myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trying to start windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said the ocean was out of reach. I said that he should expect that the ocean is basically off limits for the first year. For the average windsurfer, I believe that's a more than reasonable statement (let's face it, the vast majority of windsurfers NEVER sail in the ocean).

If he picks up windsurfing at an extremely fast rate, anything's possible, but going out in the Atlantic without a solid foundation of at least basic windsurfing skills (tacking, uphauling, waterstarting, staying upwind, using the harness, and being able to do some type of gybe) is not a good idea IMO. Plenty of opportunities to get the fundamentals nailed down sailing in the bay and have a total blast doing it.

sm
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yeah- Don't get me wrong, those are definitely great skills to have- and I agree, Bay Sailing is awesome and it's a much better place than the ocean to progress to higher wind skills like planing, footstraps, harness, etc...

My point is simply that if the OP (or anyone else for that matter) has any interest in getting in to the ocean, it's a lot more accessible than many folks imagine. I honestly don't think that all of those skills listed are necessary to sail in the ocean, especially if you choose your conditions (mellow) and equipment (huge board) wisely.

This is all coming from personal experience in teaching friends who are already surfers how to windsurf, and noting how quickly and easily they take to cruising around in the ocean and catching a few waves... especially compared to learning how to sail in the straps/harness/high wind blasting... (which they also tend to pick up pretty quickly, in the sound, after feeling the sensations of apparent wind and planing speed while windsurfing on a wave face).

It's just another approach to learning the sport for the folks who are already comfortable out in the ocean, that's all... Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further clarify my rational here...

If you've taught enough people, you notice that almost everybody says "How do I go faster?" at some point during their very first lesson. There are two legit answers:

1) Spend a good bit of time and effort learning some more fundamentals so that you can use a bigger sail and smaller board in higher winds. Some people can go faster in an hour, but most people will require a LOT of practice before they're able to get up to planing speeds.

2) Use almost the exact same rig that you're using now, go into the ocean in only 10 mph of wind, learn just a couple of new skills (like how to swim your rig into a safe position so that you don't get creamed), and go catch a wave. Bingo! 15 mph board speed in 10 mph wind as soon as they catch that first wave. Very little skill required, but it's guaranteed that they're now hooked on the sport.

The second answer obviously depends on the student- Folks who are already surfers have a lot of knowledge built up when it comes to just "being" in the ocean, and it all directly translates to windsurfing safely out there. For folks who haven't ever surfed or boogie boarded or anything like that, then, Yes, having a larger windsurfing skill set will make life a Whole Lot Better.

Just some food for thought.

http://wind-nc.com
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so after reading all of the forums and feedback, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a bic techno 293. Still will take a lesson, but if one pops up for cheap on craigslist I will try and jump on it. Are there ways to tell if an older model board would be comparable to it, or are hybrid boards a newer concept?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restarted about a year ago, and I'm quite happy with the choices I made.

I didn't need courses to start, but was able to rent gear for cheap before deciding on my setup. I sail on lake/rivers.

A complete beginner board is nice for the first few times, but is a total pig while not planning. A longboard is the perfect setup for me. Since glide was important too, I looked for boards with less than 80 cm width.

D0uglass advised more thant 180l with a daggerboard. I would add less than 80 cm width. It can be a bit unstable at first, but not difficult at all, and your board will have good glide: you will keep it longer. Many free boards will fit the bill. Make sure that the daggerboard is included, and that the mast foot is also included and easy to retrofit if required.

I ended up buying a used Kona One because I knew by then that I will always keep a longboard in my quiver. This board planes much better than I expected too.

Technos are good, but there is no need to focus on those. If you have storage room and a roof rack, you might in fact prefer a longer board for the glide. And feel free to ask about whatever you find on this forum, there will always be someone knowledgeable about the board to help you.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a longbarad will keep you on the water more often than not. You will be able to add a 125lt freeride for hardly anything. I just asked my son who did alot of learning last summer which he liked better the Kona one or the Tiga FreeX79. He ended up thinking the Kona was better for him. BTW he also spent a ton of time using it as a SUP.

We took the Tiga to Fl this winter and he spent his time learning tp plane. He also observed that in light winds he got blown down wind alot.

He's 17 btw and not all that athlectic but is enjoying the learning experience.

On the other hand, last summer I was asked by neighbors at our cottage on Lake Erie for an intro to WS. They were a husband wife team. They were both in early 30's. The wife was a retired pro figure skater and the husband is a snowboard instructor.

In lite wind 5-8 with a wave 5m after hours of up haul splash they both said thanks but no thanks. They both tried on the kona and the tiga.

I did get a note that they want to try again next summer......

I don't know how to teach balence

I did the same with snow boarding didn't like it, just prefered my skiis.
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NjSurfbum23 wrote:
I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a bic techno 293.

One thing to keep in mind about the Techno 293: Most longboards, including the Kona and the Viper that have been mentioned earlier in this thread, have full-deck EVA. That means the whole top of the board is covered with this kind of soft foam stuff. It adds a little bit of weight, but it really saves your knees when you're climbing back up on the board. The Techno doesn't have the full deck EVA. If you do end up getting that board, you'll probably want to invest in a pair of neoprene knee pads or something to protect your knees.
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I love my 293od. Great learning board and planes surprisingly early for it"s weight. Hard to fall of this board and you can use large sails in low wind and plane in higher winds,also glides well thru lulls.Fin box is a bic thing and could be considered a draw back.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doesn't help the OP but... Bic saw the light and are now using Deep Tuttle on the 293. No more Trim Box!
acctx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:

As far as venturing into the ocean, I would suggest you expect to stay out of the ocean (windsurfing) for at LEAST one year. Even windsurfing in the ocean after just one year would be quite ambitious. This is because trying to learn basic windsurfing with even small waves and swell will be quite challenging. Not to mention that ending up downwind is more or less unavoidable. The average windsurfer needs several years of experience before heading into the surf, just to put things in perspective. Ocean/wave sailing, even at a basic level, requires a fairly advanced skill set.

sm

I dont think this is necessarily true. We dont get that many sessions here and I was able to sail maui on 4.5 and 75l board in my first season. Once you learn to waterstart you are good to go. I even had to teach myself, if I had taken lessons it would have been much faster. I think planing and straps within 10 sessions. Waterstarting in another 5 sessions. Then probably another 30 or so for a carve jibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: