myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Religion aside, what's the big beef against gay marriage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I do not share the contempt that you and others on the left of this forum have expressed for the electorate.

Sure you do. The electorate, by proxy, elected our president -- and did so by a comfortable margin. You and a few others have continually disparaged him and his work. By dumping on him, you express contempt for the majority of the electorate that selected him to clean up the unbelievable mess left by the previous administration.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote

Quote:
I do not share the contempt that you and others on the left of this forum have expressed for the electorate. I see much more common sense present in ordinary voters than I do coming out of our elected representatives in Washington. I have spent a great deal of time in many counties where the "mob" would, and do, literally die for the system we have here.

Except your version of the system, apparently, would not include the judicial branch?

I don't have contempt for the electorate. I do appreciate that the voter may not understand the ramifications of a poorly written initiative. I do have contempt for those that corrupt the process to advance a social agenda.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times do I have to say that any law, however passed, should be subject to a Constitutional review? You know.........by a judicial branch. Please read my posts before criticizing them.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on mrgybe, let's be honest about this. In your commentary here you have certainly voiced contempt for the unelected judiciary a number of times.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I do not share the contempt that you and others on the left of this forum have expressed for the electorate. I see much more common sense present in ordinary voters than I do coming out of our elected representatives in Washington. I have spent a great deal of time in many counties where the "mob" would, and do, literally die for the system we have here.

Exactly, the system we have here is unique if not entirely perfect and well worth defending. That system includes separation of powers and the original and appellate jurisdiction of the Federal and State courts to review all laws regardless of how formed and passed.

Contempt for the electorate is hardly my thing, if that was directed to me.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the obvious reason to suspect "the electorate" is neither rational nor informed, I can think of two other reasons: Ron Paul supporters and the voting-age people on the street who cannot identify and claim they've never heard of Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Gingrich, Romney, etc., who think Obama is a Republican, who'd probably think NASA faked 911 wearing tin foil hats if asked ... yet say "Of course I'm going to vote; it's my duty. Is there an election going on? I've got to vote against Bush; who else is running?" My question: How hard is it to find these people and how common are they?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude, what are you really trying to say? Let's be "business like" about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: