myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
and you thought windsurfing is tough!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: and you thought windsurfing is tough! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL0rbxB9Lqg
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible skills but-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311540/Agony-bike-daredevil-Internet-stunt-sensation-barely-able-walk-series-injuries.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That guy is in a class all by himself. Great video work too. Totally awesome stuff.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why not? The taxpayers pay all his medical bills.

Oh, HERE'S why: For 15 minutes of fame and derision, the idiot will be crippled for life. There are safer ways to cut loose; water vs concrete comes to mind.

And come to think of it, he's a piker compared to the carnage some of his competition incur.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of extreme sports is reaching a point of insanity, and Red Bull seems to relish the thought of signing death certificates. The underlying insanity of this video puzzles me at the selfishness of the act of even competing given the potential consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv_DRJZZ2qI

Incredible to watch and admire the skills, but where do you draw the line as a promoter and sponsor of such madness?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the insanity of what they're doing is their lack of protective gear. When I rode and raced desert bikes in country like that, it took me the better part of an hour just to get dressed. I had more speed, but I wasn't freefalling 70-something feet.

The most puzzling part of it to me is how they know they aren't going to come up 2 feet too short in ramp-to-ramp jumps across canyons. At least Kneivel had a speedometer, a throttle, and mathematicians plotting his trajectories; these idiots have none of that and usually no way to bail or stop once gravity takes over.

I can only conclude that they simply don't care if they get crippled for life.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny MacAskill is an awesome rider, yah he's had some injuries, who hasn't? Not me, windsurfing has taken a toll on my body, but every scar and every dollar spent on my own repairs have been totally worth it. Would I do it all over again? Fu(k yeah! Iso and NP, I'm sure you're the same, maybe you can consider that when talking about Danny who enjoys what he does as much, if not more, than we do.

This is my favorite vid of Danny's, great photography, editing, scenery, riding, and awesome music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw&list=PLcqcEs2DnmCjkp72Gu_P3rK-NV0sywKwH&index=3
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Iso and NP, I'm sure you're the same, maybe you can consider that when talking about Danny who enjoys what he does as much, if not more, than we do.

True that....I could have easily checked out in 2005 when I fractured spiral fractured my ankle windsurfing in our cold October conditions. I would gladly take dying windsurfing over some of the horrible ways I've watched friends had their lives cut short. I've had my share of broken bones -8- and sprains and strains....all paid for by tax payers, as Isobars put it. BTW, I've never been hurt doing crazy off the wall stuff. It was always the most mundane times doing what I've done countless times before. You can wear all the protective gear in the world, it still isn't any guarantee.

I've come to appreciate that many of the videos will now have a "bloopers" reel so that there is an element of "don't try this at home kids"

I've always like this video the most of Danny's skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP wrote:
You can wear all the protective gear in the world, it still isn't any guarantee.

No, but it absolutely helps. I've calculated that I crashed my dirt bikes between 5,000 and 10,000 times without ever losing any time off from work. Pain, crutches, slings ... sure ... but nothing bad enough to miss work over. The one exception was a snowmobile crash which broke my back and put me in bed for a month to prevent further injury. Even then, I worked very productively from bed, and would have been injured much worse if I hadn't just made two highly protective modifications to the sled. I also very deliberately held and hold myself back on bikes and sleds and WSers to greatly reduce my odds of injury; I see just the opposite in these guys.

No one's putting down these guys' awesome skills or bravery. It's their total disregard for the near-certainty of lifelong injuries and unwillingness to wear protective gear that I consider stupid. I amassed the most points in my desert racing division by finishing every 100-150 race in the top 10-15 spots, not by winning some races and breaking femurs and pelvises in others. I rode harder on my weekend playrides than I did in those races, because we didn't have to finish the playrides. Even then, I deliberately avoided the (usually) death-defying stuff these guys and the MX backloopers do. Some of those guys' crippling injury tallies run into the dozens.

Don't even get me started on the urban skateboarders we see on shows like "They Should Be Dead" and "Their Parents Should Be Arrested For Child Abuse".

It's easy for you and me to say we'd do it all over again, as we know the outcome. The only outcome these guys KNOW is that they WILL incur a life of pain and disability. The primary question is how bad theirs will be. I'm glad my knee injury happened at this late stage, as an ACL rupture virtually guarantees bad knee arthritis within a decade, and they still have no preventative or cure for it. Besides, my previous and subsequent hundreds of thousands -- literally -- of WSing jumps never hurt at all. I still consider that one an operator error fluke, not an expected outcome. Even then, I have the sense not to get that high again.

Would you want to put those tears of fear and horrified look in your pregnant girlfriend's eyes?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through NP's earlier Daily Mail link, I saw NW30's link, to include another video at a railroad site. Having never known anything about Danny MacAskill, I was totally amazed by his huge talent.

Where MacAskill goes way beyond the Rampage scene, is that he's not a competitor, but rather, an artist. His work was crafted and engineered to stand out. I like that, because his talent goes beyond competitive stunts, and it takes off and excels with the very sophisticated production work and the music tracks used in the videos. No doubt, lots of bucks involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: