myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Islam and Al Queda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that I find to be the big flaw in the Muslim faith-a lack of tolerance for other faiths. I think those who don't integrate are more conservative than others in nearly all faiths, though I don't see an exact reason for it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a degree of goofiness, regardless of faith?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC and Gurgle Trousers asked a very smart question--what is it about conservatives, in various countries and religions, that make them tend to be intolerant? It's kind of funny to google this question looking for research, because the first thing that you find is always conservative sites insulting not merely liberals, but anyone that isn't as reactionary as they are. But there has been some serious research done that shows that fundamental differences in world view are at work. This article is a pretty good, and non-offensive, review of the differences and what is healthy underlying both attitudes. Much of the most fundamental difference boils down to substantial differences in attitude towards authority, and hierarchy.

Quote:
Haidt’s research reveals that liberals feel strongly about ... preventing harm and ensuring fairness ... Conservatives, on the other hand, are drawn to loyalty, authority and purity, which liberals tend to think of as backward or outdated.

A little later the article notes:

Quote:
“Conservatives spoke in moving terms about respecting authority and order,” he found. “Liberals invested just as much emotion in describing their commitment to justice and equality. Liberals feel authority is a minor-league moral issue; for us, the major leaguers are harm and fairness.”

http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture/morals-authority-3775/

So given the importance of authority figures in a conservatives world view, those with ambition would tend to gravitate to positions where they could wield that authority--church elders, the military, the police. They would also be less likely to challenge the directions of those higher in the hierarchy.

Doesn't quite explain the hatred for Obama--but I think other explanations suffice.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, "conservatives" tend to be less creative than "liberals". This is not a bad thing, unless it affects one's ability to accept other's ideas.

Liberals may see multi-culturalism as a way to accept and engage others. This only works if those that you are inviting have the same abilities.

I am referring to a mindset, not a political persuasion... I have met many political "liberals" who are very rigid and unaccepting and many political "conservatives" who believe strongly in individual freedoms.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you guys know that Germany, France and Britain have all said that multiculturalism does not work.
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Surely you guys know that Germany, France and Britain have all said that multiculturalism does not work.

Surely you have never set foot in any of these countries and have no idea of what you speak.

Germany has a very interesting experiment with multiculturalism in the post war era with many conflicts that were subjectively insurmountable and based on incompatible cultural foundations.

It turns out that the rift is always much deeper when it runs parallel to socio-economic fault lines. A decent economy and the availability of actual social services (schooling, childcare) has done wonders for integration, whereas postulating has done exactly nothing.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuser,

I thought you were plonked! Why bother?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neither know nor care what he said, but it's been all over the leading news sources and is readily Googled.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to a number of countries. The one which celebrates its multi cultural nature the most is the USA.There is a small group who have multi backgrounds- like nearly every American- who will tell you that we must close the door because multi doesn't work.
American culture is a composite culture, you ever heard of the "melting pot"?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker

I think the USA has really been more of an assimilation and integration culture ie "melting pot". We are a country that has, historically, accepted and integrated other cultures into ours. Not always easily. Distinct cultures, for the most part, are not a big part of our makeup. Historically, immigrants have wanted to belong to the larger society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: