myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trying to start windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: bought a setup Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

So just thought I would give you all an update, while not the ideal board I purchased a bic veloce 328 in great condition, with a full rig including 2 sails, a 4.5m in fair shape and either a 5.5 or 6m in good shape, for $280. I know it's not 100% ideal, reviews online say that it's boarder line for learning on, but I'm looking at the thing and I really don't see myself having an issue balancing on this beast, and hoping that being able to surf a shortboard no problem will translate a little at least for standing.

The guy showed me how to set it up, and I practiced a few times yesterday and don't have an issue with that. I looked into getting lessons, but most of them run in the $100-200 range and aren't available till the spring, so I'm just going to do what I did with surfing and self teach-plus (I think I'll enjoy the challenge of it.) I have been studying/learning how to sail from our friend youtube and this book called "Start Windsurfing Right," where it teaches how a sailing works and all the basics. So I don't get myself in trouble, first thing I will learn how to do is the self rescue techniques they are talking about, followed by uphalling, 180 degree turns, turning and sailing up wind. I plan on trying somewhere near atlantic city this friday afternoon as long as the wind stays fairly light.
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: bought a setup Reply with quote

NjSurfbum23 wrote:
I plan on trying somewhere near atlantic city this friday afternoon as long as the wind stays fairly light.

That would be Lakes Bay, a nice shallow enclosed bay where you can't get in to too much trouble. You access it from the parking lot behind the Comfort Inn on Black Horse Pike. There's also a windsurfing shop there, Extreme Windsurfing. They're closed for the season until April, but you can still use the beach and rigging area there.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that in addition to looking at wind strength, you also take into account wind direction. Lakes Bay is a fine place to learn, but not on northerly winds (which are presently forecast for this Friday). Any direction from NW to NE will be heavily offshore there, so in addition to being extra gusty, you also run the risk of getting blown down wind a mile away from your launch (the large hotel at the site makes dealing with the offshore breeze even more difficult). Based on the current forecast and the time of year, you're likely to be the only person there. Lakes Bay's best direction is Southerly winds although west should also work fine.

Regarding your board choice, the Bic Veloce 328 is a decent board and it sounds like you paid a fair price, or even better than fair. However the Veloce is more along the lines of a transition board based on it's size. It's not nearly as wide as today's beginner boards, so while it may look like it will be a stable platform, it may actaully feel pretty tippy. Learning windsurfing is not simply a matter of balancing on the board, but also dealing with the sail at the same time. In any case, it sounds like you have the right attitude and have been doing your homework, so you should have no problem working with that board and learning as long as you understand that it isn't the easiest board to learn on (especially for average and large size adults).

sm

Last edited by bred2shred on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice above.

All windsurfers, especially in the winter should always analyze the situation before heading out.

Wind speed
Wave action
Wind direction
Water temp
Air temp
Gear to stay warm if swimming for an hour or sitting on your board for an hour.
Where you will end up if blown away or gear failure or board/sail separation
Other water traffic for rescue or collisions

The learning curve is slow and even more so on a "smaller board". It takes time, but persistence will pay off. On a large beginner board, one quickly learns sail handling, steering and turning. On a smaller board, you will waste lots of time climbing on, uphauling, falling off, and repeating it over and over again. Some get through this faster than others, but be warned.
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: first session Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
So class got canceled for the afternoon, and I made my way down to Lakes bay. I tried it from about two o'clock till sunset. After about 45 minutes of picking up the sail and falling into the water, I learned to consistently up hall and not fall regular and goofy footed. It def is a lot more wobbely than I anticipated, but I feel comfortable doing it now. Learning to windsurf sure will be a challenge. By the end of the day, I was able to cruise downwind and turn towards/away from the wind. My biggest issue was the wind being so light, I had difficulty figuring out which way it was blowing!

I did get myself into a situation where the sail came disconnected from the board (No clue how that happened). I put the sail on the back of the board, laid down on all of it and paddled back in without an issue.

Anyway this friday I may be sailing in the lavalette area as you guys recommended. (possible chance to regular surf on saturday, so I will be heading to my parents place in brick from south jersey) When looking for a place to launch, should I always be looking for sideshore or onshore winds? Which is safer? I'm assuming avoid offshore winds for the time being for obvious reasons.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started windsurfing at OceanBeachSanFrancisco about my 10th day. Should have waited another 2 years. Cool
If the surf is small enough, like 2', long period, easy channels, and sideshore winds, go for it. If it's waist high, get ready for some swimming action. A quick uphaul is needed, not 2 tries, but the first and quickly.
Onshore winds can be tough, as the wind AND the waves push you right back to shore and shallower waters.....shallower than you can sail in.
Did you fix the mast base problem?
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jeeze yeah no I'm not going to wind surf in the ocean for a long time, just regular old fashion surf surf if the winds go offshore. mast/base problem is fixed for the most part-now I'm just having some issue disconnecting the joint from the mast base extension
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...
I presumed (mistakenly) that all surfers wanted to learn to windsurf so they can enjoy the free ride out to the lineup, so they can have mobility and vision once outside, so they can catch more waves and have fun heading in, out, or just generally screwing around.
I've taken my friends out in the surf while they were still in the uphaul stage, and uphauling in 5' whitewater, bigger waves, is very doable with your size board.
But, to each his own.
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one day if all goes well
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got some gear. I think I posted this in this thread before, but if not:

http://vimeo.com/user6832254/videos/page:2/sort:newest

Look for the videos called "Intro to Windsurfing" - they will help out.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: