myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HOW MANY MORE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac,

mac said:
Quote:
And you want to hate on the unemployed and say it isn't mean spirited?

Where did this come from? Hate? All I said was that those that lived beyond their means and got burned, probably learned a lesson and likely won't repeat the same behavior. A lesson learned!

Choose the behavior, choose the consequences! At different times, my wife and I went through several periods of unemployment. No problem, with our lifestyle we could easily live on one person's income.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
with our lifestyle we could easily live on one person's income.

Yet you don't deserve your accumulated nest egg, or early retirement, or, hell, anything you inherited or saved, as long as one dropout or overspender wants it.
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I must take issue with your implication that this individual's ability to windsurf belies eleigibilty for government disability payments. It could well be a physical disability that does not impair performance in windsurfing. Or it could be some mental condition. One shouldn't make assumptions...

You're right pointster. His latest rant implies the latter.

windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on the pretend "like" button for Mo's post
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Gibson Guitar raid......

Feds to Drunk Drivers: Keep On Truckin!Absolute 190-proof bureaucratic madness. by John Hayward 08/31/2011 25

The Old Dominion Freight Line trucking company, based in North Carolina but with 211 service centers across the country, found itself with a personnel problem back in June 2009. An employee with an otherwise clean record approached management and confessed he had a drinking problem. Following U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, the company suspended this employee from his driving position, and referred him for substance abuse counseling.

The company took one other action: they told the alcoholic that they would never let him drive trucks for them again, even after he finished his counseling program. They have apparently told other alcoholic drivers the same thing in the past.

This is not an unreasonable position, for eighteen-wheel trucks are complex and dangerous vehicles, and alcoholism has a very high relapse rate. From an article at About.com:

There is evidence that approximately 90 percent of alcoholics are likely to experience at least one relapse over the 4-year period following treatment. Despite some promising leads, no controlled studies definitively have shown any single or combined intervention that prevents relapse in a fairly predictable manner. Thus, relapse as a central issue of alcoholism treatment warrants further study.

Unfortunately for the Old Dominion Freight Line, other trucking companies, and everyone who finds themselves driving in the shadow of an 18-wheeler with a drunk driver:

Alcoholism is a recognized disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), and disability discrimination violates this federal law. The EEOC said that the company violated both the ADA and the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendment Act of 2008 (ADAAA) by conditioning reassignment to non-driving positions on the enrollment in an alcohol treatment program. In addition, the EEOC argued that Old Dominion’s policy that bans any driver who self-reports alcohol abuse from ever driving again also violates the ADA.

The EEOC filed suit after first attempting to reach a voluntary settlement. The suit seeks monetary relief in the form of reinstatement to a driving position, back pay and compensatory and punitive damages, compensation for lost benefits for two drivers, and an injunction against future discrimination.

“The ADA mandates that persons with disabilities have an equal opportunity to achieve in the workplace. Old Dominion’s policy and practice of never returning an employee who self-reports an alcohol problem to a driving position violates that law,” said Katharine Kores, director of the EEOC’s Memphis District Office, whose jurisdiction includes Arkansas. “While the EEOC agrees that an employer’s concern regarding safety on our highways is a legitimate issue, an employer can both ensure safety and comply with the ADA.”

That’s from the official EEOC press release about the case. Do you want to know why our economy is in free fall, and unemployment remains high? It’s because every business in America is terrified of this out-of-control Administration and its bureaucratic legions. They perpetrate lunacy like this all the time, and your business could be their next target.

If they’re not sending Justice Department troops to confiscate the property of Gibson Guitars, which has the misfortune to be run by a Republican campaign donor, they’re dishing out madcap edicts that cause business costs to skyrocket. As Lachlan Markay of the Heritage Foundation explains:

If the EEOC prevails, of course, it will mean that Old Dominion will still be liable both for any damage to life or property that results from a potential relapse by one of its recovering drivers – which in turn increases the risks involved in investment in the company – and for the cost of trying to ensure that such damage never occurs. All of these new burdens will raise Old Dominion’s cost of doing business, and hence the cost of everything they transport. And all of this can’t possibly ensure that a recovering driver does not relapse without the company’s knowledge.

Your industry could be the next one targeted for demonization by desperate Democrats with plunging poll numbers. You might be the next to catch the madly rolling eyes of a bloated bureaucracy that has ruled common sense out of bounds. No wonder business expansion is static. Every employee you hire is a ticking time bomb of unpredictable liabilities, from exploding ObamaCare costs to incendiary Red Queen decrees from the EEOC.

It’s better not to hire anyone. It might be safest to go out of business altogether. At least that way you won’t be held liable for the damage and deaths caused by a drunk driver you were compelled by the federal government to put behind the wheel of an enormous truck.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this is really working out. Truckers who are considering seeking help - and thereby incriminating themselves - are not likely to do that now, are they? What's more likely; that they'll kick the habit without any help or that they keep drinking and driving?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
coyotewindsurf wrote:
The most notorious recent example in this forum is the entitlement leech whining from his digital pulpit about his measly 19' flat screen TV and lack of an X-Box game console, all while slashing and burning from dawn to dusk (often 6 to 10 hours at a time on the big river) then returning home to cash his government issued disability check.

Quitcherbitchin', lady.

I must take issue with your implication that this individual's ability to windsurf belies eleigibilty for government disability payments. It could well be a physical disability that does not impair performance in windsurfing. Or it could be some mental condition. One shouldn't make assumptions...

Nothing to do with the windsurfer in question (I hope?), but few things pisses me off more than able bodied persons abusing the blue disabled placards. I briefly stopped at Topanga Beach (a popular surf spot) during yesterdays epic south swell. All 5 disabled bays were occupied by cars / SUVs with surfboards on the roof and healthy looking late middle aged gentlemen. Can I assume they all have the placards because they are mentally disabled?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you report them to the police, or better yet, a disabled/handicapped advocacy group? Both are hell on wheels when it comes to abusing that system.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one to judge who REALLY is disabled or who is not, but like capetonian, I also see cars at my golf course in the handicapped places WITH BLUE PLACARDS. I played with one of these guys as a walk on and he was able to play with no handicap that I could see. He played from a cart and probably walked a mile+ around 18 holes, but he couldn't walk the extra 25 yds to the regular parking? I have seen others throw a bag over their shoulder and walk to the carts to load up. Maybe the wives have the handicap?

It's way too easy to get the blue placards it would seem.

Another story that is a little different. I passed by a guy getting a ticket for parking his Vespa scooter in a cross hatched area by a very large handicap spot. The entire area (parking spot and crosshatched space) was large enough to park a 36' motor home. The guy parked the scooter in an area that was well away from the parking spot (which was empty) and in no way would have imposed upon or gotten in the way of the handicapped.

This was a Wal-Mart and if he had parked on the sidewalk by the entry to the store he would have been just fine. He did break the law, but this is not the way to address the problem, in my opinion.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders whether isobars, given his disability, has a handicapped parking placard in addition to his monthly government disability check.

Regarding folks that might have a spouse that's disabled, I think that the handicapped parking placard is often used by the healthy partner. Of course, if the handicapped partner is with them in the car, it's perfectly legal. However, if that's not the case, it's not.

I have an older couple on my street, and the women has a handicapped license plate on her car, but her husband doesn't have one on his truck. She doesn't appear to be visibly handicapped at all and is out and about a lot, but her husband is notably hobbled and painfully bent over. I think that she's scamming, but I could be wrong. I should point out that these folks have an agreement with a neighbor couple that live directly across from me to park in their carport when they are out of town, which is much of the year. Guess who parks in my neighbor's spot, which is located much further away from their home? The women with the handicapped license plate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: