myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfers & kiters: do we get along?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are just fine between windsurfers and kiters. We have some jokes together (and apart).

I had a few of Dana Miller's bumper stickers on my van ("If it was easy they'd call it kiteboarding" and "cancel this kiteboy") for fun, but when I started SUP surfing and had my first experiences with surfers, I removed them and decided not to even joke about windsurfer/kiter feuds. Yes like all windsurfers I don't like kite lines to come near me, and kiting newbies can be scary, but at the end of the day we're all happy campers.

(Dana's stickers, in case you're curious: http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2008/07/if-it-were-easy-theyd-call-it-kiteboarding.html )

bkiggins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side conversation, how many windsurfers also kite? For wind time on other surfaces, or for those lighter wind days when the WS'ing gear isn't an option.
bates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kites and windsurfers have a tough time together in the waves from my experience. Especially since a more amateur level kiter can more easily get to the point to be able to sail in the waves. I don't think there is an inherent problem with kiting and windsurfing, just that kiting gets less experienced people out faster (which is the draw I think for most of them) and don't know or choose to ignore etiquette. (classic example is a kiter on the way out and hitting a wave someone else has picked up out back, now they are in the way. But that turn is one of the most fun things for them to do, since few are good enough to actually ride a wake or god forbid go down the line.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't get any attitude from the large percentage of kiters who came from WS'ing. The only Jerks I've seen are the younger guys that came from Snow and Skateboarding.

Be glad you WS. You're much less likely to get your stuff ripped off. Shocked

I've got kite gear but the wind has been good enough the last few years I haven't needed to use it.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a social standpoint. If a person is immigrating into the a country, they should adopt that countries social expectations, laws, language etc. they're a guest in that country. Likewise, if you go surfing in Hawaii, you don't just donkey your way to the peak. You wait below the people who are always there, and if a wave comes through, you catch it.
The big problem I have with kiters is their feeling of entitlement when they go to every windsurf spot. A lot of them, not all, couldn't care less if they swivel turn onto a windsurfers wave. They take up rigging areas without a care, leave their lines in the middle of walkways (and this isn't even mentioning the beginners, who I dont think people should get angry with in any sport)
If you don't conform in your society, you become a social pariah. If you step out of line surfing you get you a$$ kicked. Kiters get away with everything, that's why they keep doing it. Who's the guest?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not sound like a good environment where you sail. On Long Island I'm happy to say that there is very little rude behavior between the sports.

Don't mess with parking spots, though! Smile

rlemmens wrote:
From a social standpoint. If a person is immigrating into the a country, they should adopt that countries social expectations, laws, language etc. they're a guest in that country. Likewise, if you go surfing in Hawaii, you don't just donkey your way to the peak. You wait below the people who are always there, and if a wave comes through, you catch it.
The big problem I have with kiters is their feeling of entitlement when they go to every windsurf spot. A lot of them, not all, couldn't care less if they swivel turn onto a windsurfers wave. They take up rigging areas without a care, leave their lines in the middle of walkways (and this isn't even mentioning the beginners, who I dont think people should get angry with in any sport)
If you don't conform in your society, you become a social pariah. If you step out of line surfing you get you a$$ kicked. Kiters get away with everything, that's why they keep doing it. Who's the guest?

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think windsurfers and kiters get along fine.

At least I don't see any more conflict between windsurfers and kiters than I see between kiters and kiters.

rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
It does not sound like a good environment where you sail. On Long Island I'm happy to say that there is very little rude behavior between the sports.

Don't mess with parking spots, though! Smile

The sailing here is great, and I'm not saying all kiters create problems. I'm just pointing out my logic behind kiting. I haven't gotten into a fight, nor would I, but just wanted to point out what happens in other sports. But for the most part there are very few problem.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just doing a regional poll- here in Hatteras, all is fine. We're lucky to have a HUGE expanse of sand to work with, though... so there's plenty of space to spread out...

Overall, in my experience, our groups of sportsmen are very civil, no matter where we are. Of course, respect begets respect.

Oddly enough, I came across this farce of the surfing community earlier- Ben Stiller, hamming it up!

(PG-13, language and violence)

http://vimeo.com/36747591

http://wind-nc.com
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlemmens wrote:
They take up rigging areas without a care, leave their lines in the middle of walkways

I carefully step over kite lines dozens of times a day; doesn't bother me in the least. People tend to get a bit huffy, though, when people walk across their sails lying on the rocks (because they left them across the only path out of the river).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: