myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hotel and cable park at Nichols Boat Basin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the cable park! Can't wait to take my first pull!

The Hotel, conference center, shops, traffic, tourists, construction chaos...not so much!!
arthurb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few notes on process:
Once a formal proposal is made, the hotel/ office project and the cable park all require approval by the City Planning Commission to determine compliance with city zoning and land use rules. Their decision may be reviewed by the City Council. There will be time for anyone with a position on this to submit comment. All meetings and documents will be public. You'll get a chance to examine detailed site plans, traffic studies, etc.

No proposal has been made yet, but you can contact the Planning Department if you want to be notified about meetings and comment deadlines once a land use process starts. It's important to know that decisions are made based on the "record." A post on iWindsurf or a Letter to the Editor is not part of the record. You need to submit a written or verbal comment during a hearing period if you want decision makers to consider it. The process can be pretty technical, especially since it is near the water and near a freeway ramp. The Planning Department can help explain how the decisions are made and when you can comment. I can tell you based on personal experience that comments really do get read and play an important role.

The cable park proposal also requires action by the Port of Hood River (leases/easements for towers, water use). As a public entity they hold public meetings and take public testimony. I'm also told it will require permits from the Army Corps of Engineers for floats/docks.

I'm not trying to discourage informal discussion such as this thread, just making sure that everyone knows the role of public comment in the official hearings.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you arthurb. You da man! Smile
NaitoDevelopment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I was just made aware of this discussion thread yesterday. I'm sorry I wasn't online earlier to address some of your concerns about the Nichols Boat Works.

I think most of you will really enjoy the improved, pedestrian-friendly streetscape and other improvements we’re making.

In the coming months we’ll be holding several voluntary town hall meetings in Hood River to gather input on the cable park and our project from the community. I hope to meet some of you there there.

In summary, we’re building:

- An 85-89 room Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel
- A gastro-pub with a large deck overlooking the water
- A watersports retailer / pro-shop
- Office space
- The cable park

We’re committed to being as transparent as possible and listening to the community and other waterfront users.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel & pedestrian friendly streetscapes sound very appealing!

Cablepark not so much. Smile

NaitoDevelopment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
I am in favor of the cable park as a pretty fun thing for kids to do. I have no problem with the hotel/motel. I am concerned about parking and congestion, however, and how that will be addressed.

Eric

Eric, when we received the commercial zone change, it came with a “traffic overlay.” This overlay limits the number of vehicle trips to and from the property to about half what you’d see in a normal commercial zone, thereby limiting the amount of "stuff" at the Boat Works. This should limit congestion, but increased vehicle traffic is of course inevitable. We do have ample onsite parking planned for everything we’re constructing.

rigatoni wrote:
I'd be concerned about the pathetic artistic renditions of the development. Looks like it was drawn by an 8 year old. If the developer isn't willing to put some thought into the design and the presentation, I can guarantee he isn't going to care what the finished buildilng looks like either. You guys up there deserve better.

Please don’t get too hung up on these very early-stage conceptual sketches. We are definitely putting a lot of thought into the ascetics and utility of the entire development. Usually, these sketches are only circulated internally – they do not represent the final design of the project. Rest assured all of the buildings will be designed by adults.

jota wrote:
What's going to happen to access to the spit - looks like a reconfigured private road through parking lots and by the front door of a busy (they hope) hotel. What about access to the pedestrian bridge - and are they thinking of making that a vehicle crossing? And congestion on the overpass and throughout the waterfront area, not too mention on Second St in town. The south side of the proposed hotel is yards from an interstate freeway (and an exit no less).

Everything that has happened north of the freeway has been the result of a long process with public involvement which has raised red flags when something seemed poorly-conceived or detrimental to sensible waterfront uses. If the artist's rendering looks crappy and oversimplified let's hold them accountable.

Jota, I hope you came to our town hall meeting on the 25th because I think we addressed a lot of your concerns.

Access to the spit will be improved, via a dedicated private road and Pedestrian Access Way. This road will be much wider than the current ODOT access road and provide separation (and increased safety) between cars, bicycles, and pedestrians through the Boat Works. It will also clear up access to the spit. Right now, getting out there can be confusing if you’re not familiar with the area.

Access to the pedestrian bridge will also be improved, as we are rerouting vehicle traffic away from the bridge, to the north. This leaves a car-free area near the bridge for pedestrians and cyclists. Hopefully we will also be able to improve the landscaping there as well.

CUSalin wrote:
Frumpy Grumpy Smile ... yeah. Would like to see structure necessary to support "cable park."

My first thought is what about the osprey / Herons / Cat-tails / Fishes.., etc that inhabit that space now? Also is a very nice place to paddleboard.

Sorry... just not sympathetic to power driven activities.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the actual volume of the pylons for the cableway. They are much smaller and more open than a ski lift, tram, etc. Please come to one of our town hall meetings, where we are showing complete photos.

We’ve engaged an aquatic ecologist to conduct a biological assessment of the Boat Basin. I have a draft on my desk now. Once it’s complete we will share it with everyone. Based on the draft, the cable park will have a minimal impact on the species currently found in the basin.
NaitoDevelopment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:

The Hotel, conference center, shops, traffic, tourists, construction chaos...not so much!!

CUSalin wrote:

I enjoy reading the varied opinions on this thread!
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaitoDevelopment wrote:
Mulekick84 wrote:

CUSalin wrote:

I enjoy reading the varied opinions on this thread!

You're right Mulekick, cable park users won't drive so they won't contribute to traffic or have to park there. They will all be local people so they can't be considered "tourists." They don't have any money so they won't be going to any "shops," and there will be no "construction" necessary to build the cable park.

westender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Naito: It seems like such a small space for a cable park. If a rider navigated his board device, directly under the cable I suppose hitting the shore or a rider going the other way couldn't happen? Are there plans to enlarge the channel? Question
NaitoDevelopment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Mr. Naito: It seems like such a small space for a cable park. If a rider navigated his board device, directly under the cable I suppose hitting the shore or a rider going the other way couldn't happen? Are there plans to enlarge the channel? Question

There are no plans to enlarge the channel. The cableway will use just under 10 acres of existing water on the south end of the basin.

We will have an 86 foot wide riding area between the cable itself and the shoreline. This width is per the strict German (TUV) standard. There will also be a 250ft span between the north and south legs of the cable, so there is no danger of a head-on collision. Riders will enjoy a >170ft wide path under the cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: