myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Bingen Marina good for intermediates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in White Salmon and Stevenson is too far to drive. There's a wind shadow at Home Valley. Sheesh. Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
isobars wrote:

Embarrassment? Does she really think anyone is watching HER, and has not been in her shoes, and does not understand the dues we must pay...

When the current was rippin me and a buddy left from the new waterpark launch and rode up to the White Salmon on 4.7's, it was great! Came in to check on a friend, went out again... this time the wind died. Buddy ended up at the Hook, and me? Well, I gave up power slogging and sailed up to the Hatchery. Hitched a ride back... I didn't think it was any big deal, certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. Personally, I think having the option to quit fighting the current and pull out at a different spot is kind of nice, and makes the Gorge a pretty safe place to sail.

Right, Liz. The easy way out often beats the hard way, especially in a community of like-minded people. The only risk besides hypothermia is barges, and that's manageable once we learn to study the river upwind and downwind before ever crossing. The other hassles are just that: hassles.

A good tip for a long-distance "power slog": do it sitting on the board. You'll know quickly whether your net progress is east or west, and it's much less effort than standing up.

Mike \m/
mmyers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the marina a couple weeks ago. The wind was up and down, and of the few that were trying to get out, the one with some wind in his sail was pushed into the little island, and the two that paddled out a little, the current took them to the net that was just down stream of the launch..
Bret

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingen is nice, it's best to body drag your board to the wind line or swim it there. Another real nice little place that has real nice wind is off the Hook right at Wells Island. However you get there it's nice.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she's really not going to like the two fishing nets that have been parked off of the Bingen launch for the last month.
Mosier is safe, nice parking.
Stevenson is 12 miles further than Mosier, and has more steady winds than anyplace in the gorge, and a great beach. No kiters allowed at Bob's beach either.

KMF
svance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: si. Reply with quote

Stevenson. Stevenson. Stevenson!
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge learning curve, pre-event site and kiters so adjust accordingly. The Marina, inside, the Hook, Bingen/Mosier, Rowena/ Doug's/Avery, the Hatch/Swell. Maryhill/Rufus in a "normal" year, but current is still very strong so be careful. Roosevelt/Arlington is a better bet this year, but she'll enjoy it more for a weekend then a day trip.
Bret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie get's the sail ripped out of his hands at the eventsite fyi windjunkie.net
ascott72

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy and I sailed Bingen for the first time last Saturday. The cloud line was right at Hood River making the Hatch/Event Site too light and sites East like Rowena and Dougs were looking too wild for my first day back out on the water. Rigged a 5.5 but quickly came in again and rigged down to a 4.7 and that was perfect. It was pretty good. I am surprised people don't sail there more often. Easy parking, nice rigging area, a couple of ramps to walk down to the water. There was a little bit of a wind shadow close by shore but it wasn't bad. The pilings actually helped create a nice patch of smooth water that was great for jibing.

Would agree with previous comments, though, about it not being ideal for beginners because if you don't make it back to your launch, to the east and west of the launch aren't particularly friendly.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saturday driving back from sailing out east, Bingen look good less gusty than the Hatch as I drove thru. Back in the the late 80's they used to do speed sailing there. I probably sailed there a dozen times and cannot really say anything bad about it but lack of swell and a bit of shadow on OR side. If dougs is 3.0 and the hatch is raining (last sat) its not a bad option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: