myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newb gear question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerguy83

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Newb gear question Reply with quote

So I'm thinking about getting into the sport, I already surf, sail, wakeboard, etc. The sail boat is over an hour away and doesn't travel well; I have a ton of access to rivers around the Middle Chesapeake Bay. I already know that I don't want a new board to learn on, as I progress that will lead me to a new board once I know what I want out of a board. I’m looking for a good entry level kit to learn the basics on with the gf. Stumbled across this today, http://richmond.craigslist.org/spo/2722446433.html
http://heftyhippo.com/heftyh_hippo_00000a.htm Couple questions, decent beginner kit? I think it's a bit over priced but not sure by how much I'm thinking closer to $300-$450. There are much better pics in the second link.

Me, 5'10" 180 lbs
GF, 5'6" 135 lbs
Thanks for the opinions
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offering advice for beginners isn't all that simple. There are many factors like - dedication to learning/mastering a skill; water access; frequency; typical conditions; finances; boyfriend/girlfriend relationship; and on and on.

First - In my opinion, the gear for sale is an OK deal for everything you get. It's old and even though it is in "good" shape, plastics can get brittle over time without use. The sails, booms, masts will probably be good only for learning and working up to a novice level. Fiberglass masts are pretty much only good for flagpoles for 99% of today's windsurfers. You will likely want to upgrade the masts, booms and sails pretty early in your endeavor.

The boards are fine, but if anything breaks, finding replacement parts will be VERY difficult. For the most part, very little is interchangeable between brands.

The size of the boards will be OK for learning, but bigger, wider boards will cut the learning process / curve in half. You will spend a lot more time falling in, climbing up and so on than on a newer wide board.

I think you could probably get the bunch for $500 with a little negotiating.

Also, take lessons, it will save you a ton of time and frustration. I doubt that this gear will go quickly, so it may be worth taking some lessons on some newer gear from an instructor to see how committed you want to be, then look for something to buy.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, this guy knows how to market stuff. I've sold used dirt bikes snowmobiles, and WSing boards and rigs and components by the hundreds, and find that gear cleanliness, information, and presentation are very helpful and persuasive to buyers. The only remaining question is the suitability of the gear, and I haven't sailed the Samba since they were new, so I don't remember.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gear is in real good condition, but it's old (like early '90's old). I sailed a Bic Samba a bit when I was first learning, and it's just OK. It will be much more difficult to learn on than today's beginner boards. These are transition boards, and unfortunately, that means they don't do much of anything too well. They're too small and tippy for true beginners, and they're too big and heavy for any real planing performance. Plus those small fins make it real difficult to get back in the straps on any consistent or comfortable basis. The booms and extensions are more difficult to use than today's more refined designs.

It's pretty clear that this stuff was rarely used (kind of a shame actually). The guy probably bought it, struggled with it occasionally, and eventually gave up. Unfortunately, that was the story of a lot of would-be windsurfers back in the day trying to learn on this kind of gear. Since you've already got sailing and surfing experience, there's a good chance you can make this stuff work to a point (anyone else, and I'd say pass on it). Keep in mind though that you will struggle more than necessary in the beginning with this gear, and your learning curve will be limited because of the performance limitations of this old gear. I think the seller is probably pretty much in the ball park for price considering the condition and quantity of gear - it's basically two complete packages. But if you're serious about getting into windsurfing and succeding, you would probably be wise to see what other gear you can find that was built during this century.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soccerguy83,

I think that you're looking at a damn good package here. Sure, it's old stuff made in the early 90s, but the condition of everything is outstanding. For $600, given everything that you're getting, it's a steal if you're really serious. However, if you're not that serious, or looking to flip everything for a profit, there's not much market today for such old stuff, even though it's in such great condition.

While the large board at 340cm is a bit on the small side for a beginner with zero experience, it definitely doable for a dedicated learner. No doubt the board would be a bit more tippy than newer modern designs, but the learning curve is actually pretty quick really for an athletic person. If I were you, I would consider renting a larger beginner board once or twice, and maybe include a lesson or two, to help get you over the hump and on-track with the core basics. Then you can move right into the 340cm board without too much difficulty.

I recommend going for it, and if you can shave off $50-100, all the better. Windsurfing is such a great sport, and with all this gear, you'll be off to a good start. Welcome aboard.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious, you will find that you will become quickly dissatisfied with the kit, especially the boards. But it will work for learning-- you need something. That being said, for the money it is reasonably priced for what you get, but you don't need 2 whole set ups just to transition to the next stage. Pay half for half of the stuff, get the bigger board. Definitely worth it for using to begin and progress.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. The stuff is in good condition and it will get you started.

Just a warning: Though both boards have decent volume, they are very narrow and tippy by today's standards. I can tell you from experience that the SAMBA is especially tippy, so I think both you and your GF will want to share the LAMBADA to start with.

The decks of the boards are likely to be slippery, and they have things that you can stub your toes on, so you'll need to wear wetsuit booties.

The mast extensions and universal joints are an old, non-standard type. Probably one of the first new things you will invest in are new Chinook extensions and U-joints.

You'll need someone to show you how to put everything together the first time. Rigging the sails is especially tricky, and they won't work well if you don't rig them right. You'll want to use the smallest sail to start with. Of course, even the 4.5 sail is going to feel heavy with the fiberglass 460 cm mast. If you can find a carbon 430 cm mast it might be a good upgrade.

For lessons and people to sail with, google "Windsurfing Enthusiasts of Tidewater" and "Baltimore Area Boardsailing Association".

Good luck.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Craig's List math going on there (0+0+0+0...=600.) Around here it would be worth zero. In a non-windsurfing-hotspot maybe $200 max. Just my humble opinion.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
A lot of Craig's List math going on there (0+0+0+0...=600.)

Cleverly and accurately put.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$250 for the whole pile. You couldn't give it away at a swap meet. Maybe $10 for the Chinook boom.

A beginner with sailing experience could make good use of it. It's a lot of stuff for the money and compared to what he paid for it new, some consider it a deal at the asking price. I don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: