myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What kind of jibe is this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't gonna happen. He dummies up when asked. It's funny. With all that wealth of knowledge, he can post the tiny url's like nobody's business and all of a sudden can't post pictures or videos.....That's a quick way to lose credibility.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have pictures or videos, not of windsurfing or any of my other sports, not of my trip through the Grand Canyon, not of my family, not of my wedding, not of anything to speak of. I can't post 'em if I don't have 'em, and I'm not going to burden someone else with the task of shooting videos on a windy day. Strangely enough, I live my life for myself and my wife, not for other people's jollies. What a concept! I DO life (including writing about it), not LOOK at it.

You guys will just have to make do ... or not ... with these facts:
• Several people I don't even know have posted these comments: "Iso sails like he says he does", "He's easily among the upper 20% of sailors at Roosevelt", and "Ask Iso about his high-speed dismount". My sailing gets comments (mostly positive) more days than not from both friends and strangers; examples include "Extremely aggressive jibes", "You sail all OVER the place!", "You do all that HOOKED IN?", "Man, you really enjoy your WSing, don't you?", "$#!+, Mike, you can get some serious air when you try", "You're really arcin' and sparkin' today", "You can handle more wind than anybody else around here your size", "Holy CRAP but you're fast!", etc.

(Calling that "bragging" makes no sense. I can't even duck, or loop, or outrun a fast non-jiber riding a racy board on flat water. I crash on more jibes than not some days since my balance went to hell. I don't try any tricks I can't learn in one or two tries. THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT: Almost anything I can do is easily attainable, yet adds a lot of fun to very ordinary conditions for very ordinary sailors.)

• The only thing I do that any intermediate to advanced -- way sub-expert -- WSer can't make progress on in one day is my preferred jibing style. It took me years to develop from a non-jibing basis, so I'm guessing it would take casual barn-door stall-jibers weeks to months to learn. But slashing? Sinkers? Jump starts? Sliding into third? Wheelie stops? Anyone for whom going fast in the straps and harness on any board <120 liters on any windy lake is second nature can progress on those in literally one day. THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I KEEP BRINGING THEM UP WHEN I THINK IT MAY MOTIVATE SOMEONE TO PUSH HIS ENVELOPE. They're fun, they're attainable to anyone with sustained 20-mph winds, and unlike most tricks, they provide instant gratification and are useful.

It completely escapes me why so many people want to suppress this. Some of them probably paid such a high price for their advanced freestyle skills that they consider simpler skills beneath them. Others reveal after their criticism that they can’t quite plane through their jibes yet (translation: they’re years away from it). Others don’t realize that it doesn’t take ocean waves to carve and rip and slash and turn and burn, so they resign their lake sailing to big boards and huge fins and straight lines even if they’re powered up on a 6.0. Then there’s the false rumor, often promoted by some published expert sailors to the denial of fun for heartland sailors everywhere, that it takes current and nuke winds to enjoy the benefits of sinkers. Worse yet, some claim sinkers have no advantages.

That, to me, is like a Dad telling his 12-yo son that girls are no fun and should never be approached. I suggest that each of you experiment and decide for yourself.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I don't get out to Rosey that often, and you don't get into the Corridor that
much, but I like shooting video, so if you see me, just holler, and I'll
shoot some of ya. Since my stamina requires a couple of breaks during
the day, it's no burden at all.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
I don't have pictures or videos, not of windsurfing or any of my other sports, not of my trip through the Grand Canyon, not of my family, not of my wedding, not of anything to speak of. I can't post 'em if I don't have 'em, and I'm not going to burden someone else with the task of shooting videos on a windy day..
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; I'll keep that in mind.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Craig's offer, isobars has a great opportunity to show his stuff off out on the water. Moreover, the upbeat part of it is the fact that it done fairly. I trust Craig on that, as he has always given isobars a fair shake in the past.

With the upcoming season in 4 to 5 months, isobars has a great opportunity to style with abandon in the Corridor, stoken on the Gorge's mainline scene. A chance to experience a taste of the old days.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Hey Mike,

I don't get out to Rosey that often, and you don't get into the Corridor that
much, but I like shooting video, so if you see me, just holler, and I'll
shoot some of ya. Since my stamina requires a couple of breaks during
the day, it's no burden at all.

-Craig

Really you don't hit Roosevelt in the late Spring early Summer??? You are missing it. I was out there at least 8 - 10 times this year and it's a 160 mile roundtrip drive for me. But many, many days, it was overcast, wet and ugly in Hood River, but just east of Maryhill, sunny, windy and 70 degrees (while hood river was in the 50's). It's worth the drive...
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssshhhhh. There are a few hermits who still haven't caught on, and parking is way too often at a premium.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I get out there a few times a year, usually in the Spring and once or
twice in the fall. If it's grey and rainy in HR (and there's potential
for wind out East) , we just keep driving until we get it, but I usually don't make it
past The Wall because of wind there. ;*)

-Craig

johnl wrote:

Really you don't hit Roosevelt in the late Spring early Summer??? You are missing it. I was out there at least 8 - 10 times this year and it's a 160 mile roundtrip drive for me. But many, many days, it was overcast, wet and ugly in Hood River, but just east of Maryhill, sunny, windy and 70 degrees (while hood river was in the 50's). It's worth the drive...
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of many windsurfers (myself included) who don't have a more rosy view of their talents than perhaps reality warrants. I see it simply as enthusiasm, and the driving force that keeps us motivated.

Three years ago a local T.V. crew descended on our patch (with prior warning, of course) to showcase what was going on. Apart from a kite champ who was expected to put on a jumping show and explain what it was all about, and a local shop owning hot shot windsurfer who was also obliged to strut his skills, the majority of the rest of us simply stayed away.

It wasn't that we couldn't do things, but that we wished to be left alone. We didn't feel that we needed to justify ourselves to the world in general. Perhaps others feel the same?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
1. I see it simply as enthusiasm, and the driving force that keeps us motivated.

2. Three years ago a local T.V. crew descended on our patch... the majority of the rest of us simply stayed away. It wasn't that we couldn't do things, but that we wished to be left alone.

3. We didn't feel that we needed to justify ourselves to the world in general. Perhaps others feel the same?

1. Precisely. That's why it escapes me why so many people want to suppress some people's enthusiasm and advocacy for attempting more than BAFing on big boards with giant fins. I hope no one lets such buzzkilling negativism deter them from expanding their fun and skill.

2. That one also escapes me. TV or no TV, I'm still choosing my venue based on wind and swell and room to play, not the presence or absence of cameras. A TV camera is just like a tree, or another sailor on the water, or a bridge abutment: an obstacle we shouldn't run into. If its presence clears out a crowd, bring it on.

3. I absolutely agree that we don't need to justify ourselves to anyone else, particularly since “the message” can often be so easily validated by ignoring people who say “Don’t Do That” or “You Can’t Do That” and instead trying it for yourself.

“Machines can’t fly!”
“OK, but they can’t break the sound barrier.”
“$#!+! Well, we sure as HELL can’t fly to the moon.”
“BFF sinks the tail.”
“Jibes must take up a quarter-acre (I was once told 50-100 meters).”
“You must grab the mast to jibe.”
“You must pivot your front foot out of its strap and use its heel to steer.”
“Sinkers (and 2005 B&J boards) don’t work.”
“You’re supposed to sail in straight lines on lakes.”
“LOOP a WINDSURFER? Ridiculous!”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: