myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hoping to move to Maui! Need Advice... Board size?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I inquired about shipping a cooler-sized 5-pound box by boat from Maui to the mainland the cost was scores of dollars and the delivery time was over a month. Have ships gotten any faster or cheaper?

Mike \m/
Sunny15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:
I go every year and take two boards, 3-4 sails, 2 booms and 3 masts. $100 each way. As small as your boards are, you can remove the straps and pack 3 in a double board bag.

Thanks cbknap. So do you get all that gear into one board bag? Is it a coffin bag? Those things are huge! Or maybe a double walled board bag? Thanks
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:
Listen to Karen B. on board and sail size, not the old fat guys. She knows.

Some days it's 15 at Kanaha and some days it's 35. One board is not enough.

As of July United still defined a "windsurf kit" as up to four bags holding multiple boards, sails, masts and booms. I go every year and take two boards, 3-4 sails, 2 booms and 3 masts. $100 each way. As small as your boards are, you can remove the straps and pack 3 in a double board bag.

Good luck and have fun.

--chris

Chris,
United's website (as of today) says a windsurf kit is: ONE (each) board, mast, sail, boom and max weight 70lbs. I checked Hawaiian Air, same limitations. How do you get around that?
Bribe the ticket agent? Is that equipment for 2 passengers?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One board, 3 sails with battens removed and sails wrapped around the board, a skinny, boom taken apart, and base with fin, well padded with bubble pack inside a real single board bag usually weighs right around 70 lbs., with your swimming suit, harness, and some towels.
You can drag 70 lbs, so it's considered ONE board, pack it so it has rope handles for the luggage gorillas.
You can always borrow a bigger board from some big lug at the beach, but nobody has a small board you can ride on the good days.
If you need to sail in 15 mph, then you'd need a 85 liter slalom board and a 6 meter sail, so don't worry about those breezes.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="zwinktThanks cbknap. So do you get all that gear into one board bag? Is it a coffin bag? Those things are huge! Or maybe a double walled board bag? Thanks[/quote]

Here is a video of his gear bag in use.
http://www.thebagster.com/

Mike \m/
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fly Alaska, it costs $50. Size-wise I think a lot of women use high 60s to mid 70 ltr boards. If you're pretty confident bring something in the 70ltr range. Also, buying boards there isn't too expensive, you can get a great condition board from the previous year for about $600 and probably even less. I would bring masts booms and extensions, maybe a sail and leave the rest at home.
Sunny15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol isobars. I super stoked on all the advice everyone has given me. I like the idea about bring the smaller sized board and finding myself a nice 80 L when I get there.

I'm still want to find a way to bring all 3 masts and if the airlines define a "kit" as 1 mast... then I'm not sure how to work it. I have been thinking about not bring a board at all but instead using my board bag for everything but the board... 3 masts (they're all skinny), 5 sails, boom, and then use the extra room for clothes and whatever. I feel that I'm over-thinking this but I don't want to end up being turned away once I'm checking in my bags. Dakine makes a gear bag that fits 3 masts, 4-5 sails, and 1 boom. It's nice and has wheels. If they make this bag then it's got to be ok to fly with (that's the whole point right?).

I know I could just package and ship my masts using UPS or Fed-EX. But I can't do that until after I get there and find a place to live with an address to ship to, but that's still an option.
Sunny15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the typos. I need to learn to proof read.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. The same deal is still there on United Airlines Special Items but now its listed as being for kiteboards:

Allowance/requirements
Kite board components are generally packed in separate bags. United will accept a maximum of one set of four component bags.

Maximum weight/size
Total weight of four component bags cannot exceed 110 pounds (49.94 kg). No one piece of equipment can weigh more than 100 pounds (45.4 kg).
(23 kg/158 linear cm)

Maximum length
109 inches (277 cm)

Other information
Allow an extra 30 minutes at check-in.

Cannot be accommodated on Airbus A320 or Airbus A319 aircraft.

It's still $100 as long as your "Kiteboard set" doesn't exceed the weight limits. (Or if you charm them and they don't weigh it.)

Zwinkt: I use a wheeled DaKine double board bag, a wheeled DaKine quiver bag that holds three sails and masts, and a padded boom bag. I've never been weighed flying LAX to Maui. Coming back I've gotten weighed almost every time ($$$).

Last edited by cbknap on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shipped for years before we bought a house here.Just give them your hotel address and tell em you are expecting it. Everywhere was happy to hold our gear for us and not surprised. Maui is like that.
It is easier to move around with your gear in a minivan. You need not carry it in at night it can just live there. Pick up or car not as good.
w also have picked up our gear at the Fedex or DHL with no Maui address or a contrived one. They hold it for you and call your number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: