myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Used boards on Maui
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Used boards on Maui Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm toying with bringing my gear this time, but the only thing that has me hesitant about the idea is board choice. I don't have a 75-80l wave board. I can bring my 90l FSW, and it will do quite well, but if the swell is up and I can be out on a 4.7 I'd rather have a smaller dedicated wave board. So I was thinking either leave my 90l at home and buy a decent used board when I get there, or take my 90l and rent the right one for the days that it might be needed.

I've visited Maui many times, so I know the rental drill well.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of used wave boards for sale on Maui. Call Kanaha Kai and Second Wind right now and see what they have sitting there. Or just show up and drive to Kanaha, see what someone has left leaning on the rail with a "for sale" sign on it.

Worst case scenario, you rent for a few days.

--chris
rich1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,

It's a bit early to call yet, I won't be there till Feb, it's just that I'm doing some repairs on my FSW and I can't spray until the spring, so it's got me thinking about buying my first board ever. (I've shaped every board I've ever owned)

You know I've driven past Kanaha Kai about a thousand times but I've never gone in. They're one of the better shops for used stuff? I've bought a few used sails from second wind over the years, but never really looked at the boards. As for the rail at Kanaha, I have to say I've never seen anything for sail there. But I'll keep my eye out. As long as I know that it's pretty much a given to find what I'm looking for, I'm game.

Sounds like a plan, show up with everything but the board, if it's firing the first day and I don't find what I'm looking for, rent and try again the next morning.

Cheers

Chris
wmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Used boards on Maui Reply with quote

rich1 wrote:
Hi Guys,
but if the swell is up and I can be out on a 4.7 I'd rather have a smaller dedicated wave board.
Chris

I doubt you will be on a 4.7 in February unless you are very light. I have been here 2 months and the last 12 days out I have been 5.0 or bigger and I am 140#. I have been using a 82 liter board in uppers recently and would have been using a 5.3 if I had a decent one. I just got a couple of boards this week by asking guys I know if they had boards in the 80 liter range.

Mike
rich1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt you will be on a 4.7 in February unless you are very light

I hear ya Mike. I've been travelling to Maui mid winter for a long time, and I haven't had many 4.7 days (I'm 175#). You do get 'em though, but for sure the sails are almost always a 5.* Still anything sub 5.5 with waist high or more justifies a real wave board in the 80l range.
Perhaps I'll throw up another post just before I leave and see if anyone has something I could look at
justingordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: 75 L Wave Board and nonstop wind in Maui Reply with quote

I've got a nearly brand new, albeit 5-6 year old Mark Nelson Mistral Board. I got the board directly from Mark for a great deal of something like $1300 5-6 years ago, and I've used it less than 20 times. I've got it on craigslist for only $275.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2680952789

Also, the wind has not slowed down this winter supposedly from La Nina. Total opposite of last winter.

Check out the last 2 months at Kanaha:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=235&archiveMonth=11&archiveYear=2011&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=158&geographicalAreaID=0

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=235&archiveMonth=12&archiveYear=2011&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=158&geographicalAreaID=0

Aloha.

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter has been very windy - today its blown 30 in Kihei but the swell is on at Kanaha with light winds at 15-20. Its been an incredible week of sailable conditions at Kanaha with a good size swell. Unfortunately, since living here over the past couple of years in the winter, February can be iffy for sure. Gear is easy to find here and cheap - but to play it save, I would just bring the 90 FSW unless you are an extremely efficient sailor then I would buy a smaller board when you arrive that will do it all for you. That 90 FSW will get big really quick if there is wind and waves. Also depends on how long you will be hang'n on the Rock to make it a worthwhile choice. Aloha.
oldgrommet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Real World Wave 82 l in excellent condition that I am planning to part with. 2008 . I won't put it on the rail at Kanaha if you're interested. Send me a line on the message center if you want. Can send pics.
rich1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That 90 FSW will get big really quick if there is wind and waves.

I totally agree, still, it does make a pretty good wave board when the conditions are light and small. That being said, last year in early March when the wind started to come back after sailing a (rental) 90 FSW all week, I took out a Quatro 80l twin and absolutely loved it.

Quote:
I have a Real World Wave 82 l in excellent condition that I am planning to part with. 2008

Check the message centre.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still not exactly sure on what to do, but now I'm thinking of bringing my 90l and buying when I get there. Westjet has a pretty nice policy for taking boards, so it is definitely doable if I want the hassle.

Cheers,

Chris
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Maui CL today as there are a bunch of Tabou's for sale. I know you are not ready to buy but the Tabou's are an awesome board with great performance and incredible in all conditions; a great Maui wave board. The Goya Quads are popular at the moment (and losing popularity) they are slow and sluggish but once you catch the wave they perform, however, a Tabou, especially the Pocket, are fast planning, great getting upwind and then on the wave - frick'n awesome! The board does it all. I always say, if you do this with all your heart and soul, it's worth spending a few extra bucks to get great performing gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: