myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfers Be Aware: A threat to Access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donmcd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Windsurfers Be Aware: A threat to Access Reply with quote

Shocked
Anyone concerned about the cheap public land coal about to be shipped down the Washington side from Powder Basin in Wyoming to India and China by the sainted Warren Buffet and Bill Gates?
We are talking about trains around the clock carrying the dirtiest fossil fuels mined on cheap public land leases and shipped to where it can be burned without our public health safeguards to cash-rich countries with their own reserves which they will tap later when they have depleted our reserves.
Just try crossing the tracks when rail traffic increases at this level.
Google "Coal on a Roll".
http://www.onearth.org/article/coal-on-a-roll
Arch Coal has already purchased a major interest in the old 416 acre shipping yard that was Alcoa in Longview across from Weyerhaeuser. Millennium Bulk Logistics, a subsidiary of the Australian corporation Ambre Energy has requested the shore line permit to establish a bulk commodities deepwater shipping port and intends to ship over 60 million tons of coal out of it.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the RR traffic expected to be so dense that it threatens to close down official gated crossings more or less continuously?
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article.

KMF
donmcd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough estimates indicate that it will be so dense that it will require extra track and there may be a problem with the RR ROW not having enough width in some places. This whole thing is pretty hush hush. Arch coal wants the shipping facility to be called a bulk commodity handling facility and not a coal terminal. River Keepers is aware of this, of course. It amazes me that the general public is not. We can't just assume that everything is OK and someone is always looking out for the public. I would love to think that the traffic won't be that bad and that I will just have to wait a bit once and in a while to launch and to leave. Of course my concerns run deeper but for this forum I am trying to keep to the sailing access issue.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmcd wrote:
We can't just assume that everything is OK and someone is always looking out for the public.

I gave up that assumption at least 50 years ago.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The track wear is already bad. With the new traffic they'll really grind through them in the curves. The way things are done now, fixing up after it's needed rather than before, could be trouble.

Your point about the new sidings needed for passing is correct. I heard they've wanted that for a long time. Crazy stuff. Shocked
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean more local jobs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: