myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Separation of church and state
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well aware of how we got to Afgananistan, thank you . If you have ever read my post you would see that I have never attacked obama on his handling of the Iraq, Afghanistan wars. I think he has done a decent job with what he has had to deal with.

Mac you left this part out , do I say obama has done a decent job with what he has had to deal with. I gave him credit for walking into a mess.

true or false
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...control of house and senate for first two years...

mat-ty, making false statements like the one above shows your lack of understanding about what actually happened. While Democrats had a majority in the Senate for 2 years, they only had the filibuster proof votes for only about 2 months, as a result of Senator Kennedy's health issues. You need to keep your facts straight, otherwise you come off sounding like isobars.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is none so blind as he who dons the blinders of bigotry. So matty, what is your inside wisdom about Iran? What is your math that doesn't involve recovery of the economy, cuts in the military and entitlements--and more revenue to deal with the debt? What politician of a Republican stripe (like skunks) other than Ryan has spoken truth to that issue? What Republican was willing to support the recommendations of the bi-partisan panel? And have you actually looked at the math on the impacts of the Bush tax cuts?

I needn't repeat what Chandler said about getting to 60 votes. But I must rub it in to all of you Obama haters, particularly those who say that Obama can't lead, and point out that despite not having 60 votes Obama accomplished something that has eluded Presidents since LBJ. To steal the line of my financial guy, Obama is like the road runner, and your Republican candidates are a bunch of coyotes that keep smacking into cliffs.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he accomplished caused the biggest political turn around in us history. You must have taken your little obama doll for a ride that night in November 2010. And when the coyotes take back the white house this fall, you can blame your girl friend obama for his lack of leadership. Presidents lead , and bring people together. obama is the most divisive president this country has ever seen. But I suppose it is hard to see that when you have a serious man crush on someone.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty--I am secure on my sexual orientation. I'm not so sure about you.

Is there an argument with any intellectual content anywhere in what you have written? As I said before, it is no wonder that Obama makes you feel so inadequate--you are.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
What he accomplished caused the biggest political turn around in us history. You must have taken your little obama doll for a ride that night in November 2010. And when the coyotes take back the white house this fall, you can blame your girl friend obama for his lack of leadership. Presidents lead , and bring people together. obama is the most divisive president this country has ever seen. But I suppose it is hard to see that when you have a serious man crush on someone.

Matt, remember it takes two to tango. A leader who is said to be divisive may be only a reflection of the object of divisiveness. For example, there are many, many racists and bigots who charged Obama with all sorts of foolishness because of his race, his ethnicity and his name. People called him a Muslim, called him a foreigner, and tossed racial epithets his way. That stupidity, and the stupid people who hooked onto any of those examples, are responsible for creating division, not the guy they are attacking.

The GOP has swung so far to the right that the country may indeed have a "new normal." Candidates running for the GOP nomination contributed to the above foolishness and to the division that you blame on the President. Indeed, one member of your GOP is not running for reelection exactly because of the way her own party decided to legislate. The GOP refused to follow its own rules, refused to abide by the legislative priorities it promised to the electorate in exchange for votes and -as a policy- refuses to compromise on much of anything. It's not me just saying this, it's retiring Senior Republican Senator Olympia Snowe:

http://info.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/29/10541107-transcript-andrea-mitchells-exclusive-interview-with-sen-olympia-snowe

[TRANSCRIPT]

ANDREA MITCHELL, MSNBC HOST: And again, that shock that was sent through Capitol Hill when Chris broke the story last night. The three-term Maine senator Olympia Snowe surprising her own party leaders, announcing she is not going to run for re-election. A departure that takes one more lawmaker willing to reach across the aisle out of the political equation and also immediately, as you said, led the smart money to predict that Democrats have a good shot at holding on to the Senate.

Senator Snowe now joins us -- now, for her first interview. Senator, first of all, why have you decided not to seek re-election for a fourth term?

OLYMPIA SNOWE (R), MAINE: Well, Andrea, it was a very difficult decision, to say the least. But I decided during the recess -- you know, having a milestone birthday helps you to focus and to be clarifying, about whether or not I was prepared to commit to another six years in the United States Senate. And particularly in the context of the times that we are in in the Senate, where it's very, very difficult to resolve major issues that are so important to the future of this country and how best could I serve, and to make voice heard.

And I made the decision not to run for re-election of the Senate and to pursue other opportunities outside the Senate that perhaps I can give voice to the frustrations that you know, exist with the political system here in Washington, where it's dysfunctional. And the political paralysis has overtaken the environment to the detriment to the good of the country.

MITCHELL: Do you think that both parties, including your own, contribute to this dysfunction?

SNOWE: Oh, absolutely. Everyone has to stand back and understand what is the essence of public service? It's all about solving problems. What are our obligations to the country and to the people we represent? It's the coming up with effective solutions, sitting down and working with the issues. Sitting around table and sorting through the differences.

You can never solve a problem without talking to people with whom you disagree. The United States Senate is predicated and based on consensus building. That was certainly the vision of the founding fathers. And if we abandon that approach, then we do it at the expense of the country and the issues that we need to address to put us back on track.

MITCHELL: You have been a critical vote, reaching across the aisle, for stimulus and for these -- keeping health care alive, not final passage, but keeping health care alive, getting it to the floor. You said, at the time, I think "Is this the bill, all that I would want? Far from it. Is it all that it can be? No. But when history calls, history calls."

Then by December 2009, you ended up opposing the bill as did every other Republican, believing that Harry reid was rushing you all. And Reid then, I think, angered you by telling "The New York Times" that it was a waste of time dealing with you. What did you learn from those experiences, those critical showdowns with your own party and the opposition?

SNOWE: Well, you know, it's become an all-or-nothing proposition, and in the instance of the health care bill that became law, the problem is, you know, much of that was actually crafted behind closed doors. We never had the opportunity to have an open amendment process as I was actually promised so that we could truly have bipartisanship and develop a more practical, more pragmatic approach to the issue of health care. But that was all, you know, jettisoned until we got the amendments in the final hours before Christmas for up-or-down votes.

And that’s not what the Senate is all about. The Senate is trying to bring people together to the extent possible to reasonably resolve issues that are so important to the American people. I always recall my first years in the Senate. And it happened that Bob Dole was the Senate majority leader. And I can always hear his words, they ring in my ear. Even though there were differences, and we had some key issues, he would say – he would put a group together. It would either be Republicans or Republicans and Democrats, whatever the case may be. He said go in my office at 8:30 in the morning and work it out. He would always say, work it out.

And that’s the point. We are not working out issues anymore. We are working on a parallel universe, with competing proposals, up or down votes. And you know, as the "National Journal" said recently, we’re coming close to a parliamentary system. Well, that’s not how the Senate was designed. That’s not how our founding fathers envisioned the United States Senate and the overall Congress.

MITCHELL: What do you think of Senator Roy Blunt's proposal on contraception, some of the gender wars that have been fought out on the Senate floor?

SNOWE: Well, it's interesting we are having the who debate on contraception and you know, what should constitute coverage and what kind role does the federal government play because I know I was involved in the issue more than a decade ago. And I did support a conscience clause, and I was drafting one in the process. We never got to consider the legislation. So, I do think it's important.

I think with respect to the Blunt amendment, I think it’s much broader than I could support. I think we should focus on the issue of contraceptives and whether or not it should be included in a health insurance plan, and what requirements there should be. And I’ve supported the Marco Rubio approach in that regard.

I do think there should be a valid conscience clause, and I didn’t agree with what President Obama had done with respect to that mandatory requirement.

MITCHELL: In this Republican contest, in light of your comments about the way things are played out in the Senate, what do you think of some of the rhetoric that we have heard, the snob comments by Senator Senatorum, some of the rhetoric that comes from Mitt Romney -- from all sides? Both political parties. Is there a Republican that you are now prepared to endorse whom you would like to see be president of the United States?

SNOWE: Well, I'm not going to make endorsement right here. But let me say that. I think ultimately, whether it's within our party, or across the aisle, ultimately, here in this Senate, we have to work together. Within our party, hopefully we can move forward in a united fashion. We are stronger united than we are divided. That is for sure.

And that, frankly, for our party, it's understanding that you have to have tolerance for all philosophical views. You know, it was the big tent. That is something that even President Reagan, you know, adopted and incorporated on the letters -- let us focus on the issues where we agree, on 80 percent of the issues as opposed to focusing on those areas which could represent 20 percent where we disagree. And I think that that is true. And I think that is going to be important for us in supporting a presidential candidate if we want to win the election.

MITCHELL: Senator, we have known each other a long type, and I have watched your career a long time. In making this decision, your personal history must come into play. You were orphaned at age nine, you were widowed at age 26. Your husband, Governor McKiernan’s son, died at age 20. You have suffered incredible losses.

In passing what you think is a milestone birthday, how do you assess the next career, the next decade for Olympia Snowe or decades for Olympia Snowe in light of all the struggles that you have endured in life?

SNOW: Well, you know, I’ve been gratified in light of the struggles and hardships that I have experienced, I’ve have had the opportunity to serve my constituents, with an understanding and an empathy. We don't have to share, you know, the same set backs to understand the depths of pain that one can experience. So, I brought that to bear in my profession, hopefully, and that the people of Maine have felt that.

Secondly, in looking forward, I'm going to be, you know, this is a new chapter in my life. I decided that if I was going to do something different, it had to be at this moment in time. So, I'm going to be giving my voice to what should change here in the United States Senate, and in Congress, to get things done for the American people.

I have traveled the country, Andrea in recent months. I’ve talked to thousands of people and given many speeches. And I have to tell you that, including my state of Maine, people are deeply frustrated. Yes, they are facing personal financial pains and hardships. But more, about the fact that we are not getting things done here in Congress so that they can look to the political leaders and institutions to solve the problems that they are facing in their daily lives at this unprecedented moment in American history.

So, I hope I can give voice to that in a different way, outside of the United States Senate, chamber.

MITCHELL: Senator, I know had you your differences with the White House from time to time, you know what the president did say. Issuing a statement last night saying that your career shows what can be accomplished, "how much can be accomplished when leaders from both sides of the aisle reach across the aisle from both parties, reach across the aisle and try to do the right thing for the America people."

And we just want to -- let me personally say I want thank you for your service, which continues of course as you complete your term.

SNOWE: Thank you. Thank you, Andrea. And I sure appreciate it.

MITCHELL: I wish you all the luck in the world as you tackle your next adventures. Thanks to you, Senator Snowe.

END

Be assured that the sky isn't falling -even in Reading.

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
obama is the most divisive president this country has ever seen.

Bush/Cheney take that prize, particularly Cheney. Bush was little more than amusing window dressing for the man behind the curtain.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call Dan
Play the victim card, right after the race card.
Liberal teaching 101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonimU0wswc

Here is obama calling himself a muslim.

Olympia Snow, well know RINO
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty, I dont know how old you are but I'm guessing the same range as the Boggsman. It is sad that a well spoken, moderate, good senator from a moderate state, is bailing because she feels that Congress is not workable. People like Olympia Snow used to be plentiful in Washington, now they are almost extinct. It's too bad she is retiring, but at the same time its good for the Dems. When history is written, the Tea Party takeover of Congress in 2010 will be one of the worst things that ever happened to the Republican party, right up there with Watergate.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obama talking about raising debt ceiling in 08. Thats when it was 9 trillion. not 16. If 9 was unpatriotic, what the hell do you call 16

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/30/as-debt-ceiling-skyrockets-obama-no-longer-calling-bush-increases-unpatriotic/

be nice to me today, I am in serious mourning.

Davey Jones and Andrew Breithart gone in 24 hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: