myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What kind of jibe is this?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: What kind of jibe is this? Reply with quote

Dave White is a big guy but he's dancing around on his board in this clip like Fred Astaire. At 1:45 on this he does I jibe I've never seen. It's pretty cool. Does it have a name? Is it on my Trickshubary dvd and I haven't found it yet?

http://vimeo.com/34216181

jse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwind Jibe. I wanna go where that's filmed. Then I can learn to do them too Smile

Steve
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep backwinded jibe. Nothing like jumping to the other side of your board at full speed.....
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya after I posted this I checked. It's on Trickshunary. Between jibes like this and forwards I'm gonna spend alot of time in the water rather than on my board next season......Come on spring!
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Ya after I posted this I checked. It's on Trickshunary. Between jibes like this and forwards I'm gonna spend alot of time in the water rather than on my board next season......Come on spring!

Get used to it. Before taking some freestyle clinics at ABK, I hardly ever fell, and planned out of 90% of my jibes. Now I fall on just about every jibe Sad It takes a lot of practice. But when you make that jibe that you have been working on for a long, long time..... Priceless Smile
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Its in the Trickionairy Reply with quote

Both Low and High Wind Versions.

If you notice he is going really fast and coasts on the plane for
quite awhile after getting to the other side .
Its also in showin off 1 by Peter Hart where White demonstrates it.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a lot of fun (don't weight the nose when you step around or you will be launched big time!) and in the scheme of freestyle moves, not that hard to learn, though planing out of them requires finesse.

ABK Boardsports teaches them (taught me, anyway).

nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the backwind jibe, what that clip shows me is proof of my contention that I've held for years, the duck jibe is the most efficient jibe there is for coming out of a jibe in a plane w/o scrubbing off hardly any speed.
I also feel that we'd be seeing duck jibes in races if they didn't take up so much room, pileups at the bouy would be massive.
But for time trials (only one sailor on the course at a time), and you were good a duck jibes, you'd be hard to beat.
If you notice, you don't have to step forward on your board while exiting the jibe, thus no scrubbing.

There is nothing like a clean duck jibe for blasting out of it at speed, too much fun.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly agree with your "too much fun" line...when ripping through a duck and exiting on the fly, I always think "why would I ever jibe any other way?" No doubt about it, if conditions are right the duck jibe is tastiest. But if you're carving through disorganized chop or need to adjust course mid jibe, the duck has disadvantages. So for all the imperfect situations and conditions out there we do step jibes.

nw30 wrote:
the duck jibe is the most efficient jibe there is for coming out of a jibe in a plane w/o scrubbing off hardly any speed.
I also feel that we'd be seeing duck jibes in races if they didn't take up so much room, pileups at the bouy would be massive.
But for time trials (only one sailor on the course at a time), and you were good a duck jibes, you'd be hard to beat.
If you notice, you don't have to step forward on your board while exiting the jibe, thus no scrubbing.

There is nothing like a clean duck jibe for blasting out of it at speed, too much fun.

westender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd consider those conditions boring after a while but they'd be great for practicing your tricky turns. Where is that place???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: