myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Has America abandoned capitalism?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder about what Phil (OP) says in his post, capitalism being able to heal itself over time. So what's it gonna take for that to happen?
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Ann Coulter, and thought, what kind of balance and focus can she offer. Working on extremes is hardly credible in my view.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflecting on capetonian's thoughts, to include the details presented in the links that he posted, in many ways I'm not savvy enough to leverage off the esoteric financial evaluations and outlook. Nonetheless, there is little question that we need to re-look and reconsider the direction we've been heading in for some time. I wonder though, whether given the divisive nature of politics and commentary present on a national scale today, if a reasonable balance can be in the mix. The angst and dialog from the right is saying no, and again no. The promises to Grover Norquist so readily presents their complete lack of cooperation and ability to negotiate in good faith. How closed can folks be to anything other then their mantra? Unbelievably, it sounds more like the thought of radical Islamics to me.

You know, that's a sad state of affairs. To be clear though, the right isn't cooperating. The situation has been decidedly exacerbated by core parts of the Republican party these days. Republicans have been overcome by those at the extreme. There's little doubt that having a black guy as president is under their skin, and it's visibly twisting their goals and strageties, as seen in the concerted actions and dialog against him. One only has to look at the Republican contenders for the 2012 presidential election to see what being offered. Hardly something to be proud of.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"easiest way to level the playing field would be to reduce regulations for the small employer. There would be a boom bigger than the 80's'..."

I am a small business owner and am ready for that.Which regs can we change to cause this to happen?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
"easiest way to level the playing field would be to reduce regulations for the small employer. There would be a boom bigger than the 80's'..."

I am a small business owner and am ready for that.Which regs can we change to cause this to happen?

There are tens of thousands of regs. It depends on your business.
Biggest beef I have is if you follow the spirit of a reg, but don't do the paperwork, you lose. Congress is talking about tearing up all regs that have an aggregate cost to business of over $100 million. Congress would take responsibility for implementing rules and regs for anything above that $100 million.

It only makes sense not to have bureaucrats make rules that only benefit their ever growing bureaucracy. ie, we've just implemented a thousand new rules, so we need a thousand new bureaucrats to monitor them, all without the consent of congress.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I saw Ann Coulter, and thought, what kind of balance and focus can she offer. Working on extremes is hardly credible in my view.

Why don't you read the book before you knock it? As for republicans hating a black prez, at this time a black man is the leading contender for the Republican nomination. How do you square that?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about Herman Cain? Cain's tax proposals aren't credible in my view.

You live in California, so you know what kind of sales taxes we pay here. Think about buying a new car, and how much that would cost in just taxes under both Cain's plan and California's existing sale tax, not to mention the yearly vehicle registration costs. You might be wealthy enough not to care, but one has to ask what does the struggling middle class think about that.

Cain doesn't give a crap about the average middle class person or family, and his tax proposals reflect that. He's a tool for the filthy rich. You might revel in his plans, but I don't. His plans don't even begin to address the growing disparities between the very rich and everyone else. His blackness doesn't hide where his real interests lie.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
..Cain doesn't give a crap about the average middle class person or family, and his tax proposals reflect that. He's a tool for the filthy rich. You might revel in his plans, but I don't. His plans don't even begin to address the growing disparities between the very rich and everyone else. His blackness doesn't hide where his real interests lie.

SW, I gave Cain some consideration and browsed his website for more info about his platform. After reviewing it I came to the same conclusion.

I like his personality, just not his politics.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I believe Cain to be an honest capitalist rather that a dishonest marxist. While I'm not sure about him politically, I believe his national sales tax only shows Americans every day how much they pay for their govt. In addition it taxes the rich consumers when they buy a Rolls Royce instead of a prius. We all pay hidden taxes in our products every day already.
There will be exemptions for the poor. Essentially a flat tax helps shut the need for lobbyists. How could that hurt?
mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary effect of Cain's proposal is to shift the tax burden even more from the rich to the poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: