myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
flakas / vulcan.. they are so darn hard...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfalex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: flakas / vulcan.. they are so darn hard... Reply with quote

Started last year to try to learn flakas and vulcans.. did not get very far. Feels like a completely new ballgame.. awkward. like throwing yourself blindfolded backwards off a cliff. I know in my head every single step, just can't perform. Staying in the footstraps and getting the rotation going feels impossible.
Any advise ? Anything you can practice on land ? ( while lakes are frozen )
I am not a beginner, I can do many freestyle moves, just the world of tail sliding feels so far away...

Last edited by surfalex on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small fin and a freestyle board helps a ton. Also, remember for the vulcan to bend your front elbow before you jump, it'll point the nose down, and help your rotation. Smooth water and being fully/slightly underpowered helps as well. Also you're not really throwing yourself backwards, you're keeping your weight toward the nose of the board and kicking your back foot around. Good luck, watch those ankles.....
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe start sailing in an enviornment where the moves are pretty much practiced by a few sailors, so you can learn by example.
Assuming your using short wide freestyle gear with spinout sized fins, it should be relatively easy to complete the hop 180 into a tail slide leaning onto the rig.
If it was easy, it would be kiteboarding.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay at it. The ABK guys say it takes between 700 and 1000 attempts to hit your first vulcan, but that once you start making them progress accellerates.

zirtaeb wrote:

Assuming your using short wide freestyle gear with spinout sized fins, it should be relatively easy to complete the hop 180 into a tail slide leaning onto the rig.

LeeD, why do you chime in on subjects you know nothing about?

LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw shucks, I know nothing abut vulcans.... Very Happy Very Happy
Let's see.... I was jump jibing, duck tacking, and heli in 1984, not perfecting the 3 until '85. Some thought I was only a trickster.
Fast forward 27 years.....
Where I sail, in Berkeley, there are more than 8 guys who CAN vulcan, spock, and a few other tricks. I can claim Tyson and Wyatt, as well as RobWarwick, Sofien, and a few other's as "sailing partners" whenever we hit the rigging area the same time.
Now, can you?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, those are hard moves! Step one is to get yourself into an ABK Clinic- make sure it's one where Andy Brandt is offering advanced freestyle instruction. There are a number of other guys giving great clinics, too- Wyatt and Tyson, I'm sure there are some Gorge guys, maybe Derrick in Rio? I can help if you come to Hatteras.

Practicing on a skate board is fantastic- Short Deck, 5-10mph wind, 4.0 or smaller sail. It's really easy, for example, to get yourself rolling backwards, switch stance, while back winding the sail. The more you play around with all of the different scenarios on land, the easier it is to deal with them as you progress on the water, where things happen much quicker and more powered up. You'll already have some muscle memory, and the "vision" of what's going on.

And yes, expect to fall, A Lot!! You're going to have an excellent waterstart by the time you figure out vulcans Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Aw shucks, I know nothing abut vulcans.... Very Happy Very Happy
Let's see.... I was jump jibing, duck tacking, and heli in 1984, not perfecting the 3 until '85. Some thought I was only a trickster.
Fast forward 27 years.....
Where I sail, in Berkeley, there are more than 8 guys who CAN vulcan, spock, and a few other tricks. I can claim Tyson and Wyatt, as well as RobWarwick, Sofien, and a few other's as "sailing partners" whenever we hit the rigging area the same time.
Now, can you?

Your point, other than pointing to yourself?

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Aw shucks, I know nothing abut vulcans...

Clearly

LeeD wrote:
I was jump jibing, duck tacking, and heli in 1984, not perfecting the 3 until '85.

And if you knew how to throw vulcans you'd know that jump jibing, duck tacking and helis have no bearing on it whatsoever.

LeeD wrote:
I can claim Tyson and Wyatt, as well as RobWarwick, Sofien, and a few other's as "sailing partners" whenever we hit the rigging area the same time.
Now, can you?

I can claim over 100 vulcan attempts, and attending half a dozen lectures and on the water clinics on vulcans taught by experts. AND I've sailed alongside Tyson, Wyatt, and for that matter Kiri, Taty and Tonky, yet I'm not stoned enough to think that rubbing shoulders with them means I know something about the moves they throw.

feuser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
LeeD wrote:

Clearly

LeeD wrote:
I was jump jibing, duck tacking, and heli in 1984, not perfecting the 3 until '85.

And if you knew how to throw vulcans you'd know that jump jibing, duck tacking and helis have no bearing on it whatsoever.

LeeD wrote:
I can claim Tyson and Wyatt, as well as RobWarwick, Sofien, and a few other's as "sailing partners" whenever we hit the rigging area the same time.
Now, can you?

I can claim over 100 vulcan attempts, and attending half a dozen lectures and on the water clinics on vulcans taught by experts. AND I've sailed alongside Tyson, Wyatt, and for that matter Kiri, Taty and Tonky, yet I'm not stoned enough to think that rubbing shoulders with them means I know something about the moves they throw.

But you sail with people like myself, so it's no wonder you suck at vulcans.

Very Happy

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
LeeD wrote:

Clearly

LeeD wrote:

LeeD wrote:
Now, can you?

Peconic, give it a rest.

I can do vulcans in my sleep. It's on the water I have difficulty Smile Seriously, it's pretty easy to spot what someone is doing wrong if you have a good eye for it. I watched my son crash from 8 AM to 6 PM for a week in 2003 in Bonaire and finally got his first vulcan on film (I don't have his first steps, I have his first vulcan!)

You need to come out to Cali and experience the vibe here to understand where LeeD is coming from. We all sail together, monitor each others progress, comment and give advice, share the beer when someone gets their first move they've been working on. It's a very supportive environment, that has produced some really great sailors (mentioned earlier in this thread). Besides, was there anything wrong in LeeD's original post?

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: