myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WINDSURFING magazine to suspend publication
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bericw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, thanks for what was. Truely bad news. Hope you had a good day on the mountain, with many many more to come.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no more free hats that are too small for anyone to wear but girls or guys with really small heads, or carry-on bags that have zippers that fail on the 10th try? WTF? I'm incensed!!!
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
What, no more free hats that are too small for anyone to wear but girls or guys with really small heads, or carry-on bags that have zippers that fail on the 10th try? WTF? I'm incensed!!!

The mag was good tho.
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks.
Josh, you were doing it awesome. Best of luck!
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension of publication of Windsurfing Magazine makes one wonder what the real state of the sport is in the US. If Windsurfing Magazine is pulling out of the game, things must be bad.....so what is the un-whitewashed state of the sport. Here are some facts which only today were brought to my attention. Resent research shows there are more windsurfers in France than there are in the US. There are more windsurfers in Germany than there are in the US. Windsurfing in the other parts of the world is doing fine, but here in the US, nada. Hell, even here in fantasticly windy Corpus Christi, the windsurfing club "CCWA" has all but disappeared. It no longer has a Commodore, there are no executive meetings being held, there are no functions being planned and held, not even a Xmas party.

Windsurfing Magazine seemed to always be saying, ... windsurfing in the US is doing great. Is this the way it ends?
edoremus337

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sad news to hear. I always looked forward to the next issue of WSing Mag. Good luck in the future Josh.
joe_windsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are all being too kind
#$%^&*()_+
Crying or Very sad
#W$%^&*()%^&*()

is it ONLY about money ??
if all subscribers agree to pay double for one(1) year , it is enuff ??
there must be corporate sponsorship potential - what about companies like Maui Sails , that are US based ?

there has to be a way, non ??

makes NO cents !!!!

what a mofo %^&*(
{sorry}
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this on line mag is free, they are taking over many of the Boards UK magazine tests and news updates.

http://www.boardseekermag.com/home.php

The fact that some of your first thoughts is 'wheres my money ?'
whilst people are losing their jobs is disgusting. I would think you will be offered another magazine for your subscription duration or a refund.

I have been critical of the magazines content , I have seen a refreshing
change in the past years, I enjoyed reading it, and the tests while sometimes inconclusive, aren't they all ? were entertaining at least.

This is a sign of the times, worldwide, not just here in the USA.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a print magazine in the U.S. (I do) support Windsport. The editor (Pete Dekay) is a great guy. That's the print choice we have, aside from regionals (go NEWJ!)
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfer wrote:
is it ONLY about money ??
if all subscribers agree to pay double for one(1) year , it is enuff ??
there must be corporate sponsorship potential - what about companies like Maui Sails , that are US based ?

Just the opposite may be the case. The first (well, second*) indication that Performance Windsurf Report was hitting the skids was when its advertisers could no longer pay their bills as their sales slumped when the market shifted towards the next fad (snowboarding, in that case). If manufacturers can't pay legally obligated debts such as their advertising bills, they surely can't afford to voluntarily "sponsor" the same magazine. Besides, accusations of product review bias have been rampant for decades in every publication this side of Consumer Reports Magazine; tests directly funded by manufacturers would be a total joke, more accurately called "sales brochures".

* PWR's first sign of trouble was when it stopped paying its debts to contracted writers and editors, including yours truly, long before publication ceased. That seems to be a pattern. PWR wisely did the same thing WSMag's parent org is doing: follow the (fad) money. To work, capitalism is and must be about profit, not altruism.

Pay double for a year? Didn't you notice the recent, desperate, deceptive flood of subscription solicitations online and in your mailbox? I'll betcha a fin screw four things about that:
1. It was a last-ditch attempt to bring in some revenues.
2. Corporate management knew, or at least strongly suspected, that we may not get more than an issue or two from any new subscription revenues before publication ceased.
3. That attempt failed even at normal price; double price would have failed even bigger.
4. Josh not only had no say in that questionable process, but spoke out against it, to no avail. He could do only his own job, not speak and act for the corporation.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: