in time. No medical treatment on earth could have been so healing. If I was terminally ill, that is the place to which I'd return.

Our experiences in life make us what we now are, and that is where we belong. Tabulating things means little to some of us.

Amen! I appreciate your posts the most, then Mac's, then Boggsman, then....
NickB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It's why touchy feely Leftie idiots often treat their cancer according to what their DEAD Uncle Joe did, while pragmatic Righties dig into the tabulated research and make informed, actually USEFUL, decisions.

Did he really just write that? someone REALLY needs to get his head checked, it's getting morbid...
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
isobars wrote:

Did he really just write that? someone REALLY needs to get his head checked, it's getting morbid...

Naahhh........

He's spoofing the forum -- probably laughing his head off that his intentional utter and complete nonsense generates controversy.

Those are textbook examples of Isofacts. If we dug a little, we'd probably learn that they came from Beck or Hannity or Palin or O'Reilly or Limbaugh or Bachmann or Coulter or Malkin or Breitbart or Rove -- sure sources of top-grade, made-up fertilizer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: