myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NJ Island Beach State Park Marina Launch Access Issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurf23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: NJ Island Beach State Park Marina Launch Access Issue Reply with quote

Island Beach State Marina / Yaks Kayaks / South Seaside Park Launchsite in jeopardy
The New Jersey Windsurfing and Watersports Association is a US Windsurfing member club formed in 2009 to promote the growth of recreational and competitive windsurfing, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking, and Kiteboarding in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. We are a 501(c)(7) Recreational Club non-profit organization, representing over 160 watersports enthusiasts from the New Jersey area.
Part of the NJWWA mission is to “Protect our water access rights”, and “Provide a forum associated with the website for discussions of current and future issues”. We are currently faced with an access issue at The Flats, near South Seaside Park, NJ.
In recent years, the old Island Beach State Marina has become a popular windsurfing launch into The Flats of Barnegat Bay.
The current watersports concessionaire has complained to both the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Concession Department, and Island Beach State Park, that windsurfers and kiteboarders are posing a safety hazard to customers, and we are destroying vegetation along the water’s edge.
They are planning to cut off public access to the bay from the marina. The parking lot & marina are owned by Island Beach State Park. This would severely impact the ability to windsurf and paddle at this location.
The DEP has also asked us to remove any promotion of this area on our website.
The New Jersey Windsurfing & Watersports Association, under the guidance of US Windsurfing, will voice our members concerns. This effort may be backed up with either a petition letter and/or form letter which people can sign then forward on, TBD. This matter would not only affect our fellow sailors at South Seaside Park, but it may set a precedent resulting in similar exclusive concessions being awarded at other State & County parks up and down the east coast.
I encourage all concerned watersports enthusiasts in the region to share your thoughts and assist by contacting us at info@windsurfnj.org , or by replying to this email.
We would especially like to hear from local contacts.
Please forward this email to fellow NJ area watersports enthusiasts, and encourage them to write to us and get onto our email database.
We hope to work with, and find common ground with, the concessionaire and the DEP to find a workable solution/compromise.
Collectively, we may be able to prevent the closing of this launch. Stay tuned for more news coming soon.

We have utilized our new Forums Page on the windsurfnj.org website. Please register and voice your concerns.
http://www.windsurfnj.org/forum/forum.htm

The NJWWA has formed the IBSP/The Flats Access Committee
The purpose of this committee is to gather information and come up with a plan on how the NJWWA Board of Directors will handle the situation at the Island Beach State Park, Yakkity Yaks Kayaks, marina launchsite.
Included in this committee are NJWWA Board Members who have gained extensive knowledge in dealing with the NJDEP and local authorities during the past Bayview Park access issue.
We are also including additional NJWWA members who have exhibited a passionate interest on the issue.
We will begin official contact with the NJDEP & IBSP this weekend.
http://www.windsurfnj.org/forum/forum.htm
[url][/url]

Last edited by windsurf23 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ease of your audience, link please.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. It was a godsent when they reopened the parking lot to windsurfers & kiters a couple of years ago, and it will be terrible if it's closed.

Since it's a public park, I've always wondered what the deal was with that kayak concession. If if someone had the time, money & connections, that would be a great place to run a little windsurfing/kiting business. There are lots of car-less, equipment-less windsurfers in NYC, and it's a relatively easy ride down there on public transportation (express bus to Tom's river).

In any event, the little bay south of the area is a really great place to try flatwater stuff, and there's can sometimes be a nice rolling swell in the middle.

As to the concerns that have been raised, I understand the point about walking on the marshland, but I can't imagine that does any actual damage, especially in relation to the much larger environmental problems faced by the bay.

As to the kiters, not to throw bombs, but it's hard to dispute that kite lines can be very dangerous. I know of no specific instances, but with too many people in proximity--and the kayakers on different flight paths--I can see how accidents could happen. Of course, the idiot jetskiers who blast through the middle of everyone at 50 knots are way more dangerous.

However, I will say that since the kiters probably have a stronger voice here (there are more of them, and their sport is not dying the way ours is), it should be a coordinated response. People probably need to think creatively about whether the area can be divided so all can enjoy. Yes, it would suck to have to stay in the lanes, but better than losing the spot altogether.
windsurf23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Island Beach State Park supervisor has initially responded to the NJWWA, and
appreciates our interest and willingness to work with them to address the future
of the marina site and to promote an access plan that will be acceptable to all
interested parties.

In the next few weeks the SPS will be meeting internally and with the
concessionaire to discuss their short term and long term plans for the site.
"It is our intent to develop both long term and short term plans for the site
that will provide for public access balanced for all interested user groups that
is responsible, safe, reasonable and secure." "The current state of the site,
especially during the off-season allows for "defacto" access through the removed
section of fence on the southwest corner of the property. That situation is
something that we desire to improve."

They are interested in scheduling a stakeholder meeting to have dialogue with
all interested user groups about the future plans. We will keep you updated as
things progress.

Tom
chipny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: kiters and windsurfers together having fun Reply with quote

hi, not to start up a crazy thread here but it is possible for the two variations of windsports to co exist.
At Plumb Beach in brooklyn, NY, the original kiters in that area were former windsurfers. we always get along fine on and off the water. The newer kiters seem to follow suit with the older kiters.
The kiters all seem to gather and launch from one end of the beach.
They do their near shore activities in that same area and the windsurfers stay at the other end.
That keeps us out of their lines and their lines out of our sails.
Out off the beach past the windline, the kiters stay upwind better than us.
we all - for the most part - pay attention to each other , as good sailors and water people should. As far as i know there have been no crashes yet. In the winter or on stormy days often there are only a few kites and sails on the water. we are happy for the company and safety.
I am sure the kiters on the jersey shore would work just as well and like you mentioned - the more numbers we get, the better the result will be in our favor.
chipny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: ps beach sports and sharing Reply with quote

we also have kayaks and fishermen sharing the beach - all at the same time, as well as the sun bathing and swimming public.
it all seems to work out.
no majors incidents to report.
the jersey windsurf launches are amazing spots and we dont want to lose them.
please let us know what and when we need to send in email, letters and phone calls.
hope to see you all on the beach this year.
windsurf23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a date of early March to meet with the IBSP superintendant.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle & cousin live in Toms River, and I've seen this sailing spot while visiting. It looks great, and I hope you guys can successfully lobby to keep your access. Is it true that there is no access to the ocean side of the barrier island during the summer or some such non-sense?
B737

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Update IBSP July 2014 Reply with quote

Things are deteriorating at IBSP Seaside Park 24th ave launch.

there is now posted signage that NO ONE is permitted past about 10 feet from the water entrance above the high water mark.

this has essentially banned kiting from the area. As sailors, if we do not self police this among ourselves and visitors, we will be next if they close the entire entrance (which they can).

the "no traffic on the land above the high water mark" has always been a 'rule', esp since the IBSP meeting about 2 years ago. it was poorly enforced, and it was not posted anywhere. The kiters needed that area to launch. soon it evolved into people setting up mini camps, beach chairs and all sorts of other things going on in the protected area.

if you see someone in this area while sailing here, PLEASE politely tell them to get off this protected area.

we can still put our gear in the parking lot and even up to the weed line out past the sign but not further up.

I hope some sort of agreement can be worked out with the park so that ALL of us can continue to enjoy this GIFT of a location.

As sailors we arent effected as badly as the kiters, but we are in it together. If push comes to shove, a phone call to your politicians and meeting them face to face may go a long way. if this gets any worse, i will do this as well.

for now im just going to do my part in making sure im a good neighbor to the park.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Update IBSP July 2014 Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
Things are deteriorating at IBSP Seaside Park 24th ave launch.

there is now posted signage that NO ONE is permitted past about 10 feet from the water entrance above the high water mark.

this has essentially banned kiting from the area. As sailors, if we do not self police this among ourselves and visitors, we will be next if they close the entire entrance (which they can).

the "no traffic on the land above the high water mark" has always been a 'rule', esp since the IBSP meeting about 2 years ago. it was poorly enforced, and it was not posted anywhere. The kiters needed that area to launch. soon it evolved into people setting up mini camps, beach chairs and all sorts of other things going on in the protected area.

if you see someone in this area while sailing here, PLEASE politely tell them to get off this protected area.

we can still put our gear in the parking lot and even up to the weed line out past the sign but not further up.

I hope some sort of agreement can be worked out with the park so that ALL of us can continue to enjoy this GIFT of a location.

As sailors we arent effected as badly as the kiters, but we are in it together. If push comes to shove, a phone call to your politicians and meeting them face to face may go a long way. if this gets any worse, i will do this as well.

for now im just going to do my part in making sure im a good neighbor to the park.

Original post in Yahoo NJ windsurfing forum

"The Island Beach State Park has restricted public from acess into the wildlife area anywhere south of a posted sign at the bay entrance from the 24th Street, Seaside Park, parking lot in New Jersey. Kite Boarders will not be able to launch from the point because of this posted action by the Park Commissioner on 7/28/14. On the previous day a Park Ranger asked a several people to vacate the point and the sign was posted the next day."

This was a fabulous shallow water launch. Great for beginners and advanced alike. This action was prompted from a complaint by a local neighbor who did not like so many placing their rigs in the parking lot. She also complained about people hanging out smoking.

I also admire how the post in the NJ windsurfing forum pointed out kiters as the people who are effected. Windsurfers get a pass.

Coming from a windsurfing background, I appreciate the sport, I've spent considerable time in the Gorge, time in Maui, and have windsurfed the ocean. I will sail the days that are nuking, just not at Seaside because it is too flat. Seaside was a great place for twin-tips and working tricks.

I come back from a week in OBX, just to search for another launch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: