myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Revo vs M/S Global Vs Duke
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Revo vs M/S Global Vs Duke Reply with quote

Looking for used power wave sail. Any thoughts on the models Swks Revo vs the North Duke vs M/S GlobaL ? Any difference in performance, durability and mast requirements ?
Thanks
damel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swks Revo is made of durable fabric, performs well all around but the battens are probably brittle tubes like in other Sailworks sails and will break if the sail is caught in shore break. The Revo is a true all-terrain sail and can be tuned very well, meaning if you take of a couple cm of downhaul the sail will still perform ok unlike other sails that only work well at 1 downhaul setting.

North Duke I tried in Cape Hatteras 5.8 and 5.3 on an Ezzy RDM mast. The sails had great power when you wanted it but felt extremely light in the hands during maneuvers. I really loved this sail when I used it but could tell it wouldn't be a good sail for light weight wave riders. Awesome for bigger people in the waves and anyone who wants to do freestyle or mostly sails in flat-bump & jump conditions. I was really interested in this sail when I lived on the east coast because it would work extremely well in puffy conditions, when everyone is on a 5.8 you can get away rigging a 5.3 with this sail.

I have never tried the global but hear nothing but good things about it and would seriously consider that sail.

Summary: Make sure the mast you are planning to use will work well with the sail, considering the sails you are considering I would assume your mast is a constant curve or stiff top mast. I would recommend the duke over the revo as far as performance but the Duke is made of lighter less durable materials. I would suspect the global is a good blend of the good things from both the Duke and Revo.

rlemmens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Gaatra Poison up until last year, I liked it a lot. You may want to add that to your list as well.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a 6.4 Duke, a 6.2 Poison and a 6.2 Global. Before that I had a 6.0 Ezzy. Both the Poison and the Global were infinitly better on the low end than the Ezzy, but not as good as the Ezzy when overpowered. I used the Duke on a Powerex 85% RDM and it always felt heavy and unresponsive, so likely the wrong mast for the sail. I so disliked it I sold it for next to nothing, but since I never sailed it with the correct mast I don't view this as a valid review.

Warning - I also consider the Global and the Poison as mast sensitive. I initially used the Global with an Ezzy mast and I thought the sail was beyond awful. Then I switched to a Gaastra RDM and the Global came alive. Powerful yet light in the hands. It no longer jerked me around when a gust came. Easy to depower on a wave. I would rate the Poison and the Global as similar, and get which ever one is a better price.
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damel wrote:

North Duke I tried in Cape Hatteras 5.8 and 5.3 on an Ezzy RDM mast. The sails had great power when you wanted it but felt extremely light in the hands during maneuvers. I really loved this sail when I used it but could tell it wouldn't be a good sail for light weight wave riders. Awesome for bigger people in the waves and anyone who wants to do freestyle or mostly sails in flat-bump & jump conditions. I was really interested in this sail when I lived on the east coast because it would work extremely well in puffy conditions, when everyone is on a 5.8 you can get away rigging a 5.3 with this sail.

I'll second this: the North Dukes and Ices are both quite powerful (the Ice a bit less than the Duke), but what distinguishes them from many other sails is their incredibly light feel when you're handling them. This lightness is very sensitive to downhaul; if you're even a little under-downhauled, the sail will feel sluggish. I use my 5.9 Duke when a lot of other folks are out on 6.x, and I keep up just fine with people who are my size (165 lbs).

I've used North sails with North "drop shape" and Ezzy skinny masts, and they both work really well. Hot Sails masts are good, too. I don't know about other brands, though.

The Dukes improved substantially starting around 2008/2009; if you buy used, don't go earlier than that, if possible. If you can score 2010 or 2011 at a good price, they're fantastic. You might also consider a 5.8 Ice, which will be more durable than the Duke (lots more X-Ply).

--Scott
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Revo is meant for waves. no issues with tubes.

Aerotech's 5 batten sail for side shore to offshore is the Charge. lots of power, control, and stability.

6 batten sail for onshore or BAF'ing is the Phantom. east coast sails designed for max power,durability, lightness and tuning.

tuning on RDM's is a bit trickier than SDM's. one can over down haul far too easily now. getting overpowered? time to rig down sooner. pulling the shape out of a sail is counter productive.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
http://www.seanski.com/
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailworks Revolutions are excellent sails. Sailworks makes one wave sail, not four like North. Bruce Peterson makes this work by building the most tuneable sail on the planet. Want a DTL wave sail, tune it flat and twisted, want it grunty and powered up, rig it full and tight. There is a huge tuning range that works. And the construction is bomb proof.

A major plus is that Sailworks loft is located in Hood River, Or., and the customer service is second to none. Have a problem? Call up the Sailworks Loft and talk to Dale Cook, and it will get resolved. Try that with the big boys.

KMF
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf brings up a notable point with Sailworks. They are there, and do great repairs for a reasonable price. While they have the knowledge and materials to repair any brand sail (I've had both Windwings and Hansens repaired there), I'm sure you would get an absolutely impeccable repair with a Sailworks sail.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two Dukes, the 6.9 and the 5.9. I bought the 6.9 new and the 5.9 used after I had been sailing with the 5.9. When I took possession of the 5.9, I thought I would never use it as I had three other sails in that size. However, I shipped two of them to Florida and used the 5.9 for freestyle in very light winds the last two summers on Cape Cod. (I'm a heavy weight and need large sails.) It was a lot of fun, and in spite of my lack of freestyle ability, I received glowing compliments from people who watched me from the beach. The sail is easy to handle for sure. I've had some good bump-and-jump type sailing with the 6.9, but not in big waves. It's been a long time, actually, since I used it, too. Nevertheless, I rig both with North Drop shape masts, and wouldn't rig them without a mfg.'er recommended mast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Looking at a Revo and may move on it. Happy Holidays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: