myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who sails Waddell and on the light days he takes out a 120l Kona Minitanker. He loves it says he can do cutbacks easily. He rigs a 7m sail with the thing on light days and he is a clyde. Looks uphaulable if you are under 200lbs.
May be just what you are looking for if you want to be out with the kiters!

exocet-kona-minitanker-sailboard-120ltrs-65cm-10-zoom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.18 KB
 Viewed:  15138 Time(s)

exocet-kona-minitanker-sailboard-120ltrs-65cm-10-zoom.jpg

boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
As one of the guys who goes out when it's not even windy enough to get Andrew interested, I advocate a sailable SUP with a smaller sail. I primarily sail a Starboard 8'10" WidePoint with a 5.8 HSM SuperFreak. It's definitely not the fastest board on the water when the wind picks up or going down the line or the most manueverable, but it's uphaulable (the single most important thing for Tourmaline, in my view), I get plenty of rides and I don't think that I've ever felt overpowered on it. I had an Aero 117 for a while, but I think that any board that needs to be waterstarted is at a big disadvantage at Tourmo. The wind's just too fluky. I get plenty of days on my set-up, even when there's a little bit of size and even when the kiters have gone in due to lack of wind.

This sounds like a perfect board for a heavyweight beginner. I've always wanted to try the waves. I've always been a flat water/slalom sailor. I weigh around 220, think this 8'10" might be a good board for me to learn on? I have an Ezzy 5.8 collecting dust in my garage someplace.....
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swmckay wrote:

I found that the JP FSWs are great for bump and jump, but don't really carve well in the bottom turn (I've had a 2008 and a 2010 Pro). And although they are very fast boards, in chop-prone onshore conditions they can be a bit bumpy to ride. I haven't ridden lots of other boards, but the Goya One, Tabou 3S, Angulo Chango and Fanatic Freewave I've ridden over the past year all seem to have loads of speed without being quite so rough.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. My previous light wind wave board was a Goya One 95L and I find the JP is much better for my needs. Planes earlier, turns better, rides waves better. I agree when overpowered in chop the JP is bouncy and will go sideways in an instant, but by then I have switched to a 82L wave board.

PS This has been a great thread lots of good info!
waitinSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any leads on a used or demo 120l Kona Minitanker?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waitinSD wrote:
Any leads on a used or demo 120l Kona Minitanker?

www.aerotechsails.com
www.progressivesports.com
www.konaone.com
www.griffinkitesusa.com
www.exocet-original.com
www.progressiveboards.com

Progressive has set me up on many occaisions with nice used gear. Ask for Steve Gottlieb and tell him Steve Bard referred you. They are affiliated with Aerotech who import Exocet to the U.S.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_McV wrote:
Strange. I've been thinking about this concept all winter. Seems others have too. I'm 80kg and thinking I would want about 115 ltrs. maybe more under foot for standing around on. I used to use a 100ltr. freestyle board and that worked OK but was a bit sketch when the waves got bigger than head high if steep. That board was super light and early planing. A must.
Problem with the SUP's I've had with mast track is they don't plane. Sea lion seems cool but I want at least one footstrap..
Jeff

I am 88 kg and use the Sealion from 5 to 15 knots. There is no foot straps needed at all because when you sail in less then 15 knots wind the pressure of the sail is so little as the board planes and glides so easy (its not like pushing water on a semi sinker) and in the waves you need to stand where its best to ride the wave not where the foot strap is (light wind waves sailing)
There are hundreds of Sealions in Europe and this guys have a blast and many here have that too ones they step on one and click on it.
Aloha
Jurg
eghoffman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a SeaLion, but I agree with Jurg - gotta move your feet around in light wind. I don't use straps on my SUPs - I tried a couple of times, but they just got in the way.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey stevenbard
sent you a pm but it looks like it's stuck in outbox and not sure if it was actually sent????
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent you PM.
laci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would post this here, as there seems to be an interest, but I have an excellent Minitanker for sale. It has no dings, no repairs. I no longer have room in my van, since now I carry my 8'10 North Pacific SUP, which I can use to sail in most of the conditions I would have used the Minitanker. I am asking $850.

Web DSC_0134.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.48 KB
 Viewed:  14746 Time(s)

Web DSC_0134.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: