myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Bucket List
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added another notch on the bucket list, my first February session last weekend in 50mph winds! Never made it out in February before. Now on to the next:

1) Reef run in Hatteras, (thanks for the great link Hodan.andy!)
2) Make the run from Ned's Point all the way across to Falmouth
3) Hit Hookipa (should probably learn wave sailing first)

DC Very Happy
btbill

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent Reef Run report back in early April this year in 40+ mph NNE winds!
http://obxbeachlife.blogspot.com/2012_04_10_archive.html

Definitely recommend heading out at the soundside access just north of avon, or perhaps launch from Island Creek/Ocean Air Sports. The Reef is about 3 miles out into the sound and you will see it as a line of whitewater on the horizon as you approach as well as some markers out there.

Best piece if advice is as noted do not go out alone, and be sure your gear is in tip top shape. Nothing worse than breaking a mast, boom, base, etc out there, or even a footstrap insert, especially when its firing in 4.0m and down conditions!

Definitely an experience for those who are looking for sound side "ocean-like" conditions. When we were out there during that sesh in early April, it kind of reminded me of a mini-Cove setup with lots of little whitewaters inside but as you got out though that section, side onshore waves formed that ranged about 4+ foot in size. Great conditions for big jumps, loops, and soundside wave riding wound on a 3.7m! Very Happy
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BTBILL!!! I'm leaving for Haterras on Saturday so great timing on the post!

DC
edoremus337

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bucketlist: Sail alongside all the bridges in RI before I graduate college (1 year left)
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropping in jaws with my 11'5 board. about 2 minutes early or so....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great advice. I hit the reef! Was a great experience. The wind was only about 18knts or so but it was a great time and phenomenal experience. Especially standinng in ankle high water 3.5 miles out from Land!!!

The hatteras trip was a blast and couldn't be better.

Special thanks to Andy and crew at Wind NC. They were great hosts and had a great party. I wish you guys the very best of luck. Anyone going to Hatteras should definitely check this first rate store out!

DC
Hurricaneman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some "bucket-list" suggestions/accomplished:

1. Sail the Gorge multiple spots, esp. Doug's Beach, Swell City, etc. and swim across the Columbia with your rig several times.

2. Sail Crissy Fields out and under the Golden Gate Bridge. And back.

3. Spend many weeks in the DR, Cabarete and Jamaica.

4. Spend a week in the Canary Islands (Tenerife).

5. Sail Baha, chill with Luke Perry and avoid jail.

Still on my list:

1. Maui
2. loop (yeah, right...)
3. Brazil (Jericoacoara)
4. Lago di Garda
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Gate Bridge! That's going on the list!!!!

Very Happy
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btbill wrote:

Definitely recommend heading out at the soundside access just north of avon, or perhaps launch from Island Creek/Ocean Air Sports.

I know the launch just north of Avon as "Transformers". Access via sand road. AWD recommended but when I sailed there five years and longer ago, the air could stay in the tires. At any rate, the asphalt in the pic was gone as far as I remember. I was told the launch is named after a substation that stood there wayback. Here's a few great images of Transformers and Island Creek relative to the Reef.
http://www.windvisions.com/Hatteras/transformers.html

Island Creek has some great soundsside rentals. On big days the white line of waves can be spotted from the upper levels of the house. Just to get amped (or scared) alright. Sometimes people poach parking at an empty rental, which is frowned upon however. And you'll get chased away if you park on the grass, which needs a good amount of maintenance year round.

I was back last fall on a business trip and rented some gear at Ocean Air Sports formerly known as Windsurfing Hatteras. Great for a quick hit and run session, but they lost easy access since the gear shack they had sitting on a strip of sand and that I figured would be there for some easy in-and-out, was gone.
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Golden Gate Bridge! That's going on the list!!!!

(Done).

Frankly, I figure this is for sailors only who have been out at Crissy a bunch of times and know what the tidal currents will do to them. It gets real spooky when the wind slows down on the outside, on an ebb and you're sitting in the channel (read: commercial deep drafts) hoping for a puff to get you waterstarted and back to the windline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: