myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NNE at Sherman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: NNE at Sherman Reply with quote

Warm temperatures and northerly wind forecast for Wednesday and Thursday are great opportunity for nice session or two at this time of year, that's for sure. But how is NNE wind at Sherman Island? Or, is there better place to go for northerlies?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman would have the backwash bump, in NNE winds, so doable in the middle of the river, but bump and backwash near shore, and gusty near the Rio side.
Most went to WindyCove, but access maybe an issue.
Maybe look back towards the past, at GlassBeach area? SandyBeach if you can pay?
Usually, Rancho is good, as is Folsom. Commanche can be light, as it's up a bit, and side off.
Jalan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanching next to the bridge just down stream of Windy Cove is not bad. About a 30 yard swim or wade to the wind line. I have had some great N wind + flood current sessions in this part of the river. But, it can be lonely.
jjstien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time of year I have to remind myself that The Access is crazy on strong northerlies. The wind gets very turbulent after coming off the hills and the wind effect on water running perpendicular to the currents gets the sea state nuts too. Enough injury and broken gear have finally stuck...

If you have to have a session try Pt Isabel or Emeryville.
afolander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launching from the Access on N wind, the wind direction and ramps get more favorable if you sail out at least a 1/4" mile SW towards the islands where the water gets shallow. Very Happy
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Sac, you can sail at the port (Lake Washington). It is pretty gusty but I've had a couple decent sessions there. Today looks like it would be good!
maui95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashby Beach in Berkeley can be good on strong North wind; probably the best option in the Bay.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going from memory a few years back, the hardest thing was he launch, we sailed from powerlines, once underway it was fine, the wind coming over the hills to the north gets all twisted up, like sailing in a blender......

Windy Cove would be a better spot, but the only access I believe is there is near the bridge, as already mentioned. The park I think is fenced off now.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
tramontana00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the good info. Sailed at Sherman Island last Saturday, December 3rd, from 2:00pm to 4:30pm. There was 10 windsurfers and one kiter. Wind was North 15-20 knots gusting to 25 knots to start with and slowly dying down. It was bumpy in the beginning and than it flatten out for last hour or so. No problems with launching or anything else. Even did few flat water speed runs on the north side of the river. Water was shallow there and my fin took some beating. Sailed on 105 liter slalom board and 7.0 race sail. I wouldn't mind few more sessions there on northerly Smile .

Sherman.jpg
 Description:
gps
 Filesize:  129.66 KB
 Viewed:  19995 Time(s)

Sherman.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: