myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
World Population Growth.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: World Population Growth. Reply with quote

In case anybody missed it, .... The worlds growth in population is expected to reach 7 billion by October 31. It is then expected to double that figure by the end of the century!

United Nations demographers are stunned. The figure was only 6 billion as recently as 1999. By 2050 an estimated 2.3 billion more people will be added. (Nearly as many as inhabited the planet in 1950.)

The increase is occuring in Africa and Asia, which are in a period of high birth rates.

For comparison, world population was probably around a mere 200 million in A.D. 600, and the single billion figure wasn't reached until the early 1800's.

Quote U.N. .... 'If we do not volutarily stabilise population we risk an end to growth (in a dangerous and unpleasant way they mean) as the ongoing destruction of the Earths natural systems catches up with us!'

The understatement of the century, me thinks!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the solution was at hand, given all the hoopla about global warming.

Which reminds me of one solution to several other problems, including prison overcrowding, gun proliferation, high violent crime rates, incarceration costs, and death penalty cost, and public whining over the death penalty: Give every inmate in our high-security prisons the firearm of his choice, chosen from all surrendered and captured guns. Bazookas and RPGs off limits because they might breach prison walls. Last man standing gets title to the place, any food he can find, and the next-to-last man standing. The only thing they cannot have is the key to the front door. Once a week the front door is opened briefly to admit the next wave of dangerous criminals, all fully armed, of course. If those newcomers include a few of the third world's dictators and warlords, maybe it might even have an impact on the thread's topic.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah MIke, if only. We used to send all ours to Australia! (Out of sight, out of mind!)

I think it most likely though that germ warfare, or meddling with genetics, will be our downfall eventually. I landed on a deserted island in Scotland in the 80's, unaware that it had been used for germ warfare experiments in the early 1950's. We just don't know what the buggers are up to! Evil or Very Mad

The consolation for us is that you and I will no longer be slashing gybes in 20 years time. Meanwhile, just had a brilliant blasting session this afternoon in an flat sea offshore gale. You sure cover some miles at full belt! Razz

Last edited by GURGLETROUSERS on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GT for introducing a bit of reality that many don't consider to be a leading issue today. When one reflects on the rapid population growth that has occurred in Mexico and Central America in recent years, it leaves little doubt why we've seen such a substantial growth of illegal immigration over the last 30-35 years.

It's my understanding that the growth of population in the Middle East and other Islamic nations is having a similar affect in European nations. Many in third world environments see the greater opportunity in areas of wealth in the world. Given the numbers and the flow, our culture and environment are being altered, or at least influenced, by what's happening.

I share your concern.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry I'm joking about it Swchandler, but when you feel powerless you are left with little option.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: World Population Growth. Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
In case anybody missed it, .... The worlds growth in population is expected to reach 7 billion by October 31. It is then expected to double that figure by the end of the century!

United Nations demographers are stunned. The figure was only 6 billion as recently as 1999. By 2050 an estimated 2.3 billion more people will be added. (Nearly as many as inhabited the planet in 1950.)

The increase is occuring in Africa and Asia, which are in a period of high birth rates.

Let's see...............

With a little cleverness we can twist and distort this to make it all Obama's fault, even that growth spurt back in '99.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno, I think that you're missing GT's drift here on this subject. I see no
Obama statement at all.
joew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of depressing when you think that major advaces in crop yields and crop disease prevention are negated by explosive population growth. hard to believe that the Catholic church still will not condone birth control as the earth reels from overpopulation. The future of planet earth looks something like Haiti today, deforested, polluted, disease ridden, and sinking into a quagmire of effluent. Bring on the four horseman of the apocolypse.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
pueno, I think that you're missing GT's drift here on this subject. I see no
Obama statement at all.

But can't we still blame it all on Obama? If not, then can we blame it all on Bush? Wink

joew wrote:
Kind of depressing when you think that major advaces in crop yields and crop disease prevention are negated by explosive population growth. hard to believe that the Catholic church still will not condone birth control as the earth reels from overpopulation. The future of planet earth looks something like Haiti today, deforested, polluted, disease ridden, and sinking into a quagmire of effluent. Bring on the four horseman of the apocolypse.

And outlawing abortions is sure to help the overpopulation problem.
allen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joew wrote:

The Catholic Church hurts the BC option as does the GOP's recent attempts to decimate Planned Parenthood. First thing a new Republican president will do is cut aid to PP abroad, just as W did upon his entry into office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: