myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Wave Sails Evolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Ezzy Wave Sails Evolution Reply with quote

Hi,

I have started looking for used Ezzy sails (3.7-4.2-5.0) to replace very old Simmer sails. I sail inland, so it will be bump & jump. The sails are not going to see very intense use either, because the area is not blessed with high winds.

I would like to know how I can mix and match sails from different years to get a consistant feeling in my quiver.

I think :

2004-2006 SE could go well together
2007-2008 SE are more baggy, maybe even better in my case
2009-2011 WP would be great together

Would a 2006 and 2009 behave similarly?
I guess new Ezzy masts will be a perfect match to old sails?
Any other comments?

Thanks!

Sailboarder
Bobski30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Ezzy SE Reply with quote

I'm selling a 2008 Ezzy SE For $300 if intrested. It is in A+ condition. If you want any info or pictures let me know. I loved it for lakes and bays.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mix of '09--2011 both Panthers and Freeride in 6.5 //7.5

I notice small variations in rigging more so than anything, on the water when I step down to a 6.oPanther its feel so similar to the F/R

I like and prefer Ezzy masts, so RDMs in the 6.0 down, I do use a 460 at times on the 6.5, but the feel for me is better with a 100% SDM Powerex, for 6.5//7.5

I have the original Wave SE, 200.. something and it feels still very much like the newer, only very occasional use.

Ezzy will work on the SDMs pretty well, the mast bend curve being more important that ifs its a RDM//SDM

I like the F/R in larger sizes ..above 6.0.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no difference, unless you allow your intellect to interfere.
I mix several different brands of sails in all sizes, and there is no problems acclimating to any of them.
The wind and the chop, overpowered or under, different boards, different fins, make much more difference.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Makes no difference, unless you allow your intellect to interfere.

Interesting comment. I guess you mean for sails in the same program?

My (limited)experience is as follow:

Ezzy 6.0 and 7.5, Freerides of different years: very compatible feeling.

Kona 9.0, Longboard. Much nicer than 7.5 in low wind, very unstable in higher wind. The center of pull moves around quite a bit. Very different.

Old Simmer OS Wave 5.2: A big step in term of power compared to the 6.0. Very twichy too, but it is a wave sail. Very different.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who has used post 2000 OnshoreWaves will tell you they are the most stable of all wave sails, almost suitable for slalom racing. It was a Euro design, tons of twist and draft back. Needs more downhaul than their two other "wimpy" models of waves sails.
I can go from North, Ezzy, Gaastra, Simmer 5-5.2's directly to North, Ezzy, or Gaastra 4.5-7's. Make no difference whatsoever.
I can rotate thru sails from 1993 thru 2007, make no difference whatsoever. The handful of 2011 sails I tried were about the same as my NorthConvert 1997's
I have 1993 Gaastra Slalom Sails that are as fast as anything today, and as stable.
Have you ever seen vids or sailed with Dunk, Brindalh, Naish, any of the guys from the late '80's? They sail better than you and I using that old gear.
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the answer for you I am selling 2007- Ezzy wave 5.3, 4.7 for $175 each both in excellent condition and 2008 Ezzy wave 4.2 for $175 also in excellent condition send me an email if you are interested
Johnanton732@gmail.com great sails, excellent condition and the sizes your looking for
Great sails and very good price

Cheers
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Anyone who has used post 2000 OnshoreWaves will tell you they are the most stable of all wave sails, almost suitable for slalom racing.

Mine seems to be pre-2000. It specs are not on the Simmer site. I am not saying that it is a bad sail, but it is quite different from my next size up. I'll try more uphaul on it.

zirtaeb wrote:
Have you ever seen vids or sailed with Dunk, Brindalh, Naish, any of the guys from the late '80's? They sail better than you and I using that old gear.

Most people sail better than I !! But I am also much better with my Ezzy 6.0 than I am with my 1984 6.0 Sailboard sail (made by NP). I was quite proud at the time that the sail was not triangular but a fat-head instead... The sail is great in very low wind, but that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: