myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Has America reached an "Oh Sh!t" moment?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Has America reached an "Oh Sh!t" moment? Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/10/30/niall-ferguson-how-american-civilization-can-avoid-collapse.html
"What we need to do is to delete the viruses that have crept into our system: the anticompetitive quasi monopolies that blight everything from banking to public education; the politically correct pseudosciences and soft subjects that deflect good students away from hard science; the lobbyists who subvert the rule of law for the sake of the special interests they represent—to say nothing of our crazily dysfunctional system of health care, our overleveraged personal finances, and our newfound unemployment ethic."
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to deflect from a good article, but I wonder if by pseudosciences he meant whatever it was that the wall street masters of the universe studied?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Competition. With China?

2. The Scientific Revolution. Will continue to go wherever the best government, taxation and law is.

3. The Rule of Law and Representative Government. No longer followed. Immigration, marijuana, fast and furious, epa, solyndra. They're making it up as they go, despite congress.

4. Modern Medicine. Obamacare will ration it, therfore no more innovation.

5. The Consumer Society. Still alive and well for the short term thanks to Bernanke. We are spending more than we earn.

6. The Work Ethic. Mostly gone except for immigrants and Neanderthals.

A visionary new leader could turn these things around. Vote for change....
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say capetonian, you picked the transitional paragraph in the commentary. I'll have to digest things a bit further. No doubt though, a lot to consider looking into the future, particularly if we want to continue to be a leader in the world.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote

Quote:
Not to deflect from a good article, but I wonder if by pseudosciences he meant whatever it was that the wall street masters of the universe studied?

I have wondered about "environmental studies". I have a niece and nephew (both bright) who majored in this, rather than in environmental engineering. Both want to contribute to building a sustainable world. Both would be better equipped to do this with an engineering degree.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard wrote

Quote:
2. The Scientific Revolution. Will continue to go wherever the best government, taxation and law is.

BS...science will go where the best education is. Note to Republicans...FUND SCIENCE.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:

Hey, be careful, my daughter worked for a hedge fund, and is now an investment banker in SF. She studied economics. Most have law degrees or MBA's.

She is already known as honorable, and straightforward. They are not given enough ethics courses in business school though. I think the 1st thing they should learn in school is public service, morality, compassion, and philosophy. Then how to lead with distinction.

Most of them are just little men with too much power, and should have been squashed in 08. There would have been so much opportunity then. Rolling Eyes
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders whether Boggsman and your daughter might meet in a business scenario in the future given their career interests in finance and investment.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Stevenbard wrote

Quote:

BS...science will go where the best education is. Note to Republicans...FUND SCIENCE.

Not true cool. Don't you think the best schools are where the best govt, taxation and law is? But really the best science flows to where the money is after college. I didn't say it wasn't us, or couldn't be us.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
One wonders whether Boggsman and your daughter might meet in a business scenario in the future given their career interests in finance and investment.

She's a maneater baby... (song) but really, I meet her often at His Lordships in the late afternoon, so I can get a sail in when I'm in town. I often wonder if I just sprayed Boggs down with one of my Gybes. I'm a little worried that he might slap me or pick my pocket, so I lay low, as he has a gang of leftys ready to set fire to my gear. And besides, "he doesn't take small clients like me on"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: