myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Changing from Mitt to Newt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the total amount of food stamp subsidies, and divided it by the number of families. It came to about $1000.

Does Newt remember how the banks--fueled by delusions of real estate loans--drove the economy into the ditch? With food stamps they can eat--a little.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac

I really doubt that Newt would actually let people starve. He is, however, willing to lie a bit to defeat Obama.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the current Republican candidates will lie not only about President Obama, but also about their fellow candidates. As I understand though, the only possible exception might be the lack of any real strife between Romney and Paul.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romney may be concerned that Paul will run as an independent.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are a number of points about this that are important. First is to recognize that the language "food stamp" president is demeaning, and is intended to invoke, indirectly, the images of welfare mothers having babies to increase their benefits that the Republicans have traded on since the 1960's. Second, it is essential to realize that the collapse of the economy, in particular transfer of manufacturing jobs overseas and the decimation of the construction industry in the aftermath of the housing collapse, would be expected to increase the number of people unemployed, and thus food stamp recipients. As noted by CB, this occurred during Bush's watch, with ripples that extended through Obama's first three years and are only now diminishing. Finally, for those who rant about entitlements, keep in mind that food stamp benefits are relatively minor, both in supporting people and in the Federal budget. According to surveys: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=1&ind=26, the average food benefit per person is $133 and change. The total cost of food stamps for 2010, in the worst recession we've seen in a generation, was $65 billion. With the total budget about $3 trillion, it becomes clear that this is in the spare change category.

I do think that the Federal government spends too much, and we need to reform our spending. Before we do that, I think we need to have an adult discussion about what we spend, and why, and what our priorities as a society should be. I have heard nothing adult from any of the Republican candidates, and the food stamp comment is the worst sort of demagoguery. If you actually want to learn about the budget, you can start here: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/15/digging-into-the-u-s-budget-what-we-spend-and-how/, and perhaps follow that up by googling the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, or actually looking up the data, which is quite easy to find on line. It shows that the Federal bureaucracy, under both Bush and Obama, has been willing to be quite transparent in budget matters.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
[Newt] is willing to lie a bit to defeat Obama.

So would Billy Graham or the Pope, I would hope. If God told me in writing that my life's savings and ONLY my life's savings would overturn Obama this fall, I hope to hell I would have the altruism and guts to donate them. I firmly believe we've seen only the tip of this radical Marxist's self-professed revolutionary iceberg.

A campaign promise to "FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORM this country ... " from the mouth of a radical who praises his radical communist father and repeatedly, in deed and speeches and books, praises and consorts with open Marxists should scare the hell out of any rational person who believes in the value system on which our Republic was founded. This blubbering unearned welfare state $#!+ WILL stop, by either election or mathematics.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact free delusion from Iso. Get the nets, or at least the lithium.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick is a defender and apologist for misogynists, racists and liars. It's very sad and disturbing.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least this time he didnt claim to have proven his delusion long ago.
I guess I scared him by asking for him to repost that imaginary proof.
The far right seems easily frightened these days.
The most telling critics I hear from about Palin are GOP leaders who have said she is an embarrassment to the Party.
Maybe we are all on the same side here about folks like Iso and Palin.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Romney may be concerned that Paul will run as an independent.

At least half of the nation fears that. It would hand the election to Obama ... unless Obama's numbers continue to plummet as fast as even Democrat polls show them to be. If that slide continues, Sarah Palin could win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: