myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
common sense prevails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

Then or now, the Republicans really don't want to address our illegal immigration problem in a meaningful way.

Unless they can use it to blame Obama or the dems.

mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Im lost . Nancy took the gavel in Jan 2007, gave it up in Jan 2011, how is that "six years"?

Congratulations. It was a little test to see if my many opponents actually read what I write. Apparently you do! You have won a week in an un-airconditioned room in Falls Church.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
In order to move major legislative initiatives through the Beltway, you need 60 votes, 60.

Or a strong leader.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
In reading your earlier post, I mis-read it thinking you were talking about the Democrat's win of both the House and Senate in November 2006. While my above post reflects that misunderstanding in my comments, the bottom line still yields the same outcome. Republicans are not interested in generating important legislation to solve our illegal immigration problem.

Why would they be. If they did , the corporate donors would disappear. Kind of like Fannie/Freddie..they talk a big game, then the Mortgage Bankers Association takes m out behind the woodshed.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
Im lost . Nancy took the gavel in Jan 2007, gave it up in Jan 2011, how is that "six years"?

Congratulations. It was a little test to see if my many opponents actually read what I write. Apparently you do! You have won a week in an un-airconditioned room in Falls Church.

I read all your stuff, I didnt realize this was the Oxford debate club. I thought it was a bunch of windsurfers killing time between sesssions. I want to trade my prize in for a weekend at a Marriot in Des Moines with Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin Very Happy
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question about it, mygybe is dependable. He rarely fails to find a way to belittle his opposition in some way.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of items were suggested in a post earlier today, in the seemingly never ending quest to portray the oil industry, and Exxon in particular, as "not paying their fair share".

First, after a concession that Exxon pays a lot of taxes........they do.....comes the qualifier...."of course, some of that comes back in subsidies".......No it doesn't. The so-called "subsidies" are deductions against pre-tax income. The taxes that are paid are the final liability.

Second, "Exxon transports much of its oil to American markets through ports improved using public taxes". Shouldn't Exxon pay towards the upkeep of those public facilities?

Exxon brings crude oil into it's US refineries through pipelines in which it is an owner, or though pipelines owned by others for which it pays based on throughput. It also brings crude oil into the US in vessels. Most go directly to their own offloading facilities at their refineries, or to privately owned facilities such as the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port which services the Gulf refineries. It is possible that they ship small cargoes through public facilities. If that is true, they would pay a fee to do so just like any other importer.

Next.

Last edited by mrgybe on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How conveniently we forget that during the Bush years the threat of a veto, the inability to override it, and limited available time set the Congressonal agenda. Now maybe if the Dems had elected 60 bull goose loonies....
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I read all your stuff, I didnt realize this was the Oxford debate club. I thought it was a bunch of windsurfers killing time between sesssions. I want to trade my prize in for a weekend at a Marriot in Des Moines with Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin Very Happy

I'd join you on that weekend! Oxford "debate club"........do I have to teach you everything! Oxford Union.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
No question about it, mygybe is dependable. He rarely fails to find a way to belittle his opposition in some way.

I'm from the Corporate world..........I don't call it "belittling".......I prefer "rightsizing".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: