myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Footstrap question Reply with quote

My very old Fanatic CAT has some very old footstraps.
I purchased some new RRD straps at a good price.
As I have never put brand new straps, I was a little surprised at the effort.
Finally felt the one strap done was okay and then read about using the clip inside the strap.
The original straps had plastic clips and were often in pieces rather than a strap. An example photo is enclosed.

now to the question ...

is the strap or pieces required inside the new RRD straps or are the screws sufficient ??

thanx 4 understanding
joe windsurfer @ http://joewindsurfer.com

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two major issues must be assessed and addressed:
1. Are your screw heads big enough to prevent the strap from tearing off of them? Without washers, I doubt it.

2. Are your screws short enough that you did not blow the bottoms out of the inserts in your board? Unscrew and lift one end of a strap, shove its screw thoroughly through the strap hole, measure the depth of the screw hole in the board, and hope to hell the screw could not have bottomed out in the board. If there's ANY hint that it could have done so, check them all out.

You ARE using a drill, not a screwdriver, we hope. The former reduces the task of changing 4 straps to an effortless three-minute task.

Mike \m/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a screwdriver so as NOT to bottom out screws
however, i will put washers !!!
metal that is

thank you mike aka isobars
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, use basic bar soap to reduce friction of the screw into the plastic. Never, ever use a power drill-driver at full speed. It can easily melt the plastic of the insert. That said, I always use a drill-driver at higher torque and lower speed with the clutch set low. Slow is safe.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
i use a screwdriver so as NOT to bottom out screws

That's not the issue. The issue is screw length. If getting the top of the screw tight enough to prevent strap twist or strap hole wear sends the point of the screw through the bottom of the screw hole, the board will be on its slow but inexorable way to the scrap heap. It pays to double, even triple, check. Your Grandma could damage the insert with a screwdriver and an overlong screw, while even an overcharged 20 volt Lithium Ion Milwaulkee impact driver set on 18 and handled by a linebacker on steroids isn't going to drive the proper length screw into the core unless ... maybe ... he thinks it's a sledge hammer rather than a drill.

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember those straps. those washers were meant to be used with countersunk screws. they have the anti-twist teeth in them. the screws had machine threads, not sheet metal/wood. careful to not strip the inserts. i always use screw drivers for foot straps. takes a bit longer, but the inserts don't get stripped/bottomed out, the screw heads don't get shredded, and the extraneous strap fixtures are less likely to be screwed up.

keep it simple. the drill thing is not worth the dangers of screwing up this simple task. plus, if you've done 100 or more boards in a few dayz, you're hands become quite strong.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you John, using a good screwdriver might take a bit longer, but it safely gets the job done.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I'm with you John, using a good screwdriver might take a bit longer, but it safely gets the job done.

That and the batteries never wear out!

johnl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys own modern cordless drills? It sounds like you don't (and Mike obviously does). There are settings for the amount of resistance. If you set it low, it will NOT overdrive the screw unless like Mike said, the screw is too long. Think of it as a mini torque wrench. Once the setting is reached, it stops. I think mine has over 20 settings, and the lower ones I can generate more power with two fingers on a screwdriver.

That said, I use a hand screwdriver most of the time, because I tend not to take my power tools with me to windsurfing sites Smile BUT if I'm at home, power all the way baby.....

Oh yeah, MORE important that the screwdriver is what is UNDER your board when you work on it. If there are irregularities in the ground, and if they are sharp, your weight on the board can cause a penetration through the skin on the bottom. So now I am very careful and always place a thick towel under the section I am working on.....
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all own cordless adjustable clutch screw guns.
Takes no pressure to punch thru the bottom of soft plastic footstrap inserts.
As Mike said, most important the screw length + strap is less than the depth of the hole of the insert.
The white spacer/strapkeeps provide SPACING and anti twist. BOTH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: