myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxsonic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
Like I said, it's San Diego in 10 mph-ish winds. I'm already on a 5.8 when a "normal" sail would probably be 7.5 or bigger - going smaller than 5.8 would mean not even being able to putter into waves anymore. I can't imagine how going from pretty underpowered to really underpowered would help me to plane. I've come to accept it as a fact of life when sailing in SD.

This San Diego heavyweight has a new 2012 Fanatic SUP AllWave 9'10" (191L) on order for San Diego. No wind ---> SUP Surf. Light SD Wind --> Wavesail with a Aerotech 7.8 or Ezzy 6.3. Looking forward to getting this board out on the water.

Max

sup_allwave_2012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.47 KB
 Viewed:  15486 Time(s)

sup_allwave_2012.jpg

loopless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting looking board, hope to see it on the water at Tourmo.

But you would not have had much use for it yesterday at Tourmaline..... I had 3 hours of 4.7 sailing on a 72L - sometimes way overpowered. I even busted out the 66L quad for a few runs.
And 5.2 the day before on a S wind. What an April so far.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay attn to the battens on the Air X 7.8. if it has tubes, replace with rods. OP wanted to know about big boards for light wind in big waves, if i remember?

a short and wide fishy board would be terrifying in huge choppy stuff in one of the pics above. no foot straps would be even more so. side off, crumbly and glassy one could get away with no straps but beware the short and stumpy.... fishy sticks in much over 12 foot get super squirrel-ly at high speeds even in crumbly giants!

i still maintain that if one persists, the stumbling foot strap syndrome goes away with a few more goes. one rarely worries about slogging on smaller boards with foot straps, right?

also, in big surf, one will get washed. those screw in inserts tend to pop out too easily on SUP convertibles. heard about it happening for more than the exocet stuff with dedicated windsurf mast tracks. come on folks, we're windsurfers, right? what's to be ashamed about? show your stuff. be proud. esp. when we can get way higher wave counts even than SUP folks....

btw, i now have the curve 11'5 and the wind SUP. 3-15 mph dayz for the biggest, 10-20 for the 11'5, and 15-35 for the Exo-Wave 105 Pro. the Exo-Wave 105will be pried from my cold, wet dead fingers and toes. wish i had the 95 as well, priceless.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
eghoffman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

191 liters? That's huge, even by my standards. Looks like a cool board, though. See you out there.

Andrew - Sounds like a fun day. Maybe we'll get one soon that's not the day after a rainstorm - I get too sketched out by the water quality issues.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foot straps help for launching thru shore pounds too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jinge, I just bought one of the last exo wave 105's from a shop in Canada. I own 2 95's and 3 105's (2 for the house on Maui) I was on the Exo 105 and my NP 6.2 at Hookipa just a few days ago. All the little guys were slogging while I was having every wave I wanted. Surf 10 foot+ the wind was 18-19. Photo from Hookipa on the 105/6.2

Like we've talked, I sure hope Exocet comes up with a similar board. The 3s is not as good, but is better than most others. The 96 liter model would work as a light wind board for most guys.

Hookipa small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  477.68 KB
 Viewed:  15397 Time(s)

Hookipa small.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, that's a cool shot. I especially like how the clouds complement the wave.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steven! Just proves the old big guys can get out in the fray on the right gear.
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
191 liters? That's huge, even by my standards. Looks like a cool board, though. See you out there.

Andrew - Sounds like a fun day. Maybe we'll get one soon that's not the day after a rainstorm - I get too sketched out by the water quality issues.

I think I am immune. I was brought up surfing at Bondi Beach , a mile away from a sewage outfall ( since moved 10 miles out to sea).

Actually tourmo is only a polluted hell-hole when the drain is running and the surf is small. Big surf cleans it out pretty quickly once the rain stops....
benpfree1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have an exo wave 105 in great shape in Santa Cruz. I never thought I'd sell it but I'd be interested in stepping down to an exo wave 95 if anyone wants to trade. I'm only 175lbs and I think the 105 is a bit large for me. I'd consider selling to for the right price. If anyone is interested e-mail me at benjaminpink at gmail thanks, Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: