myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Locking pin for sailable SUP?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Locking pin for sailable SUP? Reply with quote

I have a SUP that has two holes where you can screw in a universal, the kind that has one bolt and takes a nut to lock into a mast track. So rather than use the nut, you just screw the uni in sans nut. I'd like to carry it on my car but I'm worried that there is a market for SUP's as opposed to WS boards, so it would be stolen. It's too long to fit in my vehicle. Wondering if anyone has heard of a bolt that you could screw in with a ring on it, then run a chain around your rack.

Steve
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has two threaded holes for the mast foot, then I would just go to the hardware store and buy two steel eyebolts with the same thread as the mast foot bolt (3/8"-16?). Thread the eyebolts into the mast foot inserts and then pass a cable through both eyebolts (this will make it impossible to unscrew the eyebolts) and around the roofrack and lock with a padlock.

The other option would be to use a pair of locking roof rack straps. These are what I use.

http://www.steelcore.net/surf.html

sm
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on the eye bolts, but the threads in the board should be metric (8mm). Even with just one eye bolt it should be rather difficult to spin the board or twist the cable to unscrew it while locked depending on how you thread the cable.
If the board has a regular US fin box, there are also fin box locks you can get.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
Great idea on the eye bolts, but the threads in the board should be metric (8mm).

Not sure, but in either case, you can get metric eyebolts if necessary. Check mcmaster.com.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the old days, I still have one of those lockable two-piece die-cast metal assembly, which upon insertion into the finbox, you can pass through a lockable braided stainless steel cable. The two-piece assembly and the cable were originally sold together. However, with the fin in place (which is required to work), you do need the added finbox space in front of the fin. If the finbox is quite small, like they are on many production boards today, one could always get a high aspect/narrow chord fin to make things work.

I don't know if these assemblies are still sold today, but I would guess so since the demand in the longboard surfing scene is probably still pretty strong, as they still use a standard US box for the center fin on many boards. I haven't used mine for probably 15 years, as I store my boards in a full sized van. If you have trouble finding one, let me know.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.waveequation.com/surfboard_lock.html
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
From the old days, I still have one of those lockable two-piece die-cast metal assembly, which upon insertion into the finbox, you can pass through a lockable braided stainless steel cable. The two-piece assembly and the cable were originally sold together. However, with the fin in place (which is required to work), you do need the added finbox space in front of the fin. If the finbox is quite small, like they are on many production boards today, one could always get a high aspect/narrow chord fin to make things work.

I don't know if these assemblies are still sold today, but I would guess so since the demand in the longboard surfing scene is probably still pretty strong, as they still use a standard US box for the center fin on many boards. I haven't used mine for probably 15 years, as I store my boards in a full sized van. If you have trouble finding one, let me know.

Sorry, but those things are total pot metal. Will shatter with the good strike of a hammer. I should know as I lost one that way. (Don't ask). On the other hand, not every clown willing to steal our stuff knows that, so they do work as a meaningful deterrent.

mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threads should be 8mm with a 1.25mm pitch. Mc Master sells short eyebolts in both 304ss and 316ss. 316 is slightly more corrosion resistant.

Part number for the 316ss is 3130T11 cost is $5.46. You can view them on line at mcmaster.com.

A pair with a cable (or a Kryptonite bike lock) running through both would be very difficult to unscrew.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Dock's Locks:

http://dockslocks.com/

Your SUP probably has a leash plug that you can attach it to or you can use the cleat for the fin box.
norcom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steel cable can be cut with a pair of $2 harbor freight cutters in less than 30 seconds. I've always wondered how easy it would be to cut the cable and tested it on one of my old bike locks. It was a sad moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: