myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolronck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Is it possible to windsurf in december and january in Oregon coast, for exemple at Pistol River or is it to cold ?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even read the thread? It answers your question pretty well.
trudyl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Oregon coast in Dec Reply with quote

Once a few years ago, there was about 3-4 days of north wind right
before Christmas. Something like 8 feet at 18 seconds. It was the
best sailing I ever had on the Oregon coast. It would flatten out
to get out and then these bombs would come in, actually scary
a few times coming in. However, this only happened once since
10+ years I've been sailing the Oregon coast. Once in a while we
get a north wind day in the middle of winter, but it is very rare.

Trudy
trudyl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a old video I made of sailing on the Oregon coast in the summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQxSUVnbWY
bolronck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks trudyl !

isobars wrote:
Did you even read the thread? It answers your question pretty well.

Sir isobars, where people speak about december and january ?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dec/Jan are pretty near the dead of winter, at least where OR coast wind patterns are concerned. The N wind pattern generally breaks down early in the fall, say Sept/Oct, and generally returns in early summer, such as May/June. Regardless of seasonal variations around the edges, Dec/Jan is "official" storm-watching season on the coast, when winds are normally southerly and not too uncommonly hit gale levels, sometimes triple digits. That the coastal water and air are often warmer, often by far, than the Gorge temps, the breezy days pictured and discussed in this thread should give you some idea of the conditions you'd face on the mildly windy days.

You're right that no one specifically mentioned winter temps, but the coast winter temperatures aren't generally the issue, and can even be warmer than some midsummer days there. I don't know whether you know who Dana Miller is, but when he said above that the OR coast is tough sailing in strong southerlies, the translation is that "merely expert" sailors would be nuts to even consider it; it's for pros. I've seen him sail conditions like he pictured above past midnight at Florence, with the only source of light being his grin as he came ashore. If you can sail $#!+ like that by Braille, a) my hat -- hell, my scalp -- is off to you, and b) you won't even notice the temps.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the OR coast surfer from Portland who was thrown 10 feet into the air by a shark taking a 23" bite out of his board today. The surfer swam ashore uninjured, but his board was toast. The bottom line: use cheap boards.
dana_miller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Moonsailing Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I'm stoked you remember that moonsesh at Florence?! A rising full moon lighting the way down the fairly sizable line. That was pretty all time for sure. Florence is of course known for blowing late but that was a total gift. Perhaps we should mention that was a Summer sesh though, when it doesn't even get dark till after ten. And man, you're too kind when you infer Pro status on those of us that have been getting out there on the Southies. But it's not always that mean. I say just go hang with someone that's been getting sessions and start getting a feel for it.

Yeah, and "Bolronk" don't worry about the temps. Sure the air can be a little colder in December and January but the water is usually a little warmer -- unless you are in the rivers. The ocean is feeling like mid fifties lately. It really doesn't get that cold until March when those cold high pressures force you to break out the mits. And for what it's worth, I pulled out my water logs from the last couple winters and have been averaging seven days a month on the water that time of year. Admittedly, pretty bleak compared to the twenty or so much longer days we average in the Summer but hey. I just want to work on catching the couple days I miss for one reason or another. And improve on what averages to another day skatesailing as well as four sandsailing to help keep me in shape and improve my mood.

Sure, I was feeling kind of cold and alone out there a couple of those days but man, once you're hooked into a wave, all is forgiven. And you know how it is. Once you're out there, you can't believe you almost didn't go. With respect, Dana.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Moonsailing Reply with quote

dana_miller wrote:
Hey Mike, I'm stoked you remember that moonsesh at Florence?! A rising full moon lighting the way down the fairly sizable line. That was pretty all time for sure. Florence is of course known for blowing late but that was a total gift. Perhaps we should mention that was a Summer sesh though, when it doesn't even get dark till after ten.

Yeah, but, DOOD ... we didn't call the Coast Guard 'til past midnight, and even they said only, "Sorry, sir, but it's too dark for the Coast Guard."

$#eee!+! "Too dark for the United States Coast Guard", and Dana's out playing in the goddam ocean on 10' faces hammered on a 4.2 while everybody else is shivering in their wet down sleeping bags, being pelted by sand penetrating their buttoned-up vans, barely able to see the ocean 100 feet because the blowing wet sand obscured the moon. I think even Maui was getting too dark by then. Wink

How 'bout it, Bolronck ... you up to that? I wasn't, and I was about 19 years younger then IIRC.

Mike \m/
mollyalbright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out Saturday just before dark at Nehalem Bay. Loaded up on a 5.0 with the rain going sideways the whole time. Sailed each tack with the front eye shut because the rain hurt so much. Outgoing tide and south wind made for some little ramps. Nothing great but it is sailing. Dana, let me know if you ever make it this far up north so my wife will let me hit the ocean with someone! (It's easier to blame my trepidation on her, looked absolutely brutal out front that day.) Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: