myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leaking foot strap screw holes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicotine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Leaking foot strap screw holes? Reply with quote

Just swapped boards with a bud. I received an older Seatrend Accelerator, 89 ltrs, that had been sitting in his rafters. Not sure when the last time it has been ridden. Planning to put my own straps on, I went to measure the depth of the screw holes only to discover water in each screw hole. Additionally, when pushing into the holes each one felt spongy, like there wasn't a barrier keeping water from the core of the board. I did not continue to push so as to rupture any barrier that is possibly there? The board is super light shows no sign of softening anywhere. My question...is that the nature of the older Seatrends'? Is this normal? The board was being stored flat, right side up and may have been put away wet. Thanks for any help with this. Pete
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck on the holes to see if you bring any water out of the core.If you do turn it over and put a black cloth or plastic on it in the sun for a few days.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately many peps don't take care about the size of the screws they use for footstraps. Older boards came with smaller screws than those that are provided with modern straps. A previous owner must have used ones that were too large. Once you dry it out you should epoxy the holes and then insert new screws. Pick your straps carefully because you shouldn't try and change them after that.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always check screw hole depth before changing screws, straps, or washers. I'm always grinding tips off SS footstrap screws to get maximum bite w/o splitting inserts.

Last time I got a board with the problems yours has, I pumped air into the vent hole (with an aquarium pump) and out the screw holes for months in the desert sun, sealed them with RTV (it's adequate, but not great because it bubbles), rode the board a few times to see whether I wanted to find an intact one like it, and sold it with full disclosure. A good deal was had by all.

Mike \m/
Nicotine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found on rafters dead. a new acronym for ford. sounds that way to me. turn it upside down in your rafters without the foot straps and drain plug for a few more months. may want to stick some paper towels in the holes to see if that will speed wicking the moisture out of the core.

had use of a prototype years ago that was "cutting edge." each of the screw holes leaked. after 10-12 uses, the board became obviously way heavier. when i turned it back in, i left it standing on its tail for about 20 minutes before exiting past it. there was a very large puddle underneath. practically gushing, it was.... total write off.

using an air pump with lots of power is dangerous. www.boardlady.com

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

Absolutely! Even one half of one PSI of internal pressure creates literally one ton of delaminating force on a board. That's why, in the much longer thread on this topic we discussed using a small-volume aquarium pump AND making sure the air being pumped in is exiting successfully. You want free flow, not pressure. If in doubt, blow some air in and look for water to flow or bubble out gently somewhere else. If only one screw hole is leaking air and/or water, I'd think three times about using a pressure pump vs a vacuum pump. But if the OP has a split footstrap screw insert, he's likely to have plenty of exhaust volume for a small air pump, and aquarium pumps cost <$10.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jingebritsen wrote:

You want free flow, not pressure.
Quite honestly, I'ld like to see a board blow up. If it's a total write off, why not use a serious pump and watch what happens from a distance? Shocked
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea! If I thought it would do anything dramatic ... more than simply splitting open somewhere ... it would be worth the effort.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have trouble getting your footstrap screws to bite, due to over-use or whatever, go FATTER, not longer. Footstrap screws are usually #10 or #12 screws, go to a good hardware or marine supply store and get the same length, next size up.

Use the right size screwdriver, too! Most footstrap screws are a #3 phillips, Home Depot's "Husky" brand is pretty good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: