myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Fickster (Isobars in action) vid!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt wrote

Quote:
You say Coboard that you used a very small board and rig combo. while there, in wild conditions. Is it that the Gorge really does have that magical RELIABILTY (once out away from the shore zone) to keep people blasting, and able to concentrate on 'going for it' that we all pine for? If so, sounds as though it really deserves its reputation as Eldorado! (Life's so unfair to us exposed open sea sailors! )

I am not a Gorge local, but my wife and I make a two week trip to the Gorge every year for 25 years. Every couple years I get a day where I can literally sail a 3.6 and 70 l glass board all day long. Often those days have a little 3.2 thrown in if I can talk my wife off her rig.

More often, for me, I am on a 4.6. But, I will sail anything , up to a 6.8 or even kite to get my fix.

No one place is "Eldorado" all the time. Thing is...Eldorado can show up anywhere when you are on the water Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I suggest you go by his own description of
what he wears while sailing. It's reasonably accurate, and fairly unique

Helmet, face guard, and rib armor unique ... in the Gorge?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesHardy wrote:
snap a picture and post it so the rest of us can avoid him if we see him.

Yes ..., PUHLEEZE ... if I'm anywhere near ANY swell, stay as far away from me as possible.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
The Gorge sounds to be a very special place indeed!

Is it that the Gorge really does have that magical RELIABILTY (once out away from the shore zone) to keep people blasting, and able to concentrate on 'going for it' that we all pine for? If so, sounds as though it really deserves its reputation as Eldorado!

The El Dorado of winspeed is the Gorge in winter, although air and water temps are about 40F or less and swell is not as good because the wind blows the same direction as the river current. But check out this stretch of 30-60 mph winds, 24 hours a day, that is just now easing, down to an average of 30 mph, after a full week of averaging near 40 mph and above. (Rooster Rock)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say "fairly". ;*) You see a guy out there with all 3 of those
devices on, and a butt bucket, I figure there's a 1 in 10 chance it's you.
I'll bet on those odds. Maybe it's different out at Rosey, I only get out
there a couple of times a year, and usually not when it's howl'n.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
I suggest you go by his own description of
what he wears while sailing. It's reasonably accurate, and fairly unique

Helmet, face guard, and rib armor unique ... in the Gorge?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,

It is magical, and for more than just the wind, I've never been any place
where you get 5ft swells in 6M winds. It is not 3.2 every day, my 3.2
and my 6.8 are still in excellent shape, but my 5.5, 4.7, 4,2 and 3.7,
wear pretty fast. I've replaced the 5.5. 4.7, and 4.2 in the last 2 years,
and they're wearing again. At 180 lbs, I spend most of my ~65 days
on the 4.7 and the 4.2 some years, and on the 4.2 and 3.7 other years,
and the period is seasonal like that. My go to board is 80 ltrs, but I do
get out on the 70 ltr board quite a bit. It can be gusty, but it can be blow
dryer steady also. Being the romantic that you are, I suspect you'd be
heavily affected by the raw beauty of the place.

If you ever get to the states, you should join us. I can set you up with
all the equipment you might need. It's a lot safer place to get your
adrenaline jollies than the North Sea.

I have spent a few days sailing your Poole Bay. My experience there
was one of concern for anchored (and unanchored) boats, but the
sailing was slalom pleasantness.

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
The Gorge sounds to be a very special place indeed!

You say Coboard that you used a very small board and rig combo. while there, in wild conditions. Is it that the Gorge really does have that magical RELIABILTY (once out away from the shore zone) to keep people blasting, and able to concentrate on 'going for it' that we all pine for? If so, sounds as though it really deserves its reputation as Eldorado! (Life's so unfair to us exposed open sea sailors! Laughing Laughing )

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks gents but it's a bit late now, and there HAVE been compensations sailing in 'my' beloved N.Sea! (Ashes to be scattered there, eventually.)

Hope health problems don't prevent you from enjoying your future windsurfing SWChandler. Modern drugs and enlightened consultants seem able to work minor miracles.

One good thing about having surfed/windsurfed for very many years is the store of experience and memories. Taking it easier is then not the big deal it would have been, had we had difficulties when young, and raring to challenge, in our prime. I'm sure you don't need to prove yourself any longer, and can just continue to windsurf in a satisfying way.

I both agree, and disagree with your friend from the great N.W. (Mr Iso, in case your in doubt! Wink ) I can't believe it possible that after 30 years of intense high wind windsurfing, any of us of advancing years could progress further in HIGH WIND HEAVY WATER conditions. The strength and drive may be there BUT, flexibility, (think twisting, jerking, and bending about in surf), joint, and tendon resilience will NOT be.

I agree with him though that it's quite possible to burst out into some new sport that's dependant mainly on just strength and endurance. (M.T.B. and road cycling for me, both of which I'm still improving at... especially blitzing steep hill climb personal bests, and developing ENORMOUS Laughing Laughing thigh muscles as a result.)

In all, I wonder if it's really healthy (psychologically) to remain fanatical about a single long term sport, too far into old age. Decline is inevitable, I'm afraid.

I expect you'll want to use that Serenity soon Mr Chandler, but from what few reports have filtered through, the new funny looking Exocet is KILLER in sub planing light winds. Can't wait to hear how it really performs on the plane!!! Question
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen your post Mr Goudie. Thanks indeed. I might just make it this Summer!!! Laughing Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say G.T., you're so right. And on top of that, you have an outstanding attitude about life.

As far as my health, things are pretty good, but I have osteoarthritis in two joints of my left foot (at the big toe and at the top of the middle foot), so the footstraps aggravate the hell out of the condition. It been quickly getting worse and it's very discomforting, so I'm faced with undergoing surgery in the future. From what I understand, the surgery will ultimately give me a good result, but it's likely that I would be out of commission for at least a couple of months. I'm working on some important projects right now, so I'm inclined to finish them up before going under the knife.

Regarding sailing in the Gorge, it's just like most other places, with its stellar days and its fluky weirdo days too. However, during the high season its arguably one of the most consistent higher wind sailing spots in the continental US. The beauty of the place is that it extends over a substantial area, so when it's bad in one area, it can be outstanding further up or down the river. If you're willing to drive for the conditions, you can score incredible conditions depending on your preferences. The Gorge is a true playground, and if you go, you'll quickly learn that windsurfing is still very much alive. Driving across the Hood River bridge on a good day and looking west down the Corridor, the number of sailors on the water is phenomenal, to say the least. The only thing the Gorge really doesn't have is waves, but a trip down the Oregon Coast can fix that in short order.

Finally, you make a excellent point about high wind conditions and the trials of getting older. While I'm hopeful that I won't hanging my planing quiver any time soon, I do have the Serenity to keep me on the water over the long haul. Quite honestly though, I've only used it once so far, and I found that it's a bit of a beast to tack or jibe. I'll definitely need to spend some time on the learning curve, and in doing so, I'll certainly be humbled.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I've never been any place
where you get 5ft swells in 6M winds

Please PM me that location. I've never seen it this side of the coast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: