myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hoping to move to Maui! Need Advice... Board size?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Hoping to move to Maui! Need Advice... Board size? Reply with quote

So I don't officially have the job yet but I'm hoping to land a job on Maui soon and if it all works out I'll be moving there for at least a year. I know a good way to go is to buy a board once I get there but I have so many boards here in the gorge that I love and am thinking about bring one. I am definately bringing all my masts (they're so expensive) and sails and my boom so that means I will already have one large oversized bad to bring and if I bring the board that will be 2 oversized bags. Wondering if Hawaiian Airlines even lets you bring 2 oversized bags? Their website was not clear.

As far as board choices I have a 62L, 70L, 74L (which is an awesome board I might be purchasing soon from a friend), and a 79L. I am a female sailor, 120 lbs, and am new to waves so will be at Kahana mainly trying to work my way up to the bigger stuff. I'm a decent Gorge sailor but that might not mean much when it comes to sailing waves.

I hear it's not very windy in the winter and am thinking about bring the 79L for float.

Appreciate any advice about all things Maui related. Mahalo
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting a moving company or a container to move your furniture,
why not put the boards and equip in there too.
It's a major PITA to take boards on the plane or even get them to the airport, on a shuttle or carry them up to the ticket counter (they won't take it curbside). Most airlines will let you take a windsurfing "kit". Which is ONE board, ONE mast, ONE boom and ONE sail. Although you can roll 2 or 3 small sails together and they wouldn't notice. Check the airline's website for "contract of carrage" for the rules.

As for boards, I would take one higher wind and one light wind. You can probably sail one high wind board every day in the summer.
I'm 200lbs and almost always on a 5.0 sail/90L board in summer (not sure what that transulates to your weight maybe 3.5-4.0/70L). Not much waves in summer. In the winter the wind is more variable (and waves too), it's either full-on trades (like summer) or light wind 6.0-7.0+ for me or no wind, maybe 1/3 each, more or less depending on the month and weather pattern.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wetsuit needed in Hawaii, so you can easily uphaul your 70 with a 5.3 meter sail. You should be able to uphaul your 62 with little effort, also with a 5 meter sail.
You can find a sub $100 floater wave board easily there, with one trip thru the shops.
Nothing is worst than having tons of gear for the lousy days, but no gear when the wind and waves are perfect.
You can always borrow bigger gear from the millions of guys who windsurf there, but few girls would lend you their best small board.
Good luck, live the dream, you can always waitress.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
No wetsuit needed in Hawaii.

Many folks wear a shorty wetsuit in the winter, when the water and air are cooler. I do, the windchill makes me cold. Believe it or not, you can get hypothermic with a long swim even in 75 deg water.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Oahu from Nov thru Feb maybe 10 trips of over 3 weeks each.
Water temps in the mid '70's, air in the higher 70's on the coldest days. I've surfed and windsurfed in trunks when the Hawaiins wore fulll wetsuits during rain storms with +30 winds.
I"m a fatty at 5'11" and 145 lbs., so I have more than adaquate insulation against the cold. Here in Berkeley, I need BOOTS to keep my wimpy feet warm.
I have a very advanced female friend, 5'8" and 123 lbs., who uphauls her 62 liter Naish Pro Wave at ShermanIsland...fresh water there like the Gorge. Heck, I'm 62, and can uphaul my 80liter boards wearing a full suit and booties. Work out the math.
Sunny15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm not using a moving company and I only need to get my windsurfing gear there so it would be nice to be able to do it all in one shot (take it all with me on the plane). I'm now thinking about dong two board bags and between the 2 I should be able to fit my 3 masts, 5 sails, and 1 boom, plus extensions... that might work.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just received a new custom-painted Hi-Tech wave board from Maui the day before I flew out there for a vacation. I left it at home, knowing I could rent the same board out there. I rented it out there, HATED it, and asked whether I could ship mine back for a refund or at least a swap.

The Hi-Tech guy laughed and said, "Sure, but you won't want to. Our mainland and Maui boards of exactly the same model are very different shapes. Boards that work great for B&J are too fast and not turny enough for Maui." That was ages ago, and maybe Maui and mainland shapes have merged since then, but the conditions haven't changed. It's worth thinking about.

I'd also hate to subject my nice pampered fresh water sails to all that sand and abrasive salt.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwinkt wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm not using a moving company and I only need to get my windsurfing gear there so it would be nice to be able to do it all in one shot (take it all with me on the plane). I'm now thinking about dong two board bags and between the 2 I should be able to fit my 3 masts, 5 sails, and 1 boom, plus extensions... that might work.

That's going to be quite a load to haul. I just took 1 board and rig in 2 bags and it was the quite the hassle.
I agree with Zirt, one 70L board and 2 sails should be good for most days.
You had better call the airline to see what you CAN take. Otherwise you might be using some interesting language when the ticket agent says "Sorry, you can't take all this stuff on the plane" (2 hours before your flight!). Then have to pay storage fees (IF they will store it) or miss your flight. Seriously concider shipping it on a boat, It might even be less money, then you can take your other possesions too.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwinkt,

I'm a regular Kanaha sailor, female, 125 lb. I use 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0, with 69, 74, and 83 liter boards. I use the 69 most overall, but in winter the 83 is the go-to board.

Karen B
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Karen B. on board and sail size, not the old fat guys. She knows.

Some days it's 15 at Kanaha and some days it's 35. One board is not enough.

As of July United still defined a "windsurf kit" as up to four bags holding multiple boards, sails, masts and booms. I go every year and take two boards, 3-4 sails, 2 booms and 3 masts. $100 each way. As small as your boards are, you can remove the straps and pack 3 in a double board bag.

Good luck and have fun.

--chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: