myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter/spring gear for the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ... even the GoreTex suits look damp under the harness where mechanical forces helps push some moisture into the fabric, but I LOVE the way moisture from sweat or a "seal shot" LEAVES the suit during a session, even if I spend a lot of time in the water. Moisture is driven through Goretex by temperature gradient, not humidity gradient, so even when bobbing in the water moisture is being driven out of the suit.

If Weiss -- a lawyer, not an engineer, and not a GoreTex suit owner (as of the last time he contradicted the Kokatat website technical section) like so many of us -- insists again that I'm making this up, tell him to back it up. My source is Goretex fabric and Kokatat suit professionals and many happy owners. I've snorkeled in mine and dried out in the process. That makes a huge difference in comfort on the water and especially on land, very noticeable to people like myself and others who have bought and returned the non-Goretex suits.
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last winter I used the DaKine board shorts over the drysuit. Because the contact surface is smaller, it minimizes that issue (which has never actually bothered me) -- and also offers additional protection for the Goretex fabric itself.
jota

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Chaco has a job.

If you can get some time off, Baja doesn't cost very much. If you can drive and camp at the campground, gas will be your biggest expense. Rent, food and beer are very reasonable. But you should be able to stay there a couple of weeks to justify the eight days of drive time.

You should be able to find flights for the same price as gas money, saving you lots of time and justifying a shorter stay - 10 days off work and you're good - but then you need to figure out lodging and gear.

As for gear - not to hijack the thread (wait for it . . . ) - if you kite you can easily carry all your gear on the plane and get more time on the water as well. (And hang with guys and girls who aren't collecting social security.) But I know you're on the windsurfing learning track so I don't mean to sway you.

For the record, I'm still loving windsurfing too! But I settle for skiing here and try to stay sane with a sunny Baja fix every winter (and yes I kite there).
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goretex sounds nice, maybe someday in the future when I dont have to sell my car to get it Laughing

Ive thought about double suiting, Ive heard from some that it doesnt work and some say it does. Ill put them both on today and see if I can still move around.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still look at the non-gortex alternatives if you can't afford the 'real stuff'. Sailing in a nylon shell with fleece undergarmets beats the HELL out of sailing in a thick wetsuit. Far more comfortable and you aren't fighting the thick neoprene when you move your arms. And quite warm. But it won't breathe as good as Gortex. That is why Gortex is the best. BUT it is still a good alternative if you can't afford Gortex. $500 (and probably less if you find it on sale) isn't that much more than a good quality thick wetsuit....
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the double, not bad at all. A bit harder to move obviously, but not really a big difference as compared to a thick suit. Hopefully the insulation is decent too. Just need some gloves and a hood and im in business. I might pick up some five toe socks made for the five finger shoes too to wear under my booties. And maybe pick up some of these guys when I can afford it : http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Flow-Mens.htm
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up 5mm dive booties for $25 and a cheap 7/5 or a 6/5/4 with hood for $150 amazon or ebay (henderson or neosport) gloves on your own I don't use them (well maybe a short while at times). Although I am not as hard core as some because I don't get the days off for work anymore, I still sail through the winter as time (and wind) permits. I hate the full hood. bennie still works.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Pick up 5mm dive booties for $25 and a cheap 7/5 or a 6/5/4 with hood for $150 amazon or ebay (henderson or neosport) gloves on your own I don't use them (well maybe a short while at times). Although I am not as hard core as some because I don't get the days off for work anymore, I still sail through the winter as time (and wind) permits. I hate the full hood. bennie still works.

Hmm.. there is a 7/5 for $120 on amazon. Ill see how far my double wetsuits with my 2mm booties (+ hood and glove) gets me for now, but that 7/5 looks good...
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:

Hmm.. there is a 7/5 for $120 on amazon. Ill see how far my double wetsuits with my 2mm booties (+ hood and glove) gets me for now, but that 7/5 looks good...

http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Premium-Neoprene-XXX-Large/dp/B001TI941I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318562257&sr=8-4

can still get it fairly cheap....this guy is a bit guy though.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think winter sailing is a very good idea for a Gorge sailor with limited skills. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: