myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
"Red Tails"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: "Red Tails" Reply with quote

Saw it yesterday, thoroughly entertained, based on history, awesome visuals, featuring the best prop driven plane ever invented (P-51 Mustang), that's what going to the movies is supposed to be like.
The critics have been panning it for a weak storyline, but they like everything else about it. The movies I have generally enjoyed the most, are the ones the critics have panned, for some reason or another.
The story was fine, didn't interfere, I had no problem with it.
See it, learn about the Tuskeegee Airmen, or just watch them if you already know about them, it's quite a ride. Shocked
The big screen is a must!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Red Tails" Reply with quote

The critics' comments that steered me away from it were that the movie glossed over, essentially skipped, the Tuskegee Airmen's history leading up to the Red Tail squadron, reducing the movie to a shallow snapshot of the whole story -- sort of like a MLK, Jr movie showing little more than his march from Selma to Montgomery, which I witnessed up close and first hand. Having been awed almost to the point of worshiping them and their achievements for decades, I'm leery of watching the dumbed-down version. Their treatment by the military was among the lows of this nation's behavior toward blacks, and the unit's accomplishments were among the nation's highs. If the dialogue, acting, and visuals were as represented in the corny previews -- would you say they are? -- I'm doubly worried that the movie will puncture a balloon for me.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I wrote what I wrote, I didn't feel it got a good shake by the critics.
Two things~
It's not a documentary, if you want to learn more about the Tuckeegee Airmen, you can see the original from the 90's w/ Laurence Fishburne, and/or read some books.
But if you are into pure entertainment (that's how I grade movies, did it entertain me), in this case finding out what it would be like to fly a P-51 in a dog fight during WWII, with some real history thrown in, this is the flick.

I'm going to buy a copy when it becomes available, but for now, the big screen is a must.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the critics don't like a movie then I usually do. This one is on my list to go see on the big screen.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
That's why I wrote what I wrote, I didn't feel it got a good shake by the critics.
Two things~
It's not a documentary, if you want to learn more about the Tuckeegee Airmen, you can see the original from the 90's w/ Laurence Fishburne, and/or read some books.
But if you are into pure entertainment (that's how I grade movies, did it entertain me), in this case finding out what it would be like to fly a P-51 in a dog fight during WWII, with some real history thrown in, this is the flick.

You make a sound case, especially since I find that the VAST majority of movie critics pan almost every war movie that doesn't mercilessly bash the hell out the military. Roger Ebert disliked "Top Gun" largely because he couldn't tell the difference between an F-16 and an F-14 and thus found the movie too confusing (the grin, Roger .... go with the grin). (Oh, well ... some friends couldn't tell the good guys from the bad guys in the original "Star Wars" movie.) I guess I'll have to go see "Red Tails".

But I'm STILL skipping "The Iron Lady". I'm fed up with Hollywood producers and actors bashing conservative leaders, and this one reportedly dwells only on Thatcher's collapse, not her heroism or accomplishments.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, thanks soo much for your opinion Iso! I knew you would be an expert on the Tuskegee Airmen before you typed a word.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a documentary done on the Wild Weasels. My dad was in the back seat of the first Wild Weasel team during the Vietnam war. I've listened to a mission tape of pilot to pilot banter and it was pretty crazy. It was pretty hard to follow because I don't know the lingo they were speaking but at one point the conversation got so heated that one of them said "shut the f*cking recorder off!". Kinda wild when you think about these guys flying at the speeds they're flying at,(F-100s) my dad, using a slide rule as one of his tools to navigate. Pretty low tech for going so fast Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: