myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lets ROCK Cabarete...with Wyatt Miller and Tyson Poor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Lets ROCK Cabarete...with Wyatt Miller and Tyson Poor Reply with quote

Yo Everybody,

Tyson Poor and I are heading to Cabarete the second half of March to do Clinics with Vela and basically engage in all the cool stuff that the DR has to offer.

We have the full hook up from Vela and will be doing windsurf clinics, SUP instruction, surfing, Partying etc.

Basically we have the guys who know Cabarete best to show us all around and we will have a great time and learn a ton.

Check out the photo below and the link to come.

We are going to do Cabarete right.

Check the posts to come and come join us in paradise.

Also please post here with any inside knowledge you have as this will be our first time.

Wyatt Miller

cabarete-1.v1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  724.12 KB
 Viewed:  16092 Time(s)

cabarete-1.v1.jpg

poussin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wyatt,

Cabarete is truly a great place, and it's really cool that you guys have decided to do this.
But wouldn't it be better in the summer? As far as I know, late March /april are not great months for wind and possibly also the rainy season.
Don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm or anyone else, but I think that's the case.

Kudos to you guys though, and I hope I'm wrong, but you might want to check into that.

Greg
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Greg,

Dude we are soooo stoked to go. We have the word from a few locals that the wind is good in the end of March. Spring Trades, plus we have the run of the Vela Vans and all the SUPs and Surfboards, plus an awesome fund ex-instructor to show us all the most fun stuff to do on each particular day.

Not to mention that I have always said that windsurfing is 80% sail handling and 20% board skill and ANY windsurfer will learn far more on a single day on a beginner board and a 4.0 in light winds than they will in 15 days on their normal planing gear.

So ya wind or now wind we are going to have a blast and learn a ton.

Plus I hear from you and everyone else that Cabarete is and incredible party and fun Zone so, I think we are going to have a blast.

Plus Big New Alert Alert.

We are going to be partying from La Ventana all the way through Cabarete in March cause TYSON POOR just beat ALL THE kiters in the LV Island Crossing Race... Booo Ya
mtnview

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went a few years back in March and although it's definitely not the peak wind time we had a blast.

On one of the days it didn't blow, the Vela folks hooked us up with a crazy German guy that took us into the jungle in a remote part of the mountains for some river sliding and cliff jumping. Don't remember his name, but he's a 40-50-ish extreme skiing instructor who spends his offseasons in Cabarete.

Though be warned, you need a sense of humor and large cahones with him. Before we set out he showed us his "first aid kit" for the trip. It was a fully loaded 9mm... If he's still there the Vela folks can connect you. Great trip!

- Dave
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Cabarete Reply with quote

You'll Love Cabarete!!! Can be hit and miss in the Spring but the town is awesome. Good surf in Encuentro, just West of town. Check out Iguana Mamas for excursions into the mountains and stay away from the Mamajuana!! haha
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya what is up with that Mamajuana stuff? Its like some rum soaked in crazy herbs or something. Don't quite get it. Super hangover of what??

Ya and whats up with the mountain excursions, I hear there are some crazy zip lines or something. Or dirt biking action??

Fill me in.
husby_d

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabarete is one of my favorite places for a March vacation.

Some times it has really good wind, but it can go for days without any wind. There's always good waves and plenty of other things to do. It's a great place to learn wave sailing - the reef is about 1/2 mile off shore, so you can get up to speed without having to fight through a shore break.

Iguana Mama's (http://www.iguanamama.com/) has mountain biking trips and canyoning day trips that are a lot of fun.

There's always an intense volleyball game at happy hour, and Lucy makes the best mojitos in the Carribbean.

And it's probably worth mentioning that the Norwegian volleyball team practices every morning on Vela's court and then parties all night in their tight black dresses.

Of course, you can always stay home and watch it via web cam: http://www.cabaretewebcams.com/cam_1.jpg
sinusoidal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

husby_d wrote:
the Norwegian volleyball team practices every morning on Vela's court and then parties all night in their tight black dresses.

which team, girls or boys Question Shocked
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't usually see the boys hanging out in "their tight black dresses." You must frequent a different type of bar than I. ;*)

-Craig

sinusoidal wrote:
husby_d wrote:
the Norwegian volleyball team practices every morning on Vela's court and then parties all night in their tight black dresses.

which team, girls or boys Question Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: