myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
hybrid race board for distance sailing.... RS:X perhaps????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: hybrid race board for distance sailing.... RS:X perhaps???? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a board with some pretty specific performance characteristics:

• formula-like upwind/downwind planing performance (with cheater strap)
• centerboard and good upwind/downwind non-planing performance
• handles HUGE wind range with a given rig, and planes up fairly early

This is NOT for racing, but it really seems like hybrid race boards like the RS:X might just be the best thing out there for achieving these goals. This board will be for venturing far from home where conditions often change dramatically during a long day on the water. Think sailing 20 or 30 miles from home, generally far upwind or down, and needing to get home regardless of what the wind does. So I need to cover as wide a wind range as possible with a given rig, and I need to be able to sail efficient upwind/downwind angles in both planing and non-planing conditions.

My Kona One is my current distance exploring board, and it does cover a pretty astounding wind range, but where it falls short is in upwind/downwind planing ability. It points great with the centerboard down, but in planing conditions it really seems much better tuned for reaching than hammering steep upwind or downwind angles like on a formula board. I do like to take my formula board out in the right conditions too, but I'm always wary of venturing too far from home on it considering what a hog it is to slog home if the wind dies.

Sooooo.... I turn to y'all for advice. Any suggestions for a great board to do what I'm looking for? Any experience specifically with the RS:X to share, or with other hybrid race boards that might be a good fit? Any and all insights are appreciated.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Tinho's new Z2 here, look at post #12: http://www.calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=608
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTRrxuuCxmw
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyson, are you referring to Lake Champlain sailing?
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor or sometimes sailingjoke wrote:
Greyson, are you referring to Lake Champlain sailing?

Brucie, you've dusted off an old alias! Good for you!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever you find such a board Mr Grayson please please let us all know, My needs (Kona 1 current best solution) are as yours.

For what it's worth, a Mistral Prodigy (similar to RSX?) proved not the way to go. It felt to combine the worst of formula and long board, rather than the best. I believe many say the same about RSX?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://life8.co.cc/Exocet-Original/rs380-elite.php#

there's a black and blue hull at:

www.progressivesports.com it's the year prior. dunno the story behind why it's unboxed and standing on its tail in the back warehouse, but it looks mighty fine. i couldn't believe the lightness:

http://www.progressivesports.com/I-52805-Exocet-380-Elite-295.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
antonius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not competing in the RS:X fleet I would stay away from that. I really don't enjoy that board. I would buy a Prodigy before that one.
Tinho's board looks interesting if you do like that wider style. He knows what he's doing.
Have you (or anyone else here - John?) tried putting a much bigger -biggest powerbox you can find- fin on the Kona to improve up-wind planing performance? I've been planning on putting a 48cm fin on the RRD Longrider to test the Loft longboard racing sails but have not gotten around to it yet.

I liked the Exocet Pacer from a few years ago if you can track one of those down. That should have been the Olympic board.
Got a chance to try the Exocet RS380 last year in gusty winds and that thing is a rocket ship in any wind/direction but does not go upwind like a Formula board in planing wind, but what does?

www.velawindsurf.com

Last edited by antonius on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you look at the new Exocet D2...or
the new Starboard Phantom 377

vids here...
http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kona (first batch imported) came with the 40 fin. Changed up to Kona 46 fin after first year. It didn't make a deal of difference to upwind, but the difference in feel was very satisfying. The board felt more balanced, and comfortable, (for me at anyrate. 6'3" and 12 1/2 stone), especially planing normally powered up with favourite twin cam 7.5 sail and on long journeys.

Keenly waiting for chance to try the new div 2 type Exocet, but, to judge from carefully watching the videos, it may prove too technical and tiring for day long cruising in very variable winds and sea states. (Cliffs, headlands, squalls, tide races etc etc, the normal unexpecteds in cruising!)

That's where the Kona works so well. I fear it will be a hard act to better.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, with one caveat: would total doldrums be dangerous, or merely a PITA? i.e., can you get to an inhabited shore in 0.0 knots?

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: