myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hotel and cable park at Nichols Boat Basin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about the pathetic artistic renditions of the development. Looks like it was drawn by an 8 year old. If the developer isn't willing to put some thought into the design and the presentation, I can guarantee he isn't going to care what the finished buildilng looks like either. You guys up there deserve better.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cable parks. The environmental impact of the cable park itself is in fact fairly mellow - it stirs up the water (good) and costs just dollars a day in electricity to run.

And personally, I think there's no question about the fact that hood needs more hotel rooms. They will be filled, without a doubt. Hopefully, the architecture/grounds of the hotel will feel in harmony with the Gorge.

I share Eric's concerns about traffic/parking/congestion impact.... but with good planning, that will hopefully be mitigated! I will probably try to swing by the meeting tomorrow night.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:

We might not be cool enough to wear t-shirts and board shorts outside our wetsuits but we're nicer.

hey...some of us are
GarryW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't anybody worried about the sight of a FOUR story building on the waterfront?
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable towers and four story building with acres of parking will look just fine anchoring the view of the fifty wind generators just across the river.

KMF
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about getting your foot in the door. This article talks like the hotel and cable ride is just the tip of the iceberg??? WTF?

http://hoodriverbizbuzz.com/?p=1764
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny those 'renderings' were crap, is that 'impressionist' art done by a 7 year old? You can hire that out for $500 and get a 'realism' effect instead of doing it on a dinner napkin....
puppydog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumpy old men
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an eyesore to me. The Hotel, was inevitable. Better than more industrial development (a hundred juice trucks), but would like to see more detail on the structure(s) needed to support cable part. From what I think I see, it looks like shit. One more think to block views of the river and Gorge.
jota

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short sarcastic comments might seem grumpy, but people need to look critically at the hotel/conference center/parking/etc plans because once it's built there's no going back.

Most of the enthusiasm is about the cable park and I'll bet odds that it never gets approved - and Naito won't care because all they really want is their land development (and the basin mouth will probably close off next winter anyway).

What's going to happen to access to the spit - looks like a reconfigured private road through parking lots and by the front door of a busy (they hope) hotel. What about access to the pedestrian bridge - and are they thinking of making that a vehicle crossing? And congestion on the overpass and throughout the waterfront area, not too mention on Second St in town. The south side of the proposed hotel is yards from an interstate freeway (and an exit no less).

Everything that has happened north of the freeway has been the result of a long process with public involvement which has raised red flags when something seemed poorly-conceived or detrimental to sensible waterfront uses. If the artist's rendering looks crappy and oversimplified let's hold them accountable.

But hey - a cable park! Soooooo awesome dude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: