myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What kind of jibe is this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I particularly agree with your "too much fun" line...when ripping through a duck and exiting on the fly, I always think "why would I ever jibe any other way?" No doubt about it, if conditions are right the duck jibe is tastiest. But if you're carving through disorganized chop or need to adjust course mid jibe, the duck has disadvantages. So for all the imperfect situations and conditions out there we do step jibes.

nw30 wrote:
the duck jibe is the most efficient jibe there is for coming out of a jibe in a plane w/o scrubbing off hardly any speed.
I also feel that we'd be seeing duck jibes in races if they didn't take up so much room, pileups at the bouy would be massive.
But for time trials (only one sailor on the course at a time), and you were good a duck jibes, you'd be hard to beat.
If you notice, you don't have to step forward on your board while exiting the jibe, thus no scrubbing.

There is nothing like a clean duck jibe for blasting out of it at speed, too much fun.

And I'd partially agree with that statement, but I've been sailing exclusively in the surf for the last 20'ish years, and I still love to do them, mostly on the inside (small sail, small board). It can be choppy and full of whitewater, but if you pull it off just right, you'll come out of it with plenty of power to hit that first ramp of an unbroken wave to get max air on your way back out. Your basic jibe may not give you that with the same power, in the same instance, so the duck is always in the back of my mind everytime I jibe on the inside, depending on the wave setup.
But that's just me.
I worship the duck, and they taste good too. Wink
jse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I don't know if I'd consider those conditions boring after a while but they'd be great for practicing your tricky turns. Where is that place???

I think Dahab, Egypt.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck jibe is the most effective jibe, I agree. I can make them about 95% of the time. Even totally blown jibes I can sail away from in a duck jibe. I like them overpowered too. Just oversheet first. Think about a slice of pie. If you oversheet and do a duck jibe, the sail travels as far as the slice. On the other hand if you do a conventional jibe, the sail travels as far as the rest of the pie.

Steve

nw30 wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
I particularly agree with your "too much fun" line...when ripping through a duck and exiting on the fly, I always think "why would I ever jibe any other way?" No doubt about it, if conditions are right the duck jibe is tastiest. But if you're carving through disorganized chop or need to adjust course mid jibe, the duck has disadvantages. So for all the imperfect situations and conditions out there we do step jibes.

nw30 wrote:
the duck jibe is the most efficient jibe there is for coming out of a jibe in a plane w/o scrubbing off hardly any speed.
I also feel that we'd be seeing duck jibes in races if they didn't take up so much room, pileups at the bouy would be massive.
But for time trials (only one sailor on the course at a time), and you were good a duck jibes, you'd be hard to beat.
If you notice, you don't have to step forward on your board while exiting the jibe, thus no scrubbing.

There is nothing like a clean duck jibe for blasting out of it at speed, too much fun.

And I'd partially agree with that statement, but I've been sailing exclusively in the surf for the last 20'ish years, and I still love to do them, mostly on the inside (small sail, small board). It can be choppy and full of whitewater, but if you pull it off just right, you'll come out of it with plenty of power to hit that first ramp of an unbroken wave to get max air on your way back out. Your basic jibe may not give you that with the same power, in the same instance, so the duck is always in the back of my mind everytime I jibe on the inside, depending on the wave setup.
But that's just me.
I worship the duck, and they taste good too. Wink
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I've been sailing exclusively in the surf for the last 20'ish years, and I still love to do them, mostly on the inside (small sail, small board). It can be choppy and full of whitewater, but if you pull it off just right, you'll come out of it with plenty of power to hit that first ramp of an unbroken wave to get max air on your way back out.

Hey the inside of wave locations offer perfect conditions IMHO (and I throw them there too when I see the opportunity.) Some whitewater rolls through and leaves a small but lovely flat area. And I too love those first ramps, which while not always the biggest, are often very nicely shaped for big air!

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see that some of you have finally seen the light, that it's OK to talk stoke about the kind of sailing that lights your fires. That's got to do more to attract newbies and motivate the oldies than the way identical enthusiasm has been handled here so often, with unbridled derision and criticism because you attributed it to braggadocio rather than stoke. Don't ya think we'll attract and motivate more people with enthusiasm than with scorn?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes . . . finally seen the light. How long have your eyes been illuminated prior to the rest of us? Sheesh.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Oh yes . . . finally seen the light. How long have your eyes been illuminated prior to the rest of us? Sheesh.

I would add that the vast majority of "us" have always been contributing comments with stoke about the kind of sailing that lights our fires, while you have been the principal source of derision and criticism. There are probably without exaggeration over a thousand examples of this (and of course an entire body of art dedicated to making light of your diatribes:)

http://www.teamcoyote.net/shot_otd.html

As far as "Don't ya think we'll attract and motivate more people with enthusiasm than with scorn?" I would say that your attacks on anyone who disagrees with you has driven away more people than any single thing in this forum (or rec.windsurfing, for that matter.) Where in this forum do you find people arguing windsurfing "with unbridled derision and criticism" in which you are not one of the principals?

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.teamcoyote.net/shot_otd.html

Yikes!

I don't know Isobars or even Brucie whoever that was/is, but it looks to me like there may be some serious, maybe even clinical obsessiveness going on here. Confused
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders what his comeback will be. It's only a matter of time before it unfolds.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
1. you have been the principal source of derision and criticism. There are probably without exaggeration over a thousand examples of this ... your attacks on anyone who disagrees with you has driven away more people than any single thing in this forum (or rec.windsurfing, for that matter.)

2. Where in any forum do you find people arguing windsurfing "with unbridled derision and criticism" in which you are not one of the principals?

1. Then why has no one ever been able provide even one, let alone several, examples of any baseless personal attacks from me despite dozens of similar challenges over the past 20 years?

2. That's my point. I am a principal, often only, target of baseless personal derision in these debates. I've copied and pasted many others' such comments here -- not to mention the libelous website you cite -- in documented attempts to curb baseless personal attacks, yet no one can cite any of mine ... merely hollow accusations such as your own false unsupported claim as MTVNewsGuy that I'm a liar.

Do you guys not realize how your endless unsupported baseless personal accusations make you look to intelligent readers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: