myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back on Kalmus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Back on Kalmus Reply with quote

May I offer something different than the same old sniping back and forth from Speedy and the gang on bullsh!t topics.

Last Monday, the last day of the traditional summer season (and my first since early June), I made the calculated decision to pay for it by going to Kalmus instead of waiting at home for the tide to come. With a forecast of 10-15 with gusts to 25, it seemed like a safer spot. Similar to Iwindsurf, going to Kalmus is like hanging out in the neighborhood. Pops (Bruce) was occupying his traditional spot 2 spaces away from the main access to the beach. Over the years I’ve become friends with him and his wife Gerda. I’ll never forget the simple gesture one day when he rolled up my sail, enabling me to finish talking with Gerda. Gerda along with being artistically crafty, can do a mean repair job on sails at rock bottom prices.

One thing that can be said for paying the effing entry fee of $20 was the bathrooms were open. No need to fear the dreaded forest.

Relieved in body, soul and of wealth I staked out my claim on a decent parking space. Picking a politically safe middle of the road I pulled up next to a white cargo van. This tall lanky dude with a big smile as Pops calls the chief aka Chris offered me his lay-down tarp for rigging. No lie, I bet the Chief’s trash can has better windsurfing gear than the sh!t I cherish!

Other long timers Ms. J, Drew and Paul were just couple of the many who showed up. These guys have been around enough to know bigger days.

What the heck, back and forth with 6.0 barely to OK conditions, good for drag racing.

Speaking of racing Chris with the latest in racing stuff was the fasted observed. If we were racing for money, I would have gone home without the last dollar in my pocket. I failed on every attempt to keep pace. However, not once did I feel he was making fun of me.

Then Drew and I got into it. Sometimes neck and neck. Closer but usually lost.

On the way home I felt good with my 19.75 year old board resting quietly beside me.

Next up - Thursday’s strong cold front according to NOAA!

Last edited by ron.c on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
DriverA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good day at Kalmus despite the light winds. Super low tide, got planing all day with a 7.5, and probably the last time this year I will be able to sail without a wetsuit.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget Graham and his dad

RC
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor Day at $20 entry for less than 20knots of wind...I was nearly that desperate to give it a try. Shocked
But opted instead to go to "secret spot" at inner Lewis Bay in Yarmouth, same windline downwind of Kalmus. I would wait for wind to hopefully come up, or just tool around in the light stuff, or maybe make an upwind run to K.
Turns out the day only provided techie slalom boards and worked for my new board & 7.3m to come into its own, can't believe the planning power on flat water.
Anyways, it probably would have been worth it to pay the $20 just to hang out with the Rieds and other locals.

Two weeks earlier I had a great day at Kalmus, dragging Chris and others in solid 5.0 conditions, in my bathing suit as well. And at a comfy place like Kalmus, in 5.0 winds, all boards seem to work with bliss! Cool
Kalmus has always had the rep & stats for prodicing more wind velocity and will always be my fav for those days when the wind is fickle elsewhere.
Great times to be had...hoping for more soon!
Only hoping they stop charging the f&^^%$20 bucks!!!!
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there some sort of season pass you can get for the parking? I would for sure get one for the summer
Gerda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information from Town of Barnstable website

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/hycc/weeklyevents/BARNSTABLE%20RECREATION%20DIVISION.pdf

Residents $30 per vehicle
Landlord parking $275
Visitor’s Seasonal Parking Permit $200
Visitor’s Weekly Parking Permit $50

Valid at: Craigville Beach, Kalmus Beach, Hathaway’s Pond, Sandy Neck Beach, Sea Street Beach, Veteran’s Beach.
Valid Dates: Memorial Day Weekend 2010 thru Labor Day 2010
Issued to: Anyone with a current, valid vehicle registration.
For purchase at the Kennedy Skating Rink or by the Mail-In Program

http://town.barnstable.ma.us/Recreation/beachparkingregs.pdf

I can't seem to locate daily fee for 2011 although I believe Kalmus was charging $15 for weekday and $20 for weekends and holidays

however 2010 website says

Type: Daily Pass
Cost: $15 including weekends and holidays. $7 at Hathaway’s Pond Only.
Valid At: Craigville Beach, Kalmus Beach, Hathaway’s Pond, Sandy Neck
Beach, Sea Street Beach, Veteran’s Beach.

http://town.barnstable.ma.us/Recreation/beachparkingregs.pdf

also 2010

Gates open at 9am and are locked promptly at 9pm. Parking
fees are collected from 9am to 3:45pm

HBR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: