myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Selling on Craigslist: Does this happen to you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been selling used windsurf stuff on Craiglist maybe 10-15 times in the past 3 years. It worked like a charm every time - not only did I sell my old stuff, but I usually found a buyer for whom the gear I sold was just right. I usually sell cheaper than comparable prices on iWindsurf ads, and I list a bit higher than my minimum price so that buyers can haggle a bit (10-20%). Keeps everyone happy.

Of course, you can get some responses or follow-up emails that are best just ignored - like those that come in with lowball bids (when you are selling something at very low prices, you will be attracting more bottom feeders). But out 5 or so responses, there's usually a sale with a happy buyer and seller. Just include the facts and pictures in your ad, and omit the hype.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister told me that most of the buyers on CL go there looking for a steal or at least a deal. Like it has been posted, a lot of sellers are looking to empty out their garages, etc. With people like Isobars lurking around, you have to very careful if you don't want to lose your shirt in this society. A basic rule in selling used goods (and I have sold tons of sporting goods in my life) would be to set a high price and then be willing to barter. Whatever you do, don't let the buyers know that you will sell for the best offer. In addition you may think selling on the classifieds here gives you a better clientel, but I have come across some really cheap creeps who just want to waste your time.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
My sister told me that most of the buyers on CL go there looking for a steal or at least a deal. Like it has been posted, a lot of sellers are looking to empty out their garages, etc. With people like Isobars lurking around, you have to very careful if you don't want to lose your shirt in this society. A basic rule in selling used goods (and I have sold tons of sporting goods in my life) would be to set a high price and then be willing to barter. Whatever you do, don't let the buyers know that you will sell for the best offer. In addition you may think selling on the classifieds here gives you a better clientel, but I have come across some really cheap creeps who just want to waste your time.

"...but I have come across some really cheap creeps who just want to waste your time..."

Phil Mann had the same problem with an obnoxious big guy from Waquoit.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
1. With people like Isobars lurking around, you have to very careful if you don't want to lose your shirt in this society.

2. A basic rule in selling used goods (and I have sold tons of sporting goods in my life) would be to set a high price and then be willing to barter. Whatever you do, don't let the buyers know that you will sell for the best offer.

1. Oh, yeah ... them nasty ol' capitalists who believe in an open market are a real threat, aren't they?

2. Other options include:
• If you're in no hurry, set an optimistic but fair and realistic price and wait ... 'til noon, 'til the next swap meet, or until the next season starts and buyers get the fever.
• Buy WSing gear in the fall and sell what it replaced in the spring.
• Decide in advance which swap meet items you will sell only for a good price vs those you will virtually or literally give away by noon (or put in a consignment shop) rather than continue to haul around and store. Those get an OBO tag by mid-AM and a FREE sign by noon. Treat buyers like adults and they'll watch for more of your stuff next time.
• PUT SOME DANGED INFORMATION ON YOUR STUFF. Anything buyers want to know, including at least asking price, model year, magazine performance reviews, your own performance assessment, useage history including repairs and/or present infirmities (be honest and they will return for more), board weight, why you're selling it ... all the usual buyers' questions ... should be clearly posted on items worth much money.
• If you need meds to behave like a human being, be sure to take them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: