myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-wo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damel,

Sent you a PM. Thanks.

3-phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
The AHD Sealion looks really interesting. I saw this video on the Hot Sails Maui forum, first 14 minutes is pretty boring (SUP paddle race and SUP sail round the bouys race), but check the wavesailing between 14 minutes and 17 minutes in. The sailor at 15:18-15:35 really impressed me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSVvRwHCrzo&feature=player_embedded

Bruno he is great on the Sealion and shows that if you "walk" the board it excels on waves and low wind.

we have some in SOCAl and on the easy coast to demo and sell.
For bigger guys and beginner in wave riding go with the Sealion XL and the hot shots get the Sealion Pro. You will be impressed how radical this board turns if you step on the tail.

Aloha
Jurg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much $ is the Sealion pro model? New/Used?
bjamin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - here on Maui I've seen Jason Diffon sail sail out of Kuau in the light conditions we've had lately (10-15 kona/offshore, less on the inside). He's been riding a 104 lt Goya Quad with a 4.9 Goya Bonzai. The Bonzai is a killer light wind sail BTW but that's a different subject. Anyway he's been planing up on the outside and catching more waves than all the SUPs. The wind is way too light (and offshore) for any safe kiting, so this is like revenge of the windsurfer. Jason looks like he's having more fun than anyone out there and I'd always rather sail than SUP so this looks like a good combo to me.
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
How much $ is the Sealion pro model? New/Used?

http://windsurfdeal.com/?link=2&lang=0 $ 1395
XL and the regular Sealion we have demo models for $ 1100 on stock. Pro model 2 weeks back log so order asap to be first in line.
Windsurfdeal will offer a limited number of Sealion, XL or the Pro model to ""Light Wind Wave Sailing Ambassadors"" willing to go an extra step in promoting light wind waves sailing trough out the USA.
Do some promo work let others try out and make some cool go pro videos (discounted pricing). If you are interested to be the first on your beach contact gear@windsurfdeal.com.

Aloha
Jurg
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that the late-model JP Freestyle waves are that good for non-planing wave riding--they are too short and flat. I have an '09 FSW 101 Pro that I've slogged on a lot at Seal Beach and the board feels tiny when you are not planing because it's only 246cm long. Conversely it feels big once powered up because its 24 3/8" wide.

So that might work ok at a pointbreak with a gradual wave but for a beach break that walls up a little it's not ideal. An old-school board that is a bit longer and has a bit more nose rocker might work better.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the longer, narrower, but floatier board for non planing conditions out to wave riding.
On Oahu, I have two Mistral Shredders. Perfect in all combined ways, the length might seem long to a novice, but about the same as any standard sized longboard for surfing. You need the narrow tail to make in the footstrap bottom turns on waves bigger than shoulder high.
For slogging out thru the waves, I'd consider bigger than 104 liters, no matter what the shape distribution. JD is maybe 140 lbs., no wetsuit.
An interesting board is the newer RRD 125 FSW's. Lotsa float in the middleback, lotsa nose kick, narrowish tailblock.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2011/2012 JP FSW's are great on a 'real' wave. You can drop down the face and really lay down a tight bottom turn. Obviously one can't turn a 102L board like a 66L one, but based on my experience, they are pretty damn good.
J_McV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I've been thinking about this concept all winter. Seems others have too. I'm 80kg and thinking I would want about 115 ltrs. maybe more under foot for standing around on. I used to use a 100ltr. freestyle board and that worked OK but was a bit sketch when the waves got bigger than head high if steep. That board was super light and early planing. A must.
Problem with the SUP's I've had with mast track is they don't plane. Sea lion seems cool but I want at least one footstrap. Everything out there seems on the heavy side these days compaired to the previously mentioned freestyle board at around 13 lbs. My main wind stick now is my Mistral 84 twin which is THE Mark Nelson masterpiece. Early planing, light, fast, and way loose. If this board was blown up in size to 115 or so and maybe stretched a bit, it would be the answer for no to light wind surf sailing. One would have to R&D it to refine the shape but I'm sure it would fit the bill. In the mean time I think I'll drag out that old freestyle board again and give it a try.
Jeff
swmckay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
The 2011/2012 JP FSW's are great on a 'real' wave. You can drop down the face and really lay down a tight bottom turn. Obviously one can't turn a 102L board like a 66L one, but based on my experience, they are pretty damn good.

This is why I opted for a larger quad fin board; by all accounts, you can add 5-7 liters of extra volume with no loss of control in windier conditions, and the quads really rip on waves. I got a 92l, but Goya, e.g., makes at least one of those over 100l. (Heh, too bad I haven't gotten out on it yet!) Obviously, single- vs multi-fin is a matter of personal taste, but a quad seems like a good choice for those of us who live in places with waves and lighter winds.

I found that the JP FSWs are great for bump and jump, but don't really carve well in the bottom turn (I've had a 2008 and a 2010 Pro). And although they are very fast boards, in chop-prone onshore conditions they can be a bit bumpy to ride. I haven't ridden lots of other boards, but the Goya One, Tabou 3S, Angulo Chango and Fanatic Freewave I've ridden over the past year all seem to have loads of speed without being quite so rough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: